Match and Merge People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Match and Merge People

I am trying to combine two Reunion files, which have several of the same people in them. It's not clear which file has the most information on each of the duplicates, so I would like to combine the complete files and then merge the duplicates.

However, when I try to do this, it usually doesn't let me check the boxes to merge the spouse and children (even though they are often the same in both files), so for each person I end up with duplicate spouses and children.

Thanks for any ideas.

Marian

Re: Match and Merge People

A couple of thoughts:
    I find the automatic merging of children dangerous - especially if there are two of the same gender with forenames that starts with the same letter.
    The merge spouse tick box won't come up if the spouse doesn't have a surname.

Comment

Re: Match and Merge People

Originally posted by m_c_hill View Post
      I am trying to combine two Reunion files, which have several of the same people in them. It's not clear which file has the most information on each of the duplicates, so I would like to combine the complete files and then merge the duplicates.

However, when I try to do this, it usually doesn't let me check the boxes to merge the spouse and children (even though they are often the same in both files), so for each person I end up with duplicate spouses and children.

Thanks for any ideas.

Marian
      Merging files in Reunion can be a daunting task, especially so if the files are large. But there are steps that make the process less onerous.
      1. Make sure you have back-up copies of both old files!
      2. Before merging the files, create a unique flag within each of the different files: “File A” and “File B” will work well.
      3. Also before merging, Mark all people and set the new flag in each file to = YES. This allows you to differentiate between the data sets in the merged file using FIND flag = File A or File B set to YES.
      4. At this point you are ready to perform the actual merge. Once done, you will have two sets of data in one file, complete with duplicate records for those people present in both old files.
      5. MAKE A BACK-UP of this new file!
      6. Now you are ready to begin the process of merging duplicate records.
      7. Start small. Choose a known pair of records for a single person. Note that the spelling of the name must be exactly the same in both records!
      8. Now use Match & Merge to find and combine the data into a single record.
      9. Once merged, examine that record. In all likelihood you will have duplicate sets of some data. (Situation normal.)
      10. Manually massage this data such that you have only one reference to any given event, fact, or note. (Be sure to preserve the citation(s) with the evidence referenced for each field from both data sets.)
      11. Now change BOTH of the (new) flags to = NO. (indicates the record has been processed.)
      12. Now repeat for the next person. This includes spouses and children. (As you gain knowledge of how M&M works, you can begin to work on larger groups of people –– couples.)

Since there are a LOT of steps in this process, there is a great deal of time and effort invested to do this project. Do it in small doses to preserve your sanity.

Lastly, once you have merged all duplicate people records, it is time to move on to merging your duplicate sources! But that is another story –– a similar, but simpler process.
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
      X