Importing from Ancestry.Com into Reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing from Ancestry.Com into Reunion

My spouse has done a lot of research in ancestry, but not necessarily put it all into Reunion, which we prefer for usability. If I export a GEDCOM file from ancestry.com, should I put it into a separate file and then merge person by person into my 'main' family file, or try merging the two at once? Or is there a way to merge the ancestry.com GEDCOM directly -- it seems that would be risky.

Are there any pitfalls (notes? sources? citations?) I should be aware of? If it's going to smash my lovely Reunion file I would be happier to handjam it in - probably only about 100 citations on existing people and about 200 new people.
    P. S. Browne
    researching Browne Haynos, Passalacqua, McCaskie, Gallacher, Dona, Crespin, McDonald and O'Sullivan lines in the US, Poland, Italy, UK and Australia

Re: Importing from Ancestry.Com into Reunion

Originally posted by Knarressprings View Post
    My spouse has done a lot of research in ancestry, but not necessarily put it all into Reunion, which we prefer for usability. If I export a GEDCOM file from ancestry.com, should I put it into a separate file and then merge person by person into my 'main' family file, or try merging the two at once? Or is there a way to merge the ancestry.com GEDCOM directly -- it seems that would be risky.

Are there any pitfalls (notes? sources? citations?) I should be aware of? If it's going to smash my lovely Reunion file I would be happier to handjam it in - probably only about 100 citations on existing people and about 200 new people.
    Well, I'd suggest making a backup copy of your existing Reunion file and using it for the purpose you mention here and/or any other procedure that you feel might risk damaging your primary Reunion file. Stay with the backup file until everything works perfectly.

Personally, I guard my main Reunion family file as if it were my most precious possession and irreplaceable--which it is!
    John McGee Leggett, Jr.
    Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
    Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Re: Importing from Ancestry.Com into Reunion

Originally posted by Knarressprings View Post

After years of experience, I recommend the following: NEVER import a GEDCOM into your main file! Why? Because it WILL destroy the integrity of your precious (lifetime) work! Always import data of this type into a separate Reunion data file and massage THAT file to fit your workflow. Once that file meets your standards, then it is time to merge the two files.

The process of merging Reunion files is a two-step process. Step one is to match and merge any overlapping sources, and secondly to merge the known connections. BTW, creating and using a “Merge” flag allows you to keep track of those individuals that are new to your master file, and thus making it easier to find the needed individuals to match and merge. Once merged, you will need to interrogate those individuals for duplicate data and massage their details to make their records accurate.

To enter new data into your master file via a GEDCOM in any other fashion is to spell death to its veracity.
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
      X