PDA

View Full Version : web card update and .mac update - how?

Dinee
11 March 2005, 10:10 AM
Here's one thing I wish I could easily do, so I'm turning to the experts.

If I made a change on an item (like I find out a specific thing for a person, and I update the data base info on their card) how can I easily and quickly fix the info on the internet.

It takes F O R E V E R for my into to fully upload to my .mac acct and every time I create new Web cards, and then put it into my iDisk sites folder it can take a day and a half to get all of it online. Thus I would like to be able to fix an intem and know where it is on my iDisk sites and fix it there too then allow the fix to make it to my site.

Can this easily be done?

Rob_McAlear
11 March 2005, 11:01 AM

If I made a change on an item (like I find out a specific thing for a person, and I update the data base info on their card) how can I easily and quickly fix the info on the internet.

It takes F O R E V E R for my into to fully upload to my .mac acct and every time I create new Web cards, and then put it into my iDisk sites folder it can take a day and a half to get all of it online. Thus I would like to be able to fix an intem and know where it is on my iDisk sites and fix it there too then allow the fix to make it to my site.

Can this easily be done?

Good question, Dinee. I have the same frustration. When I edit, correct, add to my data and upload to my iDisk, it takes anywhere from 2 to 3 days to upload. And I'm on cable! As a result, I generally only update every 2 or 3 months. So my two choices are (1)learn to live with the lengthy update; or (2)discontinue editing, correcting, or adding to my genealogy!

Bill Roberts
11 March 2005, 11:35 AM
<snip> If I made a change on an item (like I find out a specific thing for a person, and I update the data base info on their card) how can I easily and quickly fix the info on the internet. <cut>

Can this easily be done?

Reunion Help gives several ideas in the topic Updating a Web Folder: (1) use a HTML editor; (2) use a utility called FolderUpdater; and (3) follow a procedure that involves creating Web reports only for people with changes.

I continue to replace my entire Web report, because it is relatively small. For minor changes I would be inclined to use a HTML editor, because I am somewhat comfortable with coding. I am not familiar with the FolderUpdater utility. I'd have to study Idea (3) more to make sure I fully understand it.

Dinee
11 March 2005, 12:11 PM
Good question, Dinee. I have the same frustration. When I edit, correct, add to my data and upload to my iDisk, it takes anywhere from 2 to 3 days to upload. And I'm on cable! ....

Gosh Rob, I'm glad I'm not alone on the long time frame issue! I've been updating my idisk with the latest info for 2 days now!

Bill, I need to know more about this matter of using an HTML editor. I used to web pages (in a simple format for our PTA website) so I wouldn't be afraid to try that, but I need to know where to go to get more info on using a HTML editor with the stuff that's produced from the Webcards and put on the web site. Does reunion have a help area for doing it that way?

Dinee
11 March 2005, 01:08 PM
With the help of DH, we just downloaded "Folder Updater" from http://homepage.mac.com/stevejackson/MacStuff.html and installed it so that we could do the iDisk updates more efficiently.

We scheduled it to see: Old folder (as the folder over on iDisk under sites) and the New Folder as the folder over in my Documents area (where Reunion Reports files the Webcards info the Reports folder).

We then ran "Folder Updater" and it detected the one item that I made a change to this morning, and allocated the update to iDisk. Since iDisk is still syncing (day 3) and the corrected file will be done too! WOOOHOOO!

I've learned something new already today - thanks ya'll!

This means that I shouldn't have to take 3 days to get things to my website fixed!

Bill Roberts
11 March 2005, 09:51 PM
<cut>
Bill, I need to know more about this matter of using an HTML editor.

I used to web pages (in a simple format for our PTA website) so I wouldn't be afraid to try that, but I need to know where to go to get more info on using a HTML editor with the stuff that's produced from the Webcards and put on the web site.

Does reunion have a help area for doing it that way?

For the time being the FolderUpdater utility appears to be doing what you want.

However, if you still want to look at the code of your Reunion Web report, your can use your browser to view the HTML code of any Web page. (On my browser, Camino 0.8.2, the command is View Page Source under the View command in the toolbar.) With the HTML code visible you can copy it and then edit it in an application such as TextEdit or BBEdit.

I haven't found anything in Reunion about editing HTML code, which is beyond the scope of the application - and thank goodness for that!

luis
15 March 2005, 06:43 PM

Can this easily be done?

I have 1889 Web family cards, when I need to edit or to update any of them, I use "Macromedia Contribute3", before I got Contribute 3 I had to download all my site then edit it and then upload it again, that took me "for ever", with Contribute3 I do that in a jiffy.

Rob_McAlear
15 March 2005, 08:36 PM
I have 1889 Web family cards, when I need to edit or to update any of them, I use "Macromedia Contribute3", before I got Contribute 3 I had to download all my site then edit it and then upload it again, that took me "for ever", with Contribute3 I do that in a jiffy.I have Contribute3, but have only used it to update my homepage. How can I use Contribute3 to edit individual cards? What if I have added more cards, can Contribute3 update them also? Wouldn't I have to know which web cards were new?

Thomas Blomberg
20 June 2005, 10:34 PM
As several posts in this thread talk about the extreme slowness when uploading to .Mac, I suggest you read the post I just placed in the thread >Using Software & Hardware with Reunion > Instructions for creating .mac site (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?p=1812#post1812).
Like most of you, I have dragged and dropped the webfolder created by Reunion into my iDisk, and the upload has taken several frustrating days.
However, having read a post yesterday, where someone very briefly mentioned the FTP programme Transmit in an .Mac discussion, I decided to try it. Using Transmit, my webfolder, consisting of some 3,400 files with a combined size of 17.8MB, went across in 25 minutes, instead of 48-60 hours!
You can try it for free from http://www.panic.com/transmit/, and I think you'll find that the fully fledged version is well worth its $30!

Steve W. Jackson
21 June 2005, 07:12 PM
As several posts in this thread talk about the extreme slowness when uploading to .Mac, I suggest you read the post I just placed in the thread >Using Software & Hardware with Reunion > Instructions for creating .mac site (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?p=1812#post1812).
Like most of you, I have dragged and dropped the webfolder created by Reunion into my iDisk, and the upload has taken several frustrating days.
However, having read a post yesterday, where someone very briefly mentioned the FTP programme Transmit in an .Mac discussion, I decided to try it. Using Transmit, my webfolder, consisting of some 3,400 files with a combined size of 17.8MB, went across in 25 minutes, instead of 48-60 hours!
You can try it for free from http://www.panic.com/transmit/, and I think you'll find that the fully fledged version is well worth its $30!
If you need to upload a large volume to your .Mac iDisk, then you clearly don't want to do it Apple's "easy" way, as you've found. There is not any FTP capability available, since the iDisk uses the WebDAV protocol. Transmit is one of a handful of products that do this protocol well. Those with .Mac accounts may want to look at Apple's discussion boards for information.

= Steve =

Mitthrawnuruodo
22 June 2005, 04:27 PM
I don't have a .mac account, but I regularly use ftp to update our genealogy page: http://www.look.no/anita/slekt/ which webcards folder by now has grown to contain about 65.000 files (including html files and images). Even if they don't weigh to much the sheer number of files was starting to make the transfer just too tedious. To avoid this I started to make an archive of the webcards folder and ftp that over, since one (large) file takes a fraction of the time to upload:

Feeling both Dropstuff to make .sit/.zip/.tgz files and the built-in Create Archive function in Mac OS X to make .zip files was too slow, so I use Terminal and the tar command to make a zipped archive (.tgz or .tar.gz gfile). (Without the graphic user interface the speed-up is fantastic.)

I then upload this file using an ftp application (like the above mentioned Transmit or Fetch or the free options RBrowser Lite or, again, Terminal.app and ftp, sftp or scp) to upload that archived file.

Now this scheme depends on the ability to unpack the archive "on the other side". I usually login to my webhost with the ssh command and unpack using tar, but if you're uncomfortable using Terminal.app or your webhost has disabled ssh login, your ftp client (program) need to support the unpacking of archives. I know this is supported in Fetch and I know its _not_ supported in RBrowser Lite (maybe in the full shareware version). Transmit I don't use, so I dont know.

Now, each update takes me about 10 minutes: A few minutes to make the tgz file of the ~65.000 files, a couple of minutes to upload (the typically ~15MB tgz file) and about a minute to unpack on the webserver.