This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Everyone linked to...”

William Hobson married Elizabeth ???. They had six children.

William then married Ellen Cutts. They had no children.

Ellen had already had two illegitimate children, Arthur and Sabrina. Sabrina married Charles Simmonite, one of my Simmonite clan.

If I show the page for William and Elizabeth in Reunion 9, select Change/Mark Groups and ask for

Re:

Part of the conundrum I think has to do with how Leister Productions has defined the action.

From the manual:

"Everyone linked to a person - This feature makes it easy to split a family file by marking everybody linked to a person (that includes relatives, spouses of relatives, children and ancestors of spouses of relatives, etc.) but it does not mark people linked to his spouse. (It does mark his spouse.)"

I think when you mark everyone related to the couple (William and Elizabeth), since there is no demarcation in the action, you get everyone linked to William from his marriage to Ellen. When you just do William in the William/Elizabeth family, you do get the demarcation and a very few people linked to William. Likewise with Elizabeth.

I bet that you would get a lot of marked people if you marked those linked to William when you have his marriage to Ellen showing. If not, then the logic escapes me, too.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      I bet that you would get a lot of marked people if you marked those linked to William when you have his marriage to Ellen showing. If not, then the logic escapes me, too.
      Upon further thought, I would guess not. But everyone linked to Ellen would be most of the people in your file if the logic descibed above holds.
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by ttl View Post
        Upon further thought, I would guess not. But everyone linked to Ellen would be most of the people in your file if the logic described above holds.
        I selected the family page with William and Ellen, and tried for everyone linked to William. I got the same nine as when the William and Elizabeth page is showing.

I then tried for everyone connected to Ellen, and got everyone in the Family file EXCEPT Elizabeth and her children.

Since I have cleared off a few waifs and strays since my first posting, the searches for everyone connected to William & Elizabeth and everyone connected to William & Ellen both find everyone in the Family File.

So I think that your analysis is sound. Evidently "Everyone connected to" means just that for a search for a couple but is interpreted very differently for a search for an individual. But I cannot think offhand of a way of getting this across in a way I would understand.

Perhaps I should have been more careful to RTFM. But that section of the manual starts "The Mark Groups section of the Mark panel is fairly sophisticated. So take a deep breath."

They can say that again!

Comment

Working...
        X