"Select a Family File" upon opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Select a Family File" upon opening

Although I have checked the Startup preference "Open the most recent family file", I am sometimes asked to select a Family File upon opening Reunion. My Family File is located in the "Reunion Files" folder in my Dropbox, and it is clearly shown at the top of the window that opens when asking to "Select a Family File". Is this the wrong location for it? Why does "Reunion" ask sometimes, but not others?
    Steve Thomas
    iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Re: "Select a Family File" upon opening

The preferred method is to have your family file(s) in the Dropbox folder, but drag (creating an alias) them to the right of the line in your dock. Only the family files need to be in the dropbox folder. All others belong in the Reunion folder in Applications (even though Reunion places reports elsewhere) Just my opinion.
    Reunion will open which ever family file you double click from there.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

It may be how you closed it the last time it was used. If I close it by going to the menu under Reunion in the upper left and sliding down to Quit Reunion it will open up by going to the same file as before. If I close it some other way it will ask me to choose the file. I don't use Dropbox so don't keep the file there. It's in the Documents folder.
      Sara Bradley Mason
      kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

Sara is on the right track.

Reunion can automatically open your family file when you click on the Reunion icon and the application isn't already running ("on startup").

However, if you "close" it by clicking the red Close button at top-left of the window that doesn't actually close the application, it just closes the family file (this is standard macOS behavior). As a result, the next time you click on the Reunion icon it asks what file you want to open - because the application is already running.

If you want to have your family file open automatically whenever you click the Reunion icon, you should be sure to completely quit the application (don't just close the family file) via:

Reunion -> Quit Reunion

Or by pressing Command+Q on your keyboard.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I understand now. You're right, I sometimes close the file/window by clicking the red X only.
          Steve Thomas
          iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Another option: Just hide Reunion with a Command-H.

Since I run my Mac 24/7/365 and I spend lots of time in Reunion, that's what I do. Yep, Reunion also runs 24/7/365. This is not for everyone, of course.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

This might work for you. I don't use Dropbox, so I'm not sure.
              I created an alias for my main family file, then added the alias to my dock. I just click on the alias in the dock to open my family file.
              Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Working...
              X