Reunion 12 in dropbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion 12 in dropbox

Dropbox is showing in both iPad and MacBook Pro. On MacBook I moved reunion 12 to Dropbox. Now from my MacBook I can click on Dropbox and see Reunion 12 there with a green check next to it and that usually means that the entire file is uploaded. In fact, I can open reunion 12 from Dropbox and it opens to my family automatically. But when I go to my iPad Pro and click to upload family file from drop box, then get the list of files in the Dropbox, I can see Reunion 12 right there, but it is grayed. I click on it and nothing happens. Also, it does not look like a folder. It looks like a document—a paper with the top edge dog-eared down. Don’t know what that means. I’ve read the posts about this and nobody else has the problem that I can see. In one post you sent a link to a help article from Leicester, so I read that and followed the steps, but when I get to the download part, the file won’t download.

Re: Reunion 12 in dropbox

Reunion belongs on your Mac hard drive. The family file belongs in the Dropbox folder.
    Reunion Touch needs to download the family file.
    All you'll need to open Reunion is the family file on either.
    FWIW, I keep my family file(s) alias in the dock on my Mac.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by rshalf View Post
      But when I go to my iPad Pro and click to upload family file from drop box, then get the list of files in the Dropbox, I can see Reunion 12 right there, but it is grayed.
      It sounds like you've uploaded the Reunion 12 application to your Dropbox, not your Reunion 12 family file. Please verify that your Reunion 12 family file is in Dropbox -- to do that:

1. Open your family file on the Mac as you normally would.

2. From the menu at the top, choose File > Get Info.

3. Look for "File Location" about 2/3 of the way down the list.

4. The location will show something like: /Users/YourName/Dropbox/My Family File.familyfile12

If you do not see the word "Dropbox" somewhere in that location, then the family file you've opened is not in Dropbox. If that's the case, follow the directions on this web page to move your family file into Dropbox and download it to ReunionTouch.

Note that you should also move the Reunion 12 application back into your Applications folder - it should not be in Dropbox.

HTH
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

As I told you, I tried to upload both my application file and the family file onto dropbox and on my mac I click on them and go to "get info" and they are still on my mac, not in dropbox. Then I go to dropbox and they are also there! Then I close all and go to reunion touch on my mac and try to follow the instructions and connect via touch to dropbox. And sure enough, they are in dropobox, but they are greyed. And when I click on either of them, nothing happens. And also, on my mac under applications, should my family file be a different item or should it be listed separately. There is no file for either. There are just two documents on my mac. So I would love to delete my reunion app itself from dropbox, but now I am nervous about doing that because I don't want to lose everything.
        Last edited by Mark; 30 April 2018, 11:10 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote.

Comment

And also, I do wait until dropbox shows a little green arrow.
          Last edited by Mark; 30 April 2018, 11:10 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote.

Comment

As I told you, I tried to upload both my application file and the family file onto dropbox and on my mac I click on them and go to "get info" and they are still on my mac, not in dropbox. Then I go to dropbox and they are also there! Then I close all and go to reunion touch on my mac and try to follow the instructions and connect via touch to dropbox. And sure enough, they are in dropobox, but they are greyed. And when I click on either of them, nothing happens. And also, on my mac under applications, should my family file be a different item or should it be listed separately. There is no file for either. There are just two documents on my mac. So I would love to delete my reunion app itself from dropbox, but now I am nervous about doing that because I don't want to lose everything.
            An application file will run anywhere you put it on a Mac, but it is more convenient to keep them all in the Applications folder. All your Reunion.app file is doing on Dropbox is needlessly using up your Dropbox allowance. Drag it into the Applications file. Nothing will break.

Once it is there I suggest you open your Family File, which should still be in Dropbox, and go to File/Sharing Status. Reset Sharing and then try again from ReunionTouch.

If this doesn't fix it, you will have to find someone more skilled than I…

BTW, files in your Dropbox folder on your Mac are genuinely on your Mac. The ones on the Dropbox sites are also genuine; they are kept in sync by Dropbox across all the machines on which you use it - that is what it does.
            Last edited by John Hill; 02 May 2018, 05:02 AM. Reason: Bad syntax

Comment

And sure enough, they are in dropobox, but they are greyed.
              If you go into the Dropbox folder on your Mac (via Finder, not the Dropbox website), do the filenames for the family files end in ".zip"? Or do the icons for the files have a black arrow at bottom-left?

Probably the easiest way to access the Dropbox folder in Finder is to click the Dropbox icon at top-right of your computer screen, then click the Folder icon to the right of "Recent Files" in the menu that drops-down.

Thanks,
              Mark Harrison
              Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
              X