Merging family files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging family files

I want to merge 2 reunion files (lets call them file A & file B) but when I attempted to do so, some of the source citations went completely haywire. What I did was this:
    I exported a subset of file B, with cited sources and media links, to a new Reunion file (file B export). After making a backup copy of file A, I imported file B export into file A. At first glance, all looked fine but then I noticed something horrible had happened with some of the source citations.
    For example, I have several people in both files who were born, married and died in Warwickshire, England. When I checked, I found that many of the citations to Warwickshire births and marriages had been replaced with citations to Warwickshire burials. I checked my copy of file A and file B and everything was correct so this happened during the import process. I tried doing the import the other way round, that is importing file A into file B but the same thing happened. This has occurred with several sources. I understand that Reunion will attempt to merge sources on import if the first 75 characters of the title of the sources match, but the sources that behave in this way only partially match and certainly not by 75 characters. I'm stumped - has anyone any idea of what I may have done wrong? I read the manual again and as far as I can see, I followed the instructions to the letter.
    All suggestions gratefully received
    Jane

Hi Jane
    I have only just joined the forums because I wanted to post a question. However, your question is pretty much the one I was going to ask even as far as using File A and File B in my question. It sounds like the merge can be problematic, so I am nervous now.

I note there were no responses to your query. Have you persevered with your experiments?

Regards
    Brendan

Comment

Hi Brendan
      No, I haven't persevered but put things to one side as I decided that merging my files might not be such a great idea. I still think that the files may have become corrupted, though, as they shouldn't behave in this way. I should really contact Reunion directly and see if they can find anything wrong. Not a good idea to work with suspect files. My bad!
      Jane

Comment

Working...
      X