Nervous about upgrading to 12 with Dropbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous about upgrading to 12 with Dropbox

I've been away from genealogy for about a year and have not been using my family file. I'm ready to get back into it but I'm nervous about upgrading and using Dropbox.

I have Reunion 10 and recently upgraded from Mavericks - 10.9.5 - to Yosemite - 10.10.5. I also updated my iPad with the Reunion App to ios 11 and only then discovered that the app would not work with ios 11!

I already use Dropbox for back up with Reunion 10.

I'm nervous about now trying to use Reunion 11 or 12 in an apparently different way than I currently use 10 in Dropbox. Plus, trying to use Reunion Touch, also with Dropbox on my iPad is going to be disconcerting. (I purposely did not try to sync the previous Reunion app).

When I first started with Dropbox years ago, I nearly lost my family file in Roots Magic when using two different PCs. I can see that happening again with Reunion 11 and Reunion Touch because I won't have both the Mac and the iPad on and connected to wi-fi all the time.

Sorry for the length of this. Can someone help me with the issues about Dropbox syncing when the systems are not always connected?

Thanks

Re: Nervous about upgrading to 12 with Dropbox

As long as you follow the setup instructions, there should be no problems (except for, like anything else, the occasional weird exception). The synching happens in the background automatically, is close to instant and, as Apple likes to say, it just works. This method is light years advanced over the synching procedure used on the earlier versions of Reunion and Touch.

I have Reunion on an iMac and MacBook Pro and Touch on an iPad and iPhone. I have had zero problems with synching between all these devices from day one of Leister using the Dropbox for synching. Hopefully this testimonial will allay your nervousness.

Also, if your Mac will run Sierra, I highly recommend doing that update. It just simply makes your Mac run nicer than Mavericks and Yosemite. High Sierra makes major changes in the OS file structure and the Photos application, so I recommend users to study these issues vs. their personal usage situation and then decide if they want High Sierra.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks for your response, Bob. I ended up installing Reunion 12 and converted my family file, but I haven't done much in it yet.

I was remembering what happened years ago with the two PCs I used with RootsMagic and Dropbox syncing. Everytime I opened RM, not even making any changes, just looking around--Dropbox treated it as a change in the file. This is my concern with using Reunion Touch. Generally, I would only use Touch on the iPad to look at my database, not make any changes--but I don't know if Dropbox will treat it as a change just to look at it!

I'll give it a go with some actual changes that might be generic and see if I run into any trouble. I still think I'm going to have to be cognizant of making sure any changes I make on the iPad get synced with the MacBookPro because I don't have the Pro up and running all day long.

Can you address whether you leave your Mac and/or laptop on and functioning daily? My other wrinkle, I suppose, is that I don't always look at the mobile app on the iPad when connected to wi-fi. It's making my head spin a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaS View Post
        ....Can you address whether you leave your Mac and/or laptop on and functioning daily? My other wrinkle, I suppose, is that I don't always look at the mobile app on the iPad when connected to wi-fi. It's making my head spin a bit!
        Linda, Your family file is in (only in) the Dropbox folder. When either your Mac or iPad Reunion is opened, it is synced. This will be available to the other when it is opened.
        rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Re: choosing a default folder

I have downloaded Reunion12 and have the family file in DropBox. (I don't remember how the file got into DropBox. Either it happened automatically or I moved it myself.) Since the upgrade to 12, every time I open Reunion I need to direct it to DropBox and select the file. The window that shows as the first place to look is Documents on the Mac. How do I get it linked to the DropBox?

Comment

Re: syncing

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
            Linda, Your family file is in (only in) the Dropbox folder. When either your Mac or iPad Reunion is opened, it is synced. This will be available to the other when it is opened.
            After I get the iPad app, I will monitor the syncing to see if it works with my usage. Since I don't leave my Mac up and running all day long, I'll make a habit of turning on to sync at the end of the day. I use my iPad for general usage most days but not always connected to wi-fi.

In addition, when I've made changes in Reunion on the Mac, I'll run over to my iPad to connect to wi-fi right then to make sure the changes get synced.

I can see a scenario of making changes on the Mac, then later using iPad to work in Reunion and make changes, but not being connected to wi-fi on the iPad. That would present a conflicted issue re: syncing. So maybe my lesson will be to ONLY use Touch when connected to wi-fi.

Do any of you experts out there understand what I'm saying about the syncing issues?

Thanks for your attention.

Comment

Re: choosing a default folder

Originally posted by B Courtney View Post
              ...every time I open Reunion I need to direct it to DropBox and select the file. The window that shows as the first place to look is Documents on the Mac. How do I get it linked to the DropBox?
              Open your family file and choose Reunion > Preferences > Folders > Family Files. Then click "Choose Other Folder" to tell Reunion where you'd like it to default (when opening Reunion, or choosing File > Open).
              Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaS View Post
                ...Generally, I would only use [Reunion]Touch on the iPad to look at my database, not make any changes--but I don't know if Dropbox will treat it as a change just to look at it!
                Simply opening a family file with ReunionTouch and viewing data and not making changes means... exactly that: you've made no changes. Thus, the family file on the Mac won't see any changes to sync.
                Frank Leister
                Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
                X