Leap years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leap years

I'm having trouble with 29 Feb 1700 - which is the date I've been given. Is there no way to persuade R12 to accept it? Or how should it be entered?
    Jamie.

Re: Leap years

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
    I'm having trouble with 29 Feb 1700 - which is the date I've been given. Is there no way to persuade R12 to accept it? Or how should it be entered?
    Jamie.
    I'd suggest that the Leister folks investigate this as a bug. In the Julian calendar, which was in effect in England until 1752, 1700 was a leap year, so the date is valid.

In the meantime, leave it as a custom date, and use 28 Feb or 1 Mar as the sort date.

We had a thread about dates more than 10 years ago, with requests for additional date formats, date ranges, and calendars other than the UK version of Julian/Gregorian, and I see in the manual that ISO-style dates, 1776-07-04, are now available (and may have been for several releases; I apparently didn't check.)

I think the old thread can be seen at http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=50
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Ketcham View Post
      ...In the meantime, leave it as a custom date...
      It won't accept a custom date which contains 29/2/1700 or 29 Feb 1700.

Comment

There was no 29th of February in 1700 - it was not a leap year. That's why Reunion won't accept that date.

I'd recommend inputting it as either 28 Feb or 1 March. Or double-checking your source to make sure thats the correct date.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

It wasn’t a Gregorian leap year, but as Steve said, it was a leap year under the Julian calendar in effect in Great Britain and the colonies until 1752. It might be a good wish list item to be able to specify the calendar in use. Conveniently for me, it’s not an issue for my family at this time. A Julian to Gregorian conversion might also be useful for some people.

As an example, 29 Feb 1700 in England would probably be March 11 (or 12?) 1701 in Spain and France.
          Last edited by ttl; 15 January 2018, 10:49 AM.
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
            It wasn’t a Gregorian leap year, but as Steve said, it was a leap year under the Julian calendar in effect in Great Britain and the colonies until 1752..
            You're right, of course - I should probably read others replies more carefully before posting
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
              It won't accept a custom date which contains 29/2/1700 or 29 Feb 1700.
              Reunion will accept either of these entries as a "custom date." However, it will ask you for a "sort date."

So, if I wanted to enter "29 Feb 1700" then I'd use 28 Feb 1700 as the "sort date."

In your reports and such, 29 Feb 1700 would appear.

When sorting is required, then the entry would be sorted as if it was 28 Feb 1700.
              Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                It wasn’t a Gregorian leap year, but as Steve said, it was a leap year under the Julian calendar in effect in Great Britain and the colonies until 1752. It might be a good wish list item to be able to specify the calendar in use. Conveniently for me, it’s not an issue for my family at this time. A Julian to Gregorian conversion might also be useful for some people.

As an example, 29 Feb 1700 in England would probably be March 11 (or 12?) 1701 in Spain and France.
                In the the Kingdom of England (includes Wales), the English colonies, and the Kingdom of Scotland (the Kingdom of Great Britain wasn't formed until 1707) the New Year started on March 25th of the Julian calendar. So 29 Feb 1700 Julian = 11 Mar 1701 Gregorian

Here is an online converter: https://calendarhome.com/calculate/convert-a-date/
                Dennis B. Swaney
                Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Comment

Working...
                X