X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reunion Talk Digest emails always going to my Mac Mail junk folder

Originally posted by Peter Cook View Post
    Coming into this a bit late ...

When setting up the Mail rule, did you include "Stop evaluating rules" as a last step ?
    Hello Peter,

I have no Mail Rules of any kind set in my current configuration of Mac Mail (Version 11.3 [3445.6.18]). As explained in the originating post, I use solely the exemption for Contact listings as a "white listing" barrier to junk mail—and this works exceptionally well for all purposes except, it seems, ReunionTalk Digest alerts.

In my current configuration of Mail preferences, no "stop evaluating rules" option is available, presumably because no Rules are set. The Rules window is completely empty.

For years I used Rules to fight junk mail, until I had a list as long as my arm, which spammers kept on getting around anyway. I deleted all my old Rules, reset Mail preferences, and adopted this new anti-junk mail strategy when I realised that the integration of Mail and Contacts had advanced to a stage where this was simple, mostly very reliable, and very practical. It also encourages good housekeeping with keeping Contacts listings up to date. That has benefits not only for handling junk mail, but also for maintaining Contacts as a key tool on my iPhone and iPad, and for navigation purposes.

ReunionTalk Digest alerts are the only Contact listing of which I am aware for which this does not work. Not a huge issue—easily resolved by manual checking the Junk folder, as I found again with the latest alert—but it would be nice to solve the puzzle.

Regards,

Gato
    Last edited by Gato; 08 May 2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Not sure if you want to dive in this deep but you can get detailed logs from the connection doctor. See here for more info:

Also if that isn't deep enough this may still work:

In either case search the files for Header or Spam or Filter (case my be important depending on your program used to look at the files).

J Sadler

Comment

Very interesting that this thread has morphed from a question about a single item not ending up where one wants into a more general discussion about junk mail. I like good healthy discussions like this.

At any rate, since the topic is more general now..... Gato, you haven't mentioned who your email provider is and I don't really want to know. What I will say is that one needs to use an email provider that has excellent junk filtering, thus pretty much eliminating the problem at one's local level of their own Mac, PC, tablet, etc... thus eliminating the need for local control through rules or Contacts provisions.

I advise my users to use any of what I call the big three -- Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail. All three services are in the excellent category at stopping junk mail at their servers. Unless, via their on-line settings one chooses to actually download the junk, one never sees the junk unless one goes to their website to view the junk. On the average day, I receive 40-50 emails but only find junk getting through for maybe a half dozen items in a month. (I use Gmail.) Several times a month, I will go to their website to see if any "good" email ended up in Junk.

My two pennies. (My users? I've been working the admin side of email for many years.)
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Gato View Post
          ... does anyone else see a similar issue?
          Gato, ReunionTalk is now delivered to a Mail.app Trash folder for me, too. Not sure how long; maybe 6 mo?

I've had this AOL account more than 25 years. AFAIK, the setup hasn't been changed in the last 3 years or so, except macOS and iOS updates. That means High Sierra / iCloud integration, though. I presumed something was changing on AOL's end as a result of their push to return to a paid service.

Anyway, Junk and Trash are set to be deleted manually, so it's not lost - just have to go fetch.
          -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
          MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
          MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Reitz View Post
            Gato, ReunionTalk is now delivered to a Mail.app Trash folder for me, too. Not sure how long; maybe 6 mo?

I've had this AOL account more than 25 years. AFAIK, the setup hasn't been changed in the last 3 years or so, except macOS and iOS updates. That means High Sierra / iCloud integration, though. I presumed something was changing on AOL's end as a result of their push to return to a paid service.

Anyway, Junk and Trash are set to be deleted manually, so it's not lost - just have to go fetch.
            To the Trash rather than the Junk? That’s a somewhat different problem. Unless you have chosen to send Junk straight to the Trash, of course. The only thing that should send incoming email straight to Trash would be a rule you have set either in Mail or at your ISP.

Which version of Mail and OSX or IOS are you using?

Comment

Apple made a change that tells Mail to no longer recognize emails from/to AOL.com as a valid address. I discovered this when I found out that emails I sent to an AOL addressee using my Dot Mac address were not being delivered and emails I sent to me.com or mac.com from my AOL address were also not being delivered. Investigation revealed the Mail servers are marking them as "invalid" or "spam".

BTW, I have you beat: 29.92 years with AOL (this includes the AL-PE time) and am probably the LAST Charter Member of AOL still with them. When you have had an email address as long as you and I have, it is impossible to just drop it unless there is a forwarding period.
              Dennis B. Swaney
              Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Comment

It is the free AOL email that is terminating. One has to upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold to keep using AOL email. AOL started notifying users in late 2017 as I recall.
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                  It is the free AOL email that is terminating. One has to upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold to keep using AOL email. AOL started notifying users in late 2017 as I recall.
                  Bob, there isn't a Mac AOL Desktop Gold version. When you go to download ADG you get this message (as of 11 Dec 18):

"I'm sorry, at this time, AOL Desktop Gold is not available for MAC Operating Systems. AOL Desktop Gold must be downloaded on your Windows PC. Go to get.aol.com/aol-desktop-gold on your PC to complete the download process."

Also, I have never received an email from AOL telling me my 30 year old account is being terminated.
                  Dennis B. Swaney
                  Prescott, AZ

Comment

This is the first I've heard of this. I've been with AOL since my old Apple IIc days. Changed to the 'free' version maybe 10 years ago. Have never had a problem using my AOL address.

If they discontinue it, which I have never heard of, I'll have to take a skydive without a parachute---I've got my address out there to 1000's of people/sites/businesses, etc.
                    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
                      This is the first I've heard of this. I've been with AOL since my old Apple IIc days. Changed to the 'free' version maybe 10 years ago. Have never had a problem using my AOL address.

If they discontinue it, which I have never heard of, I'll have to take a skydive without a parachute---I've got my address out there to 1000's of people/sites/businesses, etc.
                      Yep, I started with AppleLink-Personal Edition which was renamed AOL when Apple pulled out in October 1989. Have been with AOL ever since. I have the cheapest paid version as I've had to periodically fall back to a dial up connection when my ISP goes down. IIRC, I got AL-PE software for free when I bought a High Speed modem: 2400 baud (bps)!
                      Dennis B. Swaney
                      Prescott, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post

Actually it is the free Windows DESKTOP AOL that is being discontinued, as far as I can tell from the various posts online. The webmail and mobile app versions are staying, but Windows users will now have to pay a monthly rate again for DESKTOP software.
                        Dennis B. Swaney
                        Prescott, AZ

Comment

Bob, are you sure about timing? Apart from requests to acknowledge their GDPR T's&C's, I've heard nothing from them. Same with Yahoo. Both now owned by Oath [Verizon].

Comment

Originally posted by romad View Post
                            Apple made a change that tells Mail to no longer recognize emails from/to AOL.com as a valid address. I discovered this when I found out that emails I sent to an AOL addressee using my Dot Mac address were not being delivered and emails I sent to me.com or mac.com from my AOL address were also not being delivered. Investigation revealed the Mail servers are marking them as "invalid" or "spam".
                            That might be a consequence of Apple deprecating or decommissioning Mac.com and me.com. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201771

When support is gone, mail to/from those addresses will legitimately be spam to AOL. For now, my family still uses 5 AOL accounts (except my daughter, who says it's up-hip) via Mail.app every day.

On that: AOL mail has occasional operational issues where it rejects valid user credentials. Mail.app alerts with a password request, but I found it best just to wait until it fixes itself, rather than having it turn into the almost inevitable password reset go-round on every device. I access AOL on the web ONLY to change passwords.

BTW, I have you beat: 29.92 years with AOL (this includes the AL-PE time) and am probably the LAST Charter Member of AOL still with them. When you have had an email address as long as you and I have, it is impossible to just drop it unless there is a forwarding period.
                            Agreed! I keep it for the occasional genealogy contact or from a long-ago post. And to tweak my daughter's nose — I tell her it's my 'retro' look. :>)

But avoiding the website and using Mail.app, it works as well as any other, and probably gives away less info than using a Google product.
                            Last edited by Paul Reitz; 12 December 2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

That might be a consequence of Apple deprecating or decommissioning Mac.com and me.com. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201771
                              That link just tells you which email addresses you can use to sign in to your iCloud account depending on when you first created an account. I'm in the group with three valid email addresses, but I never used the me.com nor the icloud.com ones. I've stayed with mac.com

Agreed. [What was AL-PE? I started with a paid account for dial-up access to their phones, using an AOL app.]
                              Apple Link - Personal Edition. In 1988 Apple contracted with Quantum Computer Services (QCS) to create a consumer version of Apple's in-house AppleLink system used for vendors and developers. It went live in August 1988.

At AppleFest 1988 in San Francisco, I bought a high-speed modem and got the AL-PE software for free. The modem ran at a blazing 2400 baud! In October of 1989, Apple pulled out of the agreement so QCS renamed the service "America OnLine" and quickly rewrote their similar service for PCs to work on the until then Apple II & Mac service. Trivia: Apple later regretted their departure and tried to replicate the service with "eWorld".
                              Dennis B. Swaney
                              Prescott, AZ

Comment

Yep, I started with AppleLink-Personal Edition which was renamed AOL when Apple pulled out in October 1989. Have been with AOL ever since. I have the cheapest paid version as I've had to periodically fall back to a dial up connection when my ISP goes down. IIRC, I got AL-PE software for free when I bought a High Speed modem: 2400 baud (bps)!
                                When my ISP goes down, so does dial-up!

- Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X