ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Genealogy

Old 28 November 2018, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Uploading GED file to other websites (or not!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katharine Ott View Post
Hello - I produce what I call a "skeleton tree" GED file which only contains direct ancestors, no photos, no sources, just names and dates. I upload those to sites like Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA, Gedmatch and now MyHeritage. I try to update them periodically, but should probably do that on a regular schedule. Since different people attach themselves to different testing groups, I feel it can only be a good thing to cast my net over many waters! My experience with MyHeritage is much more recent and intriguing although I'm not having good luck getting matches to write back. And I am not real keen on the fact that they consider a match to someone else's tree as a "Record Match." Good luck with your research!
Katherine, I have a question that you may have some advice about. I'm exporting a gedcom file to FamilyTreeDNA that has living people simply shown as "living", for privacy concerns. However, that includes ME. FTDNA asks to identify myself as a person in the tree and only the deceased "Murray" people show up when I type in my surname. So I cannot upload a gedcom to the site. What am I missing to do?
Thanks.
Old 28 November 2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsbridger View Post
Katherine, I have a question that you may have some advice about. I'm exporting a gedcom file to FamilyTreeDNA that has living people simply shown as "living", for privacy concerns. However, that includes ME. FTDNA asks to identify myself as a person in the tree and only the deceased "Murray" people show up when I type in my surname. So I cannot upload a gedcom to the site. What am I missing to do?
Thanks.
OYE. Never mind. I guess FTDNA will aide with hiding the identities of the living. I assumed I had to do this. Sorry.
Old 28 November 2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsbridger View Post
OYE. Never mind. I guess FTDNA will aide with hiding the identities of the living. I assumed I had to do this. Sorry.
Hey Kingsbridger - You're right, I think most of the DNA sites have wised up to privacy concerns now. Good luck with your research!

ReunionTalk > Genealogy > Uploading GED file to other websites (or not!)