How to show BMD certificate info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to show BMD certificate info

I have read lots and lots of posts about this subject, but can't quite find what I am looking for.
    Is there a way to show the following info on a source?

• Registration District & Sub District
    • Register number
    • When & where born (time also given if multiple births)
    • Name
    • Sex
    • Name & Surname of Father
    • Name & Maiden Name and previous married surnames of Mother
    • Occupation of Father
    • Description & Residence of informant
    • Date Registered
    • Details of name/s entered after Registration

I have already created the source and attached the image of the certificate, but I'd like to be able have the typed up version available too for ease fo reading. At first I thought I would create source fields for the above entries, but would that make the new fields appear on all types of source, rather than just vital record sources?

Apologies for the noob type question, I'm on a steep learning curve!
    Researching AUSTIN, BAILEY, WISEMAN

Re: How to show BMD certificate info

Originally posted by N Merrick View Post
    ...At first I thought I would create source fields for the above entries, but would that make the new fields appear on all types of source, rather than just vital record sources?
    No. When source fields are created, they are "available" to be used in any source template. However, they would not "automatically" appear in each source template.

Information about source templates and how to add fields to a particular template can be found in your manual by searching for "what source template." To access the manual, choose Help -> Contents or click on the "?" in the lower-left corner of just about any Reunion window.

Note: if you are unsure as to how to create the source fields you want, search the manual for "add new source field."

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you, I had already read the manual relating to sources, but now I know which bit is relevant to what I need, I will go and have another read of it and work my way through.

Cheers

Comment

I have read lots and lots of posts about this subject, but can't quite find what I am looking for.
        Is there a way to show the following info on a source?

• Registration District & Sub District
        • Register number
        • When & where born (time also given if multiple births)
        • Name
        • Sex
        • Name & Surname of Father
        • Name & Maiden Name and previous married surnames of Mother
        • Occupation of Father
        • Description & Residence of informant
        • Date Registered
        • Details of name/s entered after Registration

I have already created the source and attached the image of the certificate, but I'd like to be able have the typed up version available too for ease of reading. At first I thought I would create source fields for the above entries, but would that make the new fields appear on all types of source, rather than just vital record sources?

Apologies for the noob type question, I'm on a steep learning curve!
        According to Evidence Explained (3rd Edition), you need the following information for the source itself:
        1. Location (Jurisdiction)
        2. Certificate type and number
        3. Date (year only)
        4. Person(s) name
        5. Repository
        6. Repository location.

Nothing else should be included. That said, you must record every piece of information given on the certificate! To do that you need to enter the raw data in the appropriate fields for each person named –– infant(s), father, and mother, and then link that information to the source via a citation.

If the image of the certificate is difficult to read, you may want to create a transcription and make a PDF document and attach that to the source as well as the image.
        Arnold
        -----
        RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Thank you. Your reply came just at the right time. I am currently working on how I want to add the census information as well as the BMD and as I am becoming more familiar with the software I am enjoying it more and more. It's so versatile, but I do thank you for the clarification on data needed for the source as it has helped me define what I am doing a little clearer.

Cheers

PS is the data required for the census similar to that of a BMD certificate? Where can I find out more about Evidence Explained? Is that the book I have heard people mention?
          Last edited by N Merrick; 29 November 2018, 03:29 PM. Reason: To add clarity

Comment

I agree with Arnold. To type out everything that appears on the birth certificate, or other source, is inappropriate extra work. Take, for example, 'occupation of father': that should appear in the appropriate slot in a family view, with that little red number to show the source of that info. And so on.

Comment

Thank you. The more time I spend with the software, the more I am understanding how to use it better. Appreciate the help

Comment

Thank you. Your reply came just at the right time. I am currently working on how I want to add the census information as well as the BMD and as I am becoming more familiar with the software I am enjoying it more and more. It's so versatile, but I do thank you for the clarification on data needed for the source as it has helped me define what I am doing a little clearer.

Cheers

PS is the data required for the census similar to that of a BMD certificate? Where can I find out more about Evidence Explained? Is that the book I have heard people mention?
                Evidence Explained is indeed the book that many other researchers have called the gold standard and use it as such. It is an 892 page tome and is very dense reading –– it is best taken in SMALL doses. You can buy it on Amazon.com for a good price. Most libraries with a genealogical archive will have a copy as well.

Census records have different fields:
                1. Census ID
                2. Jurisdiction (county & state)
                3. Schedule type
                4. Copy ID
                5. Civil division (local location)
                6. Page
                7. Household
                8. Person of intererst
                9. Repository
                10. Repository location
                11. Date of access
                Arnold
                -----
                RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
                X