Tip: Manually enter “Where From” text into screenshot Metadata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip: Manually enter “Where From” text into screenshot Metadata

If you're capable of forgetting where your screenshots originated, as I am, this might be a useful tool for you: a kind internet stanger taught me how to resolve this problem with two automatic pop-ups, brought to front, which launch immediately after the screenshot is taken. The first of these is a prompt to paste a URL of the page the screenshots came from (this can be automated but I prefer to do it manually). What you enter here becomes the "Where From" field in the screenshot file metadata. The second window is simply the Info Sheet for the screenshot file, which allows you to paste a citation or note in the Comments box. (Info Sheet, is what you see when you right-click a file and choose "Get Info" -- also same as Command+I keyboard shortcut form Finder). Super useful for newspaper clips and so on. Link on how to set this up is here under the answer with the green checkmark. Essentially, what this is, is a forced reminder -- as I constantly forget where screenshots came from. Example of what this looks like here.

Alternately, a simpler setup that uses this same idea is here, which only auto-launches the screenshot's Info Sheet (for you to enter something in Comments box). I wanted comments and URL separate, in the metadata, for a variety of reasons to include my migration to DEVONthink. Cheers!
    noyesancestors@gmail.com
Working...
X