PDA

View Full Version : Editing video to import into Reunion

jbkeene
23 February 2006, 03:50 PM
I have just had a VHS tape of an interview with my father put onto a DVD, hoping to edit it and import some of it into Reunion. But I'm stuck at the step before that. The DVD will play with the DVD player, so at least I can view the video. But I'd like to import it into iMovie to edit it. When I try to import it into iMovie, the file names are grayed out. There are six files in a folder called VIDEO_TS and the file names are:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB
I am a complete novice at movie editing and have no idea what type of files these are or how to import them into iMovie. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Thanks,
Jocelyn Keene

joeswann
23 February 2006, 05:30 PM
You need to get an application that will rip movies from a DVD. DVDxDV (http://www.dvdxdv.com) does good work. Just get it started and go to bed. You should have a quicktime file iMove can import when you get up in the morning.

Patrick Holcombe
23 February 2006, 06:33 PM
I just used a free program called Handbrake 0.7.1 that also worked well for me. The only issue that I ran into was to have to make sure that a QT compatible movie was ripped. I found this on Version Tracker.
Good Luck.
Patrick

jimrite
23 February 2006, 07:11 PM
This is not a direct answer to your question (which has already been answered) but if you have a digital video camera, you can bypass the DVD by plugging the camera into your VHS machine, run the VHS tape and record onto your camera. I typically keep my finger on the REC/PAUSE button and do a rough edit on the fly, then load the video from the camera directly into iMovie and edit away. Several things I have done to make the edited movies more interesting and informative: 1. adding period music at a low, non-distracting level to silent films and 2. creating a still frame of large groups and adjusting the length of the still to allow me to narrate the names of those who appear. The movie appears to pause on the large group while the narration takes place and then resumes.

WilliamTaber
23 February 2006, 10:42 PM
I use MPEG Streamclip (find it on VersionTracker) with great success. It allows export in any format provided by QuickTime. And you can easily select the "in" and "out" edit points to convert only what you need.

Potion
24 February 2006, 04:19 AM
Every DVD has at least 3 files:
VIDEO_TS.BUP (backup copy of the info file)
VIDEO_TS.IFO (InFOrmation file tells us things about the embedded format of the video)
VIDEO_TS.VOB (the Video OBject file - the actual video)

In most cases, the above files contain the main menu and video lead-in. The IFO file above may also contain pointers (a directory) to more files:

VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, etc.

I suspect that the file containing the content you are interested in is VTS_01.VOB. That said, how do you extract it. As mentioned in the posts above, there are a number of utilities that will do it for you.

I use a PC-based utility called 1Click DVD to Divx AVI (http://www.dvdtoavi.net/) to extract AVI files. I pull those into iMovie (or Final Cut Pro, if I'm feeling ambitious) for editing, then save as a "small" movie - compressed with reduced frame size, frame rate.

Adding to jimrite's reply above, I use an Analog-to-Digital converter (DataVideo DAC-100) (http://www.datavideo.us) instead of using a video-camcorder. I connect the VHS deck to the DAC-100 using standard AV cables, and then from the DAC to the Mac (or PC) using Firewire. Press PLAY and capture directly into iMovie.

Voila!

jbkeene
04 April 2006, 03:16 PM
You need to get an application that will rip movies from a DVD. DVDxDV (http://www.dvdxdv.com) does good work. Just get it started and go to bed. You should have a quicktime file iMove can import when you get up in the morning.

I want to thank Joe and everyone else who replied to my query about importing movies from DVDs into Reunion. It took me a long time to get around to it but I have just purchased DVDxDV and tried it and it works fine. Now I have my movies in the form of iMovie projects and just need to figure out how to get clips of them into Reunion. My daughter (16) says she can help me with the editing and making of clips so I'm nearly in the clear now.

By the way, I can also recommend DVDxDV for anyone who needs to import movies from DVD. It worked very easily and well - but I understand it doesn't work for commercial DVDs so don't plan on using it for making clips from Hollywood movies.
Jocelyn