PDA

View Full Version : iDisk & Reunion

Kathryn M. Doyle
10 March 2005, 06:49 PM
I'm new to Mac.com and wondering how to best use iDisk to store my Reunion files. Is it possible to use iDisk and access the file from both a laptop and desktop? In other words, use two computers and only the one file?

Bob Perdriau
10 March 2005, 07:30 PM
Kathryn,

Just put your file in the Document Folder. You can then access it from either computer anywhere in the world. You might want to go to the Apple site and look at a good tutorial on .Mac under the .Mac tab.

Bob Perdriau
Los Altos, CA

kbell
13 March 2005, 10:02 PM
I do this as well. It is great to be able to access my database from both my iMac and my iBook. The only caution I have about this is that you absolutely must back up your database in addition to allowing the iDisk to sync itself between .Mac and your two computers.

I have run into a couple of minor issues with resynchronization, but nothing serious and I have never had to go so far as to restore from a backup. But, you are always more safe to have good independent backups.

theKiwi
14 March 2005, 12:09 AM
I use ChronoSynch - a software that keeps contents of folders synchronised - one of many such softwares to keep Documents folders synchronised between the 3 Macs we have at home - this is done over our LAN using 100 Megabit ethernet, so is very significantly faster than using .Mac, which of course requires an internet connection to be in place before you can even see your .Mac documents folder.

If you don't have your computers linked locally I'd recommend that you do this - even if you do it through whatever device you have (eg a router) to share your internet connection at home.

Then as long as you're at least just a little bit careful, you'll run the synchronsing software after you've made changes to the file on one computer and before you make changes to the file on another computer. This way you'll always have the latest version of the file on both computers.

The wee amount of extra care you need to exercise doing this would far outweigh the aggravations of trying to deal with a Reunion datafile by accessing it using a .Mac account and the WebDAV connection to it on your iDisk.

Roger

Kathryn M. Doyle
20 March 2005, 09:38 PM
Roger,

Thanks for the information about ChronoSynch. I'm already seeing that using iDisc for this purpose is S-L-O-W. Is it okay to contact you directly if I have questions?

Kathryn Doyle
Piedmont, CA

theKiwi
20 March 2005, 11:09 PM
Roger,

Thanks for the information about ChronoSynch. I'm already seeing that using iDisc for this purpose is S-L-O-W. Is it okay to contact you directly if I have questions?

Kathryn Doyle
Piedmont, CA

Yes if it is about using ChronoSynch, and not about Reunion in particular - if it's Reunion, then post it here would be better.

Roger