PDA

View Full Version : using jump drives

Betty
05 March 2006, 11:26 PM
Am I correct in assuming that I can put reunion files (not gedcoms) on a jump drive and any pc with a usb port can show them? Thank you.

SGilbert
05 March 2006, 11:45 PM
UH--NO! If you mean Reunion Family Files, only Reunion, which is Mac only, can read them.

You can create descendants etc. files in Word and PC's can read them. You can create gedcoms (in Windoze format) and PC's can import them.

DBaddorf
06 March 2006, 06:33 PM
You can also tell Reunion to create Web Files onto the jump drive. Any pc with a usb port and a browser will be able to read those nicely.

Steve W. Jackson
06 March 2006, 07:18 PM
Lest we forget, however, PCs aren't quite as "natively" smart as our Macs. They may not be able to read your drive at all if it's formatted for your Mac. So if you're planning on sharing information with PC users in this way, you may want to reinitialize it with a Windows format.

= Steve =

Betty
07 March 2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the info. A jump drive without a driver would be the best to use?

SGilbert
08 March 2006, 12:28 AM
Unless it's some kind of "odd-ball" jump drive, Mac OSX won't need a driver---it'll work natively. I've got a SanDisk and a Lexar (both considered lower end, I believe) and they just WORK!

Bob White
08 March 2006, 02:20 AM
Most of your Windows friends should be on XP nowadays. Like our beloved Macs, most jump drives will just work (unless, of course, they are Mac formatted).

theKiwi
08 March 2006, 07:47 AM
Only "gotcha" that I encountered when I bought my first jump drive several years ago was that it wouldn't work when plugged into the oh so handy USB port on my keyboard - I would get an error about there not being enough power available for the device. And climbing down on the floor to plug it into the back of my G4 wasn't an option!!!!!

It woreds OK on an eMac plugged directly into the computer, and it worked OK plugged into the USB ports on my Dell 20 inch monitor, both of which provide power.

So I returned that to Office Max and bought a Kensington thumb drive which apparently draws less power and works just fine plugged into the keyboard.

If you want to move files between Windows and Mac computers you need to have the drive formatted (Disk Utility can do this) using the MS-DOS file system so that the files put onto it can be recognised on the other computer platform. If you then want to use that drive to move files from Mac OS X to Mac OS 9 you'll have some problems - you need to zip of stuff the files first before putting them onto the thumbdrive or else you may not be able to open them on the Mac OS 9 computer.

Roger

DelbertCurlin
09 March 2006, 10:11 AM
Lest we forget, however, PCs aren't quite as "natively" smart as our Macs. They may not be able to read your drive at all if it's formatted for your Mac. So if you're planning on sharing information with PC users in this way, you may want to reinitialize it with a Windows format.

= Steve =

Not being as savvy as most of you who write questions I need to know how do I find out if the "PNY Attache 256M" jump drive my children gave me for Christmas is formatted for either Mac or Pc?

If I get that question answered I then need to ask, How do I get these Web Cards created so I can transfer them to the jump drive? Are these just a readable version of the Family Cards? Will they include all children when a family card has more than 7?

Stephen Hill
09 March 2006, 12:05 PM
What is a jump drive?

cheers

Steve Hill

SGilbert
09 March 2006, 01:33 PM
Those small USB flash memory devices that store info. They run from about $20 to several hundred for the "biggies". They are very handy for file transfers.

theKiwi
09 March 2006, 01:47 PM
Not being as savvy as most of you who write questions I need to know how do I find out if the "PNY Attache 256M" jump drive my children gave me for Christmas is formatted for either Mac or Pc?If you haven't reformatted on your Macintosh then it is almost certainly formatted as a DOS volume.

Connect it to your Mac and then do a Get Info on it - find its icon on the Desktop, click once on it to highlight it and press Commnd i - this will tell you what it is.

If I get that question answered I then need to ask, How do I get these Web Cards created so I can transfer them to the jump drive? Are these just a readable version of the Family Cards? Will they include all children when a family card has more than 7?

Take a look in the Manual for "Web Cards" without the quotes and read what it says there. To see some samples (albeit kind of old ones) take a look at

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/Lineham/index.html

Roger

Steve Holmes
09 March 2006, 05:22 PM
Most of your Windows friends should be on XP nowadays. Like our beloved Macs, most jump drives will just work (unless, of course, they are Mac formatted).

I don't understand all this talk about formatting. All of the 'jumpdrives' (aka flash drives) work just fine on any machine I've tried, including Solaris (a version of Unix).

theKiwi
09 March 2006, 07:34 PM
I don't understand all this talk about formatting. All of the 'jumpdrives' (aka flash drives) work just fine on any machine I've tried, including Solaris (a version of Unix).

Have you tried copying an installer application from a Mac OS X Mac to a Mac OS 9 Mac using one that is DOS formatted?

When I tried it it didn't work because the DOS file format couldn't handle the resource fork of the file, and when I got to the Mac OS 9 Mac some 30 miles away the installer app wouldn't work.

For Mac OS X to Mac OS 9 transfers the jump drive needs to be formatted as a Mac drive, making it unreadable on Windows machines.

Roger

SGilbert
09 March 2006, 07:49 PM
Some (or most) can't be formatted. My Lexar won't allow me. Isn't locked either!

DelbertCurlin
09 March 2006, 08:32 PM
If you haven't reformatted on your Macintosh then it is almost certainly formatted as a DOS volume.
delete
Take a look in the Manual for "Web Cards" without the quotes and read what it says there. To see some samples (albeit kind of old ones) take a look at

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/Lineham/index.html

Roger
Thanks Roger- Yes it is PC format which I would want because none of my family or friends have Mac. I looked at your site and another one or two. It doesn not appear that reunion is creating a file like that for me but I'll play with it a while because I'm sure to be doing something wrong.
Thanks again. Delbert

theKiwi
09 March 2006, 10:21 PM
Some (or most) can't be formatted. My Lexar won't allow me. Isn't locked either!Surely if you can write to it, then you can format it? Under Mac OS X you would do this using Disk Utility - the Erase tab?

The 3 that I've had anything to do with all could be formatted.

Roger

SGilbert
09 March 2006, 10:49 PM
Just tried it again. It gives 2--only 2--options:

MS-DOS File System
MS-DOS File System (FAT16)

that's it!!

theKiwi
09 March 2006, 11:28 PM
To be fair - you said earlier Some (or most) can't be formatted. My Lexar won't allow me.which isn't the same as two choices.

In any case if you click on the actual drive icon on the left rather than the name of the volume on the drive don't you get to see a menu with 7 choices in it? Including several varieties of Mac OS Extended?

See

http://lisaandroger.com/ThumbDriveFormatting.jpg

for what happens for my Kingston Data Traveller.

If I have the name of the volume highlighted in Disk Utility then I do only see the two DOS choices since it's already a DOS volume and can't be changed without changing the formatting of the actual drive.

Roger

SGilbert
10 March 2006, 12:28 AM
AH-SO! You're right Roger. Thanks!

BTW--Why the H.. would I want/care if it is journeled?

STEVE
10 March 2006, 07:20 PM
Just tried it again. It gives 2--only 2--options:

MS-DOS File System
MS-DOS File System (FAT16)

that's it!!

You have a *BAD THING* happening. I don't know what your problem is, but you've definitely got one. I'm using 10.4.5 (but panther also did this) and a 128 Meg Lexar jump drive. Disk Utility ( the one that comes with the system gives me these options:

Mac OS Extended (case sensitive)
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (case sensitive, Journaled)
Mac OS Extended
Mac OS Standard
MS DOS File System (FAT 32)
MS DOS File System (FAT 16)
MS DOS File System (FAT 12)
MS DOS File System
Unix File System

Again, I don't know what problem you're experiencing or how to deal with it, but you difinitely have a problem. Have you contacted Lexar?

STEVE

Bob White
11 March 2006, 12:38 AM

On most of these jump drives, if you look at them when brand new, you will find a FAT folder. That is the directory storage for any volume in the Windoze world. To make a weak joke, there's no fat on Mac's. I don't remember for positive, so anyone can jump in here but, as I recall, FAT stands for File Allocation something (maybe tree). Just remembered... FAT stands for File Allocation Table.

Kate
11 March 2006, 07:25 AM
Have you tried copying an installer application from a Mac OS X Mac to a Mac OS 9 Mac using one that is DOS formatted?

When I tried it it didn't work because the DOS file format couldn't handle the resource fork of the file, and when I got to the Mac OS 9 Mac some 30 miles away the installer app wouldn't work.

For Mac OS X to Mac OS 9 transfers the jump drive needs to be formatted as a Mac drive, making it unreadable on Windows machines.

Roger

When I discovered that my original jump drive could not handle files (like Reunion files) that do not have a .something extension I bought a second one and reformatted for Mac. I was transferring from OS X to OS 9 and vice versa, so perhaps the problem does not present in OS X only. Transferring files by cable or email has never been a problem.

I'm happy with my dual jump drive arrangement because I need to talk to both platforms, but did observe that under OS X it seems that one can no longer format for PC. Presumably to reformat the Mac drive I would need access to a PC. Strange.

Kate

Tom Robinson
14 March 2006, 03:08 AM
1. People who are only seeing two options in Disk Utility should check the following:

If you select the *volume* in Disk Utility you will only see the MS-DOS and MS-DOS FAT16 options.

If you select the *disk*, you'll see seven (probably) options, including Mac, Unix, and MS-DOS.

The disk is the high level icon, the volume the child. e.g. My memory stick shows up as:

495.5 MB Sony Storage Media Media
. OMNIBUS

Where the first line is the disk, and the second the volume (the disk name).

The disk is a container for one (usual) or more (less usual) volumes.

2. As for the question on journalling: it helps prevent disk corruption if the computer crashes while writing data. The only time you might not want to enable it is when the speed of writing to the disk is critical.

3. To use a DOS volume to transfer data between OS 9 and OS X while preserving the resource fork, simply use OS 9 to create a disk image on the memory stick, and put your data in there.

Betty
11 June 2006, 10:44 PM
I understand from a PC user that it is necessary to put your files as a gedcom on the jump drive to access your information on the computers at the FHL library at SLC. Can I as a Mac user do the same if I use a jump drive that is compatable for both systems and that does not require drivers? Thank you, Betty

LarryN
12 June 2006, 09:22 PM
I understand from a PC user that it is necessary to put your files as a gedcom on the jump drive to access your information on the computers at the FHL library at SLC. Can I as a Mac user do the same if I use a jump drive that is compatable for both systems and that does not require drivers? Thank you, Betty

Not having been to the Salt Lake library for some I cannot comment on whether or not you can even connect (I say this because we rolled out new computers at out library which are software-locked down so that nothing can be saved, even though they have 2 USB ports.) The non-locked staff terminals have the same two USB slots, and I move things back and forth betwen Macs at home and at work and all the work PC's all the time. Never had to even think about "formatting" . They just work.

AE Palmer
12 June 2006, 09:23 PM

In a word, yes. All thumb drives are USB connected and require no drivers! As long as it is formatted using the PC format, the drive is compatible with Macs and PCs.

Betty
13 June 2006, 12:42 AM
In a word, yes. All thumb drives are USB connected and require no drivers! As long as it is formatted using the PC format, the drive is compatible with Macs and PCs.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping. These friends were in SLC a couple weeks ago with their flash drives full of info but they were told it had to be in a gedcom to be readable.

LarryN
13 June 2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks, that is what I was hoping. These friends were in SLC a couple weeks ago with their flash drives full of info but they were told it had to be in a gedcom to be readable.

...which confuses the issue for me. If the data was in GEDCOM format, that would make it readable BY WHATEVER SOFTWARE THEY ALLOW PATRONS TO USE there. That isn't known, and having it in a GEDCOM format enables ANY program to read it, instead of just Reunion, FTM, Legacy, or whatever.

Marilynn
13 June 2006, 08:52 PM

Betty, I was in SLC in March and used my miniCruzer to download info from the LDS computers [ancestry images, etc]. Yes, they work but their windoze machines request you to reformat your jump drive then you can proceed. Make sure you have one of the FHL volunteers who know the computers around to help you because it is a very complicated procedure before you pull the jump drive out of the USB slot. Not like a Mac. I downloaded one image from Ancestry then tried it on my iBook before I did more [I run 10.2.8 on a G3]. It worked, but then you have to reformat each time you put it in their PCs. I did not try any gedcom procedure.

Marilynn

LarryN
14 June 2006, 10:37 PM
. Yes, they work but their windoze machines request you to reformat your jump drive then you can proceed. Make sure you have one of the FHL volunteers who know the computers around to help you because it is a very complicated procedure before you pull the jump drive out of the USB slot. I downloaded one image from Ancestry then tried it on my iBook before I did more [I run 10.2.8 on a G3]. It worked, but then you have to reformat each time you put it in their PCs.Marilynn

That boggles my mind. Each and every day I move btween Macs and PCs and never have to reformat. In fact I click EJECT on the PC and that doesn't even remove it from the list of available drives unlike the Mac which removes it from the desktop (running XP at work). I would be interested to find out why one must "reformat" the drive in any case. Weird.

Urs Geiser
15 June 2006, 01:04 AM
I would be interested to find out why one must "reformat" the drive in any case. Weird.
Pure speculation: It could be part of their computer protection strategy because they don't want to infect their computers with malware. There is certainly no technical requirement. Like Larry and many others, I use a USB drive to move data back and forth between a Mac and a PC on a daily basis.

Also, I wouldn't exactly call the procedure on a PC complicated. Just click the icon on the taskbar to safely remove a removable drive and wait until it tells you that it's safe (it waits until all write operations have finished). That's actually better than on the Mac, where it is possible to remove a drive too quickly after it disappears from the desktop, leading to data corruption.