PDA

View Full Version : Transferring data from FTM

NanKNels
07 February 2006, 06:54 PM
I am buying a new computer and leaning towards a mac. I would like to transfer years of data from Family Tree Maker (PC) to the mac. Is it possible to transfer data safely and in full to Renion.

theKiwi
08 February 2006, 08:03 AM
As Genealogist for the Clan Moffat Society I receive FTM files from time to time from Members. As far as I know I have been able to get the contents of these files into Reunion without loss of data.

It would certainly help if for a while you had your Mac and PC available together while you do this so that you can look at the FTM file as you clean up what has arrived in your Reunion file.

The main "problem" is that things from FTM will arrive in Reunion with odd tags like _MEN, _MST, _MDC that you then have to figure out from FTM just what they were and what to name them in Reunion.

I use Virtual PC for this when needed.

Roger

NanKNels
08 February 2006, 08:55 AM
Is this "virtual PC" software for the MAC? Isn't there a way that I can rename the tags in FTM before transferring them over to Reunion? Is Reunion the only MAC family tree program that you use on the Mac. I did read that there are a few problems with version 8 but it is the best rated for the mac. Thanks for all your help with this.

theKiwi
08 February 2006, 09:42 AM
Is this "virtual PC" software for the MAC?
Yes it's a software that runs on a Macintosh that emulates a PC chip so that you can run Windows and Windows software on the Macintosh.

I use it because I don't have a PC, and don't want to have a PC, but do find a few things that need a PC - like dealing with people's FTM files, making Windows versions of FileMaker Pro runtime files, reading the World Place Finder CDs and the various LDS CD sets I've bought (1881 British Census for example). But since you already have a PC I wouldn't suggest buying Virtual PC right away - at least until you find after you've made the move to Macintosh that there's something PC related you really can't do without. I wouldn't consider a desire to run FTM on a full time basis something you can't live without though. Note that if you buy a new Intel powered iMac, it won't run Virtual PC. Microsoft are working on this (whatever that means).

Isn't there a way that I can rename the tags in FTM before transferring them over to Reunion?
I haven't found a way to do this (but then I'm not a FTM user - I have it simply to get GEDCOM files out of FTM files when the file's owners don't know how to). It's not much trouble to find out what happened afterwards and clean it up in Reunion though.

Is Reunion the only MAC family tree program that you use on the Mac.
No there are other softwares for doing genealogy on a Macintosh. http://macgenealogy.org has details on some of the others. Many would say it's the best genealogy software for Macintosh though.

I did read that there are a few problems with version 8 but it is the best rated for the mac.
I don't think Reunion has "problems" - ie everything it does works and for the most part works very well, but I think that now more than 3 years after the release of Reunion 8 it does have shortcomings - features not present that other software is using and improving on - for example Legacy (Windows software) can scan all your USA placenames and generate a report listing which ones are technically incorrect - ie incorrect because you used a county that didn't exist at the time you stated, or you have a place named that doesn't exist in the county you've said it was in.

The Wish List section of this forum contains ideas other people wish for in the next version.

Cheers

Roger

NanKNels
08 February 2006, 07:13 PM
Thank you. I am considering purchasing the IMAC with the intell chip. The information you sent was very useful.