PDA

View Full Version : Appleworks vs Word

rhsimon
28 January 2006, 10:05 AM
I am upgrading to a G5 from a G3. Will run 10.4 on both. The G5 will have Word. Questions, Can you operate in both basic programs. Is it easy to convert from AW to Word. Would a PC user be able to open the Word Version
Is it best to stick to AW6 as the base and use Gedcom and FTP files for sharing.

Thanks
Ron Simonson

Janet Mobley
31 January 2006, 07:38 PM
I am upgrading to a G5 from a G3. Will run 10.4 on both. The G5 will have Word. Questions, Can you operate in both basic programs. Is it easy to convert from AW to Word. Would a PC user be able to open the Word Version
Is it best to stick to AW6 as the base and use Gedcom and FTP files for sharing.

Thanks
Ron SimonsonRon,

You can work in one or both as long as the writing is saved in Text format. But if you are going to trade information with any PC users, you are better off using Word. Yes, a PC user will be able to open your Word files providing his Word is as new as your version.

If what you write is saved as Text rather than in AW or Word format, it can be opened easily.

Janet Mobley
Petaluma, CA

dfilpus
31 January 2006, 09:54 PM
Ron,

You can work in one or both as long as the writing is saved in Text format. But if you are going to trade information with any PC users, you are better off using Word. Yes, a PC user will be able to open your Word files providing his Word is as new as your version.

If what you write is saved as Text rather than in AW or Word format, it can be opened easily.

Janet Mobley
Petaluma, CAI have found that Word files to be problematic between Mac's and PC's, even if the Word app's are at the same version. I have found RTF (Rich Text Format) to be better for transferring files that do not look good in Text format. Your mileage may vary.

If I want to send a document that contains graphics to multiple people, I send it in PDF format. MacOS X has PDF built into the printer driver. Almost any application that can print, can generate a PDF. It is the best cross platform solution after TEXT.

rhsimon
01 February 2006, 08:04 PM
Thank you for the insight. Will look forward to trying.

Ron Simonson