Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can’t I use two devices running the desktop app on the same network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can’t I use two devices running the desktop app on the same network?

My wife and I sometimes need to work on the same family file at the same time. Her on a laptop and me on a desktop machine. Leister Sales say it’s not possible even if I purchase a second registration number even if both are using Dropbox the same way an IOS device and a laptop.
    Any suggestions?

Essentially, the Reunion application is a database. Nearly all database software is coded/programmed to prevent more than one user to edit the same record concurrently. There are several dozen good reasons for this, so I won't try to list any. Generally, speaking it is to protect the validity of the data and prevent confusion between users.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

What Bob said is accurate.

I'll try to explain it in a different way: Reunion on the Mac is a "host" - essentially the owner of the master data. ReunionTouch (on the iPad and iPhone) is a "client" - which modifies the master data through the host.

Running two copies of Reunion on the same family file would be a situation where multiple hosts are taking control of the same set of master data. This would be a really bad situation and Reunion goes to great lengths to prevent it from happening.

I hope that explains it.
      Gregg Witmer
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Gregg, can you have more than 1 Reunion Touch client communicate with the host database at the same time? Thinking of when my cousin and I photograph a cemetery using our iPads, could we both be linked back to the host, each taking photos and updating the person. We would not be updating the same record as we have a system whereby we divide and conquer - LOL

Thanks

Comment

...can you have more than 1 Reunion Touch client communicate with the host database at the same time?
          Yes, you can have multiple ReunionTouch apps (clients) modifying the same family file at the same time.
          Gregg Witmer

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Yes, you can have multiple ReunionTouch apps (clients) modifying the same family file at the same time.
            Gregg: Tiny bit of clarification, please.... Am I correct in assuming the two clients cannot work the same specific record at the same time?

Comment

Am I correct in assuming the two clients cannot work the same specific record at the same time?
              The same person record can be modified by multiple clients and/or the host at the same time. Where it will get tricky is if the same field for the same person gets modified simultaneously. In that case, the time of the modification will come into play and the most recent change to that field will be saved in the host.

Therefore, one client could be modifying the birth date and another the birth place of the same person but if both try to change the birth place at the same time only one change will be see on the host.

I hope that answers your question.
              Gregg Witmer

Comment

It does and, more importantly, all of us learned something here. Thank you.

Comment

In my case, I am the only one who uses Reunion, however, sometimes I do get tired using my laptop (as the screen is very small) and my Mini Mac has a larger Screen so I move there. I just need to have my programm in both my Macs that's all. Can I download Reunion 13 in both computers please.

Comment

To quote Reunion FAQs: Yes - you may install Reunion on any Mac that you own, as permitted by the License Agreement (see "Copyright, Warranty, & Credits" in the Manual for full details).

Go to https://www.leisterpro.com/doc/v-13/...ltiplemacs.php for the full explanation.

Comment

Working...
                    X