Maiden names in sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden names in sources

I'm a firm believer in recording a woman's maiden name where ever possible. But what is the correct way to cite a source, where its recorded with the married name? Do you record it exactly as is or somewhere add a reference to her maiden name?

Re: Maiden names in sources

I am a firm believer in recording all information I find.

I'm not sure what the question is.

When you enter anyone, you use the source. (even, "My mother told me so")

If you discovered her maiden name from the marriage certificate, you use that as a source, and, when you find her birth certificate you add that as a second source, the same as with the male.
    Mary Arthur

Comment

I know the maiden name from birth records and such. (ie Mary Brown) But when I come across a Passenger List for example - the name recorded is her married name (Mary Parker) So my question is - in the source record* for the Passenger list, if I should record her name as Mary Parker as recorded or Mary Brown so it can be easily associated with the person whom I have entered as Mary Brown.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Comment

Originally posted by eventide View Post
        I know the maiden name from birth records and such. (i.e., Mary Brown) But when I come across a Passenger List for example - the name recorded is her married name (Mary Parker) So my question is - in the source record* for the Passenger list, if I should record her name as Mary Parker as recorded or Mary Brown so it can be easily associated with the person whom I have entered as Mary Brown.

Since you have evidence for both names –– one as her maiden name, and one as her married name –– you can record Mary with her birth family using her maiden name, properly sourced and cited via her Birth Certificate, and then attach the passenger list entry to her maiden name citation (source) list with a note in the citation memo field thusly: “Listed as Mary Parker.” This puts the memo text in-line with the citation number in all Reports at the appropriate places.

Example:
        Mary Brown [1], [2, Listed as Mary Parker], [3], born on …

1. Birth Certificate
        2. USS Edam Passenger List
        3. Marriage Certificate
        Arnold
        -----
        RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by eventide View Post
          I know the maiden name from birth records and such. (ie Mary Brown) But when I come across a Passenger List for example - the name recorded is her married name (Mary Parker) So my question is - in the source record* for the Passenger list, if I should record her name as Mary Parker as recorded or Mary Brown so it can be easily associated with the person whom I have entered as Mary Brown.

As for the source itself, yes, you should record her name as it is recorded on the passenger list.
          Arnold
          -----
          RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Thanks Arnold!

Comment

Working...
            X