ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using ReunionTouch

Old 02 November 2018, 07:20 AM

Arrow Why Dropbox?

Ive synced my reunion files across my iMac and iPad using Dropbox. It works fine but I'm approaching the free limit for Dropbox storage. The cost of more storage in Dropbox (in Australia at least) is very high, is much higher than the cost of storage in iCloud.

Why do we have to use Dropbox? Why can't we use iCloud?
Old 02 November 2018, 12:41 PM
Kim

Default Re: Why Dropbox?

I agree. I don't use ReunionTouch exactly because it requires the use of Dropbox. I'd probably use it if I could sync through iCloud. But my preference would be to sync over wifi at home.

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/
Old 02 November 2018, 05:55 PM
Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick Dilley View Post
...I'm approaching the free limit for Dropbox storage.
You may find this FAQ helpful -- it outlines how to change your thumbnail settings, which can often save quite a bit of space (especially if you have a lot of images).

Quote:
Why do we have to use Dropbox? Why can't we use iCloud?
When looking at ways of syncing automatically we found Dropbox to be the most reliable option available. iCloud was not nearly as reliable, and has continued to be problematic - even without supporting iCloud we've had to help users resolve issues created by iCloud, such as files being moved around without the user being given appropriate information about what is being done, where files are going to end up, etc. At this time we simply believe iCloud has too many issues that need to be resolved.

If Apple makes improvements to iCloud we're open to reconsidering our stance; but, at this time, from what we've seen of iCloud and the support issues it's created, we feel Dropbox is still the better option.
Old 02 November 2018, 06:47 PM

Smile Re: Why Dropbox?

Thanks Mark. I really do appreciate the full and prompt responses to questions on this site.
Old 13 November 2018, 06:15 AM

Question Re: Why Dropbox?

Thanks Mark, but my problem is not with the size of my Reunion file itself but with the total size of the several thousand linked source documents which I have also sought to place in Dropbox so that I can access them on another Mac or MacBook while I am away from home.

If I was to put my Reunion file in Dropbox and the linked sources in iCloud (presuming that I could do that), would the sources in iCloud still be linked to the Reunion file in Dropbox when I accessed them from another Mac or MacBook?
Old 14 November 2018, 01:08 PM
Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick Dilley View Post
If I was to put my Reunion file in Dropbox and the linked sources in iCloud (presuming that I could do that), would the sources in iCloud still be linked to the Reunion file in Dropbox when I accessed them from another Mac or MacBook?
That should, technically, work, but we can't recommend it as Apple may decide to change how files are stored in iCloud. That could cause problems with the links stored in Reunion.

It wouldn't be the first time -- changes to the iPhoto Library, and the switch to Photos, caused similar problems in the past.

So, while it technically should work, I'm afraid we can't officially support it. If you run into any issues we'll do what we can to help resolve them, of course, but we may not be able to.

Sorry I don't have better news,
Old 14 November 2018, 05:52 PM

Thanks again Mark for the prompt reply.
Old 16 November 2018, 01:40 PM

Warwick: You may want to also see this current thread for a bit more info: http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=12468.
Old 16 November 2018, 04:53 PM

Thanks Bob.

ReunionTalk > Using ReunionTouch > Why Dropbox?