PDA

View Full Version : How large should a family file be?

Frank C
13 February 2006, 01:50 PM
In 2003 I switched from a PC to an IMAC and after trying Macfamily I went to Reunion 8. I am very pleased with the program.

I started with my family and my wife's family and now I have 1230 people on a single file. The family branches are all linked to me or my wife.

Should I split the file into two files or continue?

I would appreciate your advice .

Thank you.

theKiwi
13 February 2006, 03:14 PM
Should I split the file into two files or continue?
Just carry on. There is no theoretical limit to how many individuals can be in a single family file.

I have a file with over 69,000 people in it, and that is by no means the largest Reunion file around I'm sure.

Once you get to many many tens of thousands things like generating or refreshing the Places list or the index take some time, but there's no actual limit imposed by the Reunion software.

Roger

SGilbert
13 February 2006, 03:16 PM
I run 2 family files; 11,400 on my wife's and 3600 on mine.

Honestly, I find no appreciable lag difference on the larger file, if that is your concern.

The only reason I use 2 files is for the simplicity of sending info to other family members, or (rarely) a gedcom of the entire family.

Also, given the 500 name limit on speed names, it is less time consuming keeping them separate.

Frank C
14 February 2006, 08:48 AM
Just carry on. There is no theoretical limit to how many individuals can be in a single family file.

I have a file with over 69,000 people in it, and that is by no means the largest Reunion file around I'm sure.

Once you get to many many tens of thousands things like generating or refreshing the Places list or the index take some time, but there's no actual limit imposed by the Reunion software.

Roger
Thank you for the prompt response. I am relieved to know I can expand without software problems.

Lola
14 February 2006, 01:41 PM
I run 2 family files; 11,400 on my wife's and 3600 on mine.

Honestly, I find no appreciable lag difference on the larger file, if that is your concern.

The only reason I use 2 files is for the simplicity of sending info to other family members, or (rarely) a gedcom of the entire family.

Also, given the 500 name limit on speed names, it is less time consuming keeping them separate.

The only reason I chose to have two separate files for my husband and I is that we have no biological children together. We both have children from previous marriages though. (p.s. I'm waiting for my iWork program to get here so I can transfer my files from v. 7 to 8.06. Need to specify a word processor before I can start.)

SGilbert
14 February 2006, 02:39 PM
You can start NOW! You don't "need" a word processor. You always have TextEdit, however slim it is. Sure beats the old SimpleText! Don't you have Appleworks from sometime in the past? Works quite nicely.

EDIT: I re-read your post---v.8 can use your v.7 files! v.8 will correct them for use.

The only duplicate files I have on my two files are my wife, 3 children, and me. Continuation of my children, marriages & offspring, will remain on my file, as they have my name.

musikhall
21 February 2006, 10:48 AM
Most of my work is regional and my file contains over 591,000 individuals most of which are connected in some manner. You will notice an impact on processing speed for most functions with these size files but that is expected. Re-indexing the file takes a long time! I have been impressed that normal lookup and adding to or editing the file manually has immediate response time.

I am looking forward to Version 9 and the new Intel based MacBook Pro!

Steve