Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

associate Date + Fact, or Date without Place, for export to TNG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

associate Date + Fact, or Date without Place, for export to TNG?

All--I would like to alter how I present military service to include the dates of service with the war or army/unit served (Union or Confederate, eg.). The problem is that I don't want to necessarily attach this to a place.

I can't quite see how to do this. I would like to have start and end dates (even if they are in the same field), but if I create this as an event, the memo field is the only place to do this; and if I record this as a fact, there is no dedicated date field/s. I currently use notes and flags to describe service, but there aren't date fields for either, and in either case location isn't the point.

The reason is that I use Reunion to export my database to TNG, and when it appears there, the dates can appear with an Event tag but the Memo field doesn't seem to appear in TNG. If I use "fact," there is no way I can see to add in a date field.

Flags don't work well for this, since dates can't be attached to these, and all I get in TNG is "Y," which is kind of repetitive and uninformative.

Can anyone help with this? One solution would be to make sure that the Event "memo" field is exported to TNG to be associated with the date, but I can't seem to find out how to do this, either. I ask on this forum because I enter no data in TNG; everything there is manipulated in Reunion first.

Here's a like to an example: military service here is entered as an event, but the Memo field saying "Union soldier" etc. is not included: https://ancestors.pitard.net/getpers...3&tree=1sttree

—thanks for any help
    Derrick
    pitard.net

Re: associate Date + Fact, or Date without Place, for export to TNG?

Originally posted by Derrick View Post
    One solution would be to make sure that the Event "memo" field is exported to TNG to be associated with the date, but I can't seem to find out how to do this, either.
    Well I did learn one thing about Reunion I must have forgotten, which is to click the "include event memos" field on the page of GEDCOM export options. That seems to help at least part of this.
    Derrick
    pitard.net

Comment

Working...
    X