PDA

View Full Version : New Software: MemoryMiner

sashafaith
23 January 2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.memoryminer.com/

This was one of several Best in Show winners at the recent MacWorld Expo. I immediately tried it out and I am thrilled with the potential, despite the fact that several issues are still needing to be worked out - it is currently in beta. I was able to drag the photos I wanted right from iPhoto, the dates were already available because I had input them in iPhoto, most of my close living relatives were already in my address book, (with their birth dates, because I had already put them in, and address automatically puts their birthdays in my calendar for me, so sweet). I didn't like that the program added my dead relatives to my address book, and now their birthdays are all in my calendar as well, but that was pretty minor. The program added me to the people section, and all of my husband's family because we share the same last name. I went through the pictures and marked rectangles around each person in each of the pictures. Then I started bringing in more pictures & people in batches. For each of the people the program put in, it also looked up their addresses (as they were in my address book), and the program searched for the latitude and longitude and plotted it on the globe! I actually pulled census records out of my files to input addresses from my ancestors, and barring the situations where the landscape has completely changed, this program was able to pinpoint them on a map! Next I wrote a few notes for some of the pictures, then went through my genealogy files and attached a few documents relating to the people.

This program is supposed to be able to export an XML file which can be uploaded to the web. Then other people can share and search via person, place or date, and we can collaboratively document history. My only disappointment (aside from some minor technical glitches - half of which I'm sure are my own lack of experience with the program) is that I am not yet able to do the web export that is demonstrated on the MemoryMiner website. My slideshow was a little clunky, but this software is a masterpiece in progress, and I am sure that soon it will be amazing genealogists, scrappers, and obsessive photo & media documentarians the world over. I would LOVE it if this program could import a Gedcom file, maybe even use Gedcom for part of its database format. Just wondering if anyone else tried it out, and what you thought.

Derrick
18 March 2006, 11:10 AM
As a follow up to this, there is a review of MemoryMiner in the new Macworld:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/memoryminer1/index.php/?lsrc=mwrevrss

I too think that this is a wonderful program, but I'll wait a bit. It sounds like a great way to make a DVD of a family history, ken burns style; I'd love to see an example which incorporates documents as well as pictures.

sashafaith
13 May 2006, 09:17 AM
I've finally got my MemoryMiner slideshow up online. In the interactive window, you can choose a person, and see all the photos of that person. The map can let you zoom into a satellite image of the place where the photo was taken, and there are some multimedia files attached (more to come) but for now, I tried to at least make a link to my webpage of the person as it was generated by Reunion. Just thought you might want to see this program in action.

martha
16 May 2006, 01:59 AM
I've finally got my MemoryMiner slideshow up online. In the interactive window, you can choose a person, and see all the photos of that person. The map can let you zoom into a satellite image of the place where the photo was taken, and there are some multimedia files attached (more to come) but for now, I tried to at least make a link to my webpage of the person as it was generated by Reunion. Just thought you might want to see this program in action.

Very impressive. But I couldn't figure out how to see the places with satellite. Where was the map for each family?

Martha

sashafaith
16 May 2006, 09:54 PM
Very impressive. But I couldn't figure out how to see the places with satellite. Where was the map for each family?

Martha
You'll notice the words in the upper left corner below my title:
Interactive / Map / Viewer

Interactive is the first window with all the people listed on the right (in no particular order), images across the bottom (in date order) and a small preview of the image in the upper left of the screen

Map Viewer shows the world map. If you click on a person on the right it shows the areas associated with that person. If you select an image the Map shows the location with my label (assuming I knew the location and the coordinates were able to be located with the information I gave it).
The first time I tried to view the map, I kept seeing white blank screens - I think it takes a while for the images to load, and sometimes when you zoom, it goes white again. If you zoom in on a location, sometimes it takes a while for the image to show up. I am quite sure I was looking down at the roof of the Red Bluff Church when I zoomed in on it!

Viewer - displays a slide show of the pictures

Hope that helps! Sasha

sashafaith
16 May 2006, 09:58 PM
As a follow up to this, there is a review of MemoryMiner in the new Macworld:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/memoryminer1/index.php/?lsrc=mwrevrss

I too think that this is a wonderful program, but I'll wait a bit. It sounds like a great way to make a DVD of a family history, ken burns style; I'd love to see an example which incorporates documents as well as pictures.

I have made a DVD of my family history for one of my lines (quite Ken Burns style, btw). I used iDVD and iMovie and I was thrilled with the results (as was my family). I don't believe MemoryMiner is meant to do that kind of video export - it's meant to be an online network of connected photos and collaborative social history. It's still in progress - but I've been very happy with its evolution in the few short months since it first came out.