Seeking examples of how you use Color Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking examples of how you use Color Tags

image_1583.jpg​I'm giving a presentation on Color Tags on Aug. 25 to the Reunion Special Interest Group of the Silicon Valley Computer Genealogy Group. I've searched this Forum for examples of how people use them but haven't found much beyond the uses already offered as defaults in the Who drop-down of the "Edit Color Tag" box (which should actually be called the "Create or Edit Color Tag" box, but I digress.)

One example found was using Color Tags to mark DNA matches. If you have used Color Tags for anything else (again, beyond just the choices available in the Who drop-down, see attached), I'd love to know what you've done.

I used Color Tags to identify ancestry lines of living people in my Reunion database who are DNA matches to me on one particular family line, but we don't know how we are connected at the top (Irish line, records don't go back far enough). This will be a case study I use in the presentation. The tags make it easy to see which ancestors are the Common Ancestors (see attached, the one with many tags) and have also sped up creating Charts of descendants.

Thanks in advance for any examples you share.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Susan Freas Rogers; 15 August 2021, 11:36 PM.

Forgot to say, if anyone uses color tags to identify people modified in the last 30 days, two weeks, one week or today (one of the default choices in the Who drop-down), please explain why you want to know who these people are. I'm having a hard time figuring out why this is useful information that you want to retrieve easily. I'm sure there's a good reason that I'm missing.

Comment

I have an individual born around the end of the15th century. Provided it can be accepted there is DNA evidence that both I and my late wife link back to him, but I have no idea how.

I use a colour tag to show his decendants currently running at just over 45000 whilst using relationships for myself

Comment

Susan - an interesting subject. I thought colour tags would be a useful tool before I upgraded from R11 to R13, but as yet I have not used them. I would love to know how people use them and I am wondering if your presentation will be on-line?
        James L. Milne
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Knight View Post
          I have an individual born around the end of the15th century. Provided it can be accepted there is DNA evidence that both I and my late wife link back to him, but I have no idea how.
          Tony, that is WAY too far back for any autosomal DNA to make its way down to either you or your late wife. Any DNA expert will tell you that. You can reasonably expect to receive verifiable autosomal DNA from 4 to 6 generations back, and I have found the VERY occasional single segment that has made its way down from maybe 8 or 9 generations back from me. But "end of the 15th century" -- no way. Only if that ancestor was a male named KNIGHT, and it was a direct-line (men only) line from you to that 15th century ancestor, could you get verification through a Y-DNA test (which only men take, of course, since only men have the Y chromosome).

Best regards,
          Susan

Comment

Yes, Susan, that is my thinking. My late wife's surname is uncommon and it is an individual with a variant of that who sits at the top of the island in which he sits. The Reunion interfamily marriage search shows some 2500 interfamily marriages and growing. The matches Ancestry puts forward grows at the rate of around 25 a week or more for both me and my daughter, many of which are Americans with long apparent pedigrees.

Comment

Working...
            X