PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy Website Using iWeb

TIA
27 February 2006, 01:23 AM
I have never designed a webpage before. And I have never uploaded my Reunion genealogy database to the internet. I am going to try reconfiguring one of the website templates using Apple's new iWeb program and linking it to my Reunion database. Anyone else trying to design a genealogy website using iWeb? Any advice?

johnpritt
27 February 2006, 02:02 AM
I haven't tried it, but you might like to have a look at the discussion forum on Apple's own site for iWeb. I remember that just after iWeb had been launched there were a few similar questions (myself included) and the concensus (then) was that it was very difficult, if not impossible, to embed other code into an iWeb page.
Since then, there have been a number of people who have been looking at creating/modifying the iWeb templates (the one I saw was on OSXHints), but to be honest I didn't pay too much attention to them.
Arguably, if all you want to do is publish your family tree "as is" from Reunion, then you don't need to bother with iWeb. The Web Cards from Reunion are fine as they are and can be uploaded to (say) .Mac -- you need to create a site first in .Mac, but that's only a one minute or so job, point it towards the index webcard from Reunion, and there you go.
If you've never created a webpage before, that might be the easiest option. Then you can take your time to examine what you like, don't like, about it and consider other options.
Good luck whatever you do, and report back on what you decide.

theKiwi
27 February 2006, 08:19 AM
You could easily create a Reunion web cards project and upload it to your .Mac space (or any other site).

Then create an iWeb page and somewhere on that page provide a link to the Reunion web cards project. This link is easy to make from the "Insert" menu in iWeb.

The Reunion cards would not have the same style as the iWeb page though.

Roger

TIA
27 February 2006, 10:28 AM
Then create an iWeb page and somewhere on that page provide a link to the Reunion web cards project. This link is easy to make from the "Insert" menu in iWeb.

This is what I was going to try to do. Thanks for the advice.