PDA

View Full Version : Possible Virus, Spam, Scam???

kyuck
15 January 2006, 05:52 PM
The other day I received an unsolicited email from "James" in England.

He said he had been surfing genealogy web sites and after looking at mine he really admired the work and detail I had put into it. He invited me to look at his web site and asked if I would be willing to place a link from my site to his. After the foregoing text was a web site address.

The odd thing is that I do not have a web site. I was just wondering if this could have been some type of virus, spam, or scam aimed at people with an interest in genealogy?

Bob Goode
15 January 2006, 10:57 PM

He said he had been surfing genealogy web sites and after looking at mine he really admired the work and detail I had put into it. He invited me to look at his web site and asked if I would be willing to place a link from my site to his. After the foregoing text was a web site address.

The odd thing is that I do not have a web site. I was just wondering if this could have been some type of virus, spam, or scam aimed at people with an interest in genealogy?

There is a very good possibility that this was a spammer "phishing" for active email addresses. If you click on the link to the web site address you are providing the individual with knowledege that your email is active.

Another possibility is the use of spyware.

In either case, you should not click on the link. At the present time there are no viruses for the mac OS X. No spyware exists for the OS X operating system.

Bob

John Hill
17 January 2006, 04:57 AM

I would treat this with the same suspicion as an e-mail asking me to update my details in a bank account I haven't got - i.e., exactly the same as an e-mail asking me to update my details in a bank account I *have* got.
Ignore it.
John.