Multiple sources for same field/event/fact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple sources for same field/event/fact

I am using Reunion 10. I have several instances where I’ve received information from different sources for the same field, such as birth date. For example, I receive birth information from a particular source (e. g. birth certificate) then I receive birth information from another source with a different birth date. How do I source both pieces of information in Reunion, since I’m not sure which is correct?

Also, how would I source both birth dates and possibly different locations?

Re: Multiple sources for same field/event/fact

Originally posted by brcox1 View Post
    I am using Reunion 10. I have several instances where I’ve received information from different sources for the same field, such as birth date. For example, I receive birth information from a particular source (e. g. birth certificate) then I receive birth information from another source with a different birth date. How do I source both pieces of information in Reunion, since I’m not sure which is correct?

Also, how would I source both birth dates and possibly different locations?
    You can create duplicate events - e.g. the Birth Event and put each date into one of them, and then give each one a different source

or

you can use the Memo field in the Event to indicate that a different source gave a different value - this way you only have 1 birth event but it should be clear what came from where

or

you can put a note about the different values in the Source Detail field for each different source you use on a single event.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Thank you for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
        ... you can put a note about the different values in the Source Detail field for each different source you use on a single event.

Roger
        The list of sources and associated data that result makes differences apparent, and eliminates the need to scour your file to figure out where the info came from. It can be done very quickly with a procedure like the one below, using only common macOS and Reunion keyboard shortcuts.

-Paul

====================================

This description is based on Reunion 11, but I suspect R10 is similar, maybe even the same. I do this when there's a lot of similar types of data to enter. It keeps hands mostly on the keyboard, and needs few keystrokes. It works best for sources already assigned and known by heart, but even for new sources, if they'll be used repeatedly.

-- First, select the General Preferences -> Data entry -> 'select detail field after..." radio button.

Open the Edit Person window and type the Cmd-# shortcut that opens the tab where the data should go, e.g, Cmd-2 for Events, etc. Get the data to be entered into the clipboard.

In the window that opens, click anywhere [doesn't matter where] in the line where the data belongs (i.e., birth vs. death) to associate the source citation and detail with the data. Then, Cmd-shift-N, enter the source number, and hit Return. Alternatively, if the same source was just used, use Cmd-R instead.

A new source citation line appears at the bottom of the window, with the insertion point in the Detail field, waiting for input.

Cmd-V pastes the data on the clipboard into the detail field. Then TAB until the insertion point is in the correct category (twice, for example, to get to 'birth date'), and paste again. The same data is in the main display field and in the citation detail for that source. "Mechanical memory" will develop doing this repeatedly, but if errors start appearing, slow down.

The question about having differing data from multiple sources is handled by repeating the procedure for each source with different info, entering its data as the citation detail. Do the TAB-paste only for the datum you want to show in the display field.

I rarely find it necessary, but to differentiate sources for parameters that share the same source citation (ex: Birth Date / Birth Place / Memo), I recommend entering only one of those data types per source citation. It means multiple source citations, sometimes with the same source number, but no matter - it pretty well eliminates cut and paste, and the information is presented without ambiguity when the tab at the top is opened.
        -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
        MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
        MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Working...
        X