ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Reunion 12

Old 28 December 2018, 12:28 AM

Default Changed surnames with immigration

I have a large Swedish branch in my tree. Which their naming system is hard enough to follow. How would some of you recommend I handle the name change during their immigration? In Sweden for example one surname is Svensson, which was changed to Swanson once immigrated to the US. Would you recommend using Swanson as the "official" name in Reunion. Would you then put the Svensson surname in the Alias field? Or would you put Jonas (Svensson) Swanson all in the "official" line? I can talk myself into both methods depending on the day.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 28 December 2018, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Changed surnames with immigration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell75 View Post
I have a large Swedish branch in my tree. Which their naming system is hard enough to follow. How would some of you recommend I handle the name change during their immigration? In Sweden for example one surname is Svensson, which was changed to Swanson once immigrated to the US. Would you recommend using Swanson as the "official" name in Reunion. Would you then put the Svensson surname in the Alias field? Or would you put Jonas (Svensson) Swanson all in the "official" line? I can talk myself into both methods depending on the day.

Thanks!
I personally would always like to see both name versions together -- either with parenthesis or slash.
Old 28 December 2018, 03:07 AM

I personally would always like to see all versions of a name together, i.e. with parenthesis or slash. It gives me information.
Old 28 December 2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
In my family, whenever someone's surname at birth is different than the name they go by, I put both surnames in the "Last Name" field, with the birth name in square brackets followed by the later name, e.g. [Riznikove] Reese. This allows the person to be found by a "find" on either name. If I can document a name change upon immigration, or a legal name change, I attach that as a source. If not, I will make a note explaining why the change was made.
Old 28 December 2018, 10:04 AM

NEVER ... NEVER use a slash in 'name field'. This gives undoubtedly problems when you import a gedcom file with slash in a name.
Old 10 January 2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I have a large Swedish branch in my tree. Which their naming system is hard enough to follow. How would some of you recommend I handle the name change during their immigration?
My personal preference is to use the standard name fields for their Swedish name, as found in the birth record, and then use the "Alias/AKA" Fact field to enter the name they used in America. It's true that this approach will result in the Americanized name not appearing in any report indexes, but it will be searchable in the database and in any PDF or HTML reports that include the "Alias/AKA" Fact. It may depend on how you have previously treated other types of name changes that have occurred for people whose name varied over their lifespan even for non-immigrants. Do you want your charts and reports to reflect people's birth names or the name they were last known by? Including multiple names in the standard name fields will place those names in indexed reports but, as pointed out by "fjvanbodegom," you must never use the slash as a separator character.
Old 11 January 2019, 08:26 PM

So is there no official Event and (set of) fields to track a possible series of name changes of a person?

Eg, a field for the birth surname, and then an Event to track when a new surname was taken, and possibly if it happened multiple times.

Are we really completely on our own to squeeze such additional surnames in brackets beside each other in the same field?

ReunionTalk > Using Reunion 12 > Changed surnames with immigration