Replacing PICT files with JPEG files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing PICT files with JPEG files

I had several dozen multimedia files in the old PICT format so wishing to enhance these I thought it best to first convert them to JPEG. I used Photoshop Elements Process Multiple Files command and the converted images with jpg suffixes were placed in the same folder as before. I then deleted the PICT files. However in Reunion’s multimedia window every one of the new files now bears a red question mark and the message that Reunion can’t find the file. Do I have to relink each image individually? Is there a way to short circuit this?

Re: Replacing PICT files with JPEG files

Originally posted by Tony Goring View Post
    I had several dozen multimedia files in the old PICT format so wishing to enhance these I thought it best to first convert them to JPEG. I used Photoshop Elements Process Multiple Files command and the converted images with jpg suffixes were placed in the same folder as before. I then deleted the PICT files. However in Reunion’s multimedia window every one of the new files now bears a red question mark and the message that Reunion can’t find the file. Do I have to relink each image individually? Is there a way to short circuit this?
    Unfortunately, every individual file will have to be relinked.

One way to relink the images is to do this...

1. Open the folder containing all of the converted .jpg files. Move that window to the side.

2. Open your family file.

3. Place both windows side-by-side.

4. In the Reunion window, choose Reports > Multimedia Usage. (If you have a very large family file with lots of images, you may need to click the "Build Multimedia Usage Report" button in order to see the report.)

5. Then, select an item in red at the top. In the bottom section, you will see to whom or to what source that image is linked.

6. Click on the person's name (or source) in the bottom section.

**If you clicked on a name, the Multimedia sidebar will open showing the image(s) linked to that person in addition to the image(s) that are now missing. Drag and drop the correct .jpg file from it's current storage location on your Mac directly into the appropriate section of the Multimedia sidebar. Then, delete the broken link (camera — or image — with a question mark) by selecting it in the Multimedia sidebar and pressing the "delete" key on your keyboard.

**If you clicked on a source number, the Source window will open to the Multimedia section. Drag and drop the correct .jpg file from it's current storage location on your Mac directly into the Multimedia section of the Source window. Then, delete the broken link (question mark) by selecting it in the Multimedia section and clicking the minus icon "-" near the bottom of that window. Afterward, click Done in the source window.

7. Repeat step 6 for every missing item.

Another option (instead of dragging/dropping in step 6) would be to double-click on each image (or camera) with a question mark. This opens the Media window. Then, click on the "Find..." button and use the window that opens to navigate through your folders and select the correct .jpg file. Then, click Choose.

As a side note: if you were to upgrade to Reunion 12, the images would still need to be individually relinked. However, you could drag and drop an image from your Finder directly into the Multimedia Usage report panel to fix a broken link. Additional information about Reunion 12 and how to purchase an upgrade to Reunion 12 can be found here.
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Re: Replacing PICT files with JPEG files

Many thanks. I've accomplished it using your second option. I will shortly be upgrading.
      Tony

Comment

Working...
      X