PDA

View Full Version : Relationships

Don Tibbits
10 March 2005, 02:35 PM
I could have sworn that on the family displays there was an option to always show the relationship to the Home Name. I see how to make lists of these realtionships, but not how to have them always displayed when I switch from family to family. I'd not only like to have the direct line peoples relationships shown, but all blood relatives (cousins, etc). Any one know how to do this? Thanks. Don.

Frank
10 March 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi Don,
Go to your home card, and choose Find -> Relatives.

Don Tibbits
10 March 2005, 03:26 PM
Hi Don,

Hi Frank, Thanks for the response, but as I noted, though it may not have been obvious, I know how to get the relationship list. I thought you used to be able to have it show on the family pages .. on the line where you can have the Soundex show. Also like on the birth line the option is there to have the persons death date. I'd like to have the relationship available on the display, somewhere, and not always have to go to a list. This has just reminded me a something more for the wish list. I'm headed there now. Thanks again.

Frank
10 March 2005, 04:14 PM
Hi Don,

When you choose Find -> Relatives, a window called "Relatives" appears with two tabs. It should appear with the "Identify" tab highlighted. (The other tab is "List," which, I understand, you don't want to do right now.)

When you click the Identify button, Reunion will calculate all the relationships and display them on the family cards. You can now close this window, and navigate around your family file and see the relationships on-screen, just above the names of husband/wife.

Don Tibbits
10 March 2005, 04:46 PM
Hi Don,

When you choose Find -> Relatives, a window called "Relatives" appears with two tabs. It should appear with the "Identify" tab highlighted. (The other tab is "List," which, I understand, you don't want to do right now.)

When you click the Identify button, Reunion will calculate all the relationships and display them on the family cards. You can now close this window, and navigate around your family file and see the relationships on-screen, just above the names of husband/wife.

Ah... yes Frank. I've done exactly that a dozen times, but the relationships don't show. Is there an Menu-Option that I'm missing that needs to be turned on? Do I need to trash a preference file? In the Relatives window I have everything checked. I'm using 8.06 with OSX 10.3.8.. I know I've had it working in the past. I've tried it on both my file and my wifes' file.

Michael
10 March 2005, 05:08 PM
I thought you used to be able to have it show on the family pages .. on the line where you can have the Soundex show. Also like on the birth line the option is there to have the persons death date. I'd like to have the relationship available on the display, somewhere, and not always have to go to a list.
. . .
I've done exactly that a dozen times, but the relationships don't show. Is there an Menu-Option that I'm missing that needs to be turned on? Do I need to trash a preference file? In the Relatives window I have everything checked. I'm using 8.06 with OSX 10.3.8.. I know I've had it working in the past. I've tried it on both my file and my wifes' file.Hi Don,

Calculated relationships will appear above the person's name button on the family card. There's no need to enable any settings to see them, either. Once you've calculated the relationships, they'll appear directly on the card.

Don Tibbits
10 March 2005, 05:28 PM
Hi Don,

Calculated relationships will appear above the person's name button on the family card. There's no need to enable any settings to see them, either. Once you've calculated the relationships, they'll appear directly on the card.

Michael,
I am very Mac and Reunion savvy.. and as I keep saying ... they don't!!!!!
I go to Menu Bar - Find Relatives.
With Identify active I click on the Identify button, the program prepares the fields and the window changes to the List section.
I click on Close and the relationships do not show.
In the Relatives window, I have all options checked, except for Living Only.
Don

Don Tibbits
10 March 2005, 05:45 PM
Aha!!! I found the problem.

As I was mulling this over, I started playing with background colors because a member of our Genealogy group didn't know how to do it. I selected a lighter background and .... there they are .. the relationships have been there all the time! The text was overwhelmed by the color.
Don

Michael
10 March 2005, 06:40 PM
Aha!!! I found the problem.

As I was mulling this over, I started playing with background colors because a member of our Genealogy group didn't know how to do it. I selected a lighter background and .... there they are .. the relationships have been there all the time! The text was overwhelmed by the color.
DonAhhh! Good catch! I'll have to make a note of that -- I didn't think about that one. :)

Mace
10 March 2005, 11:06 PM
Hi,

I will pick a nit here... just in case someone stumbles upon this thread in the future. There are 2 very different menu options:

List->Relatives
Find->Relationships

It sounds like what you are doing is using the menu command "List->Relatives". This will generate the list of all relatives for a given person and also make the closest relationship visible on the family card. For example, if person A is a "2C" and "3C" to person B, the family card will only show "2C" (2nd cousin).

If one chooses "Find->Relationship", this brings up a window in which you choose 2 people for which you want to see every which way they are related. So, in the example above, after you've chosen person A and B and clicked OK, it will show you they are "2C" as well as the common ancestor. If you click on one of the arrows at the bottom of the window, you'll go to the "3C" relationship and the other common ancestor is shown.

The original poster was really asking about the "List->Relatives" option but calling it "Find->Relatives", which actually isn't an option.

Regards,

Mace

Michael
11 March 2005, 08:20 AM
The original poster was really asking about the "List->Relatives" option but calling it "Find->Relatives", which actually isn't an option.Hi Mace,

Actually, there is a Find -> Relatives option -- it will take you to the "Identify" tab of the "Relatives" window. You use this option to calculate the relatives for a given source person.

Dinee
11 March 2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Don,

I'm so glad this question was asked - and I've just taken the steps to do this with both HOME cards (my husband and my card) and now it'll be so much easier when posting and emailing relatives about certain folks. ie - "she was my ggg grandmother's sister)...etc etc.

PS: Don, that's too funny that the by accident you discovered the problem via the colors!

Mace
20 March 2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Mace,

Actually, there is a Find -> Relatives option -- it will take you to the "Identify" tab of the "Relatives" window. You use this option to calculate the relatives for a given source person.

Right you are! I never noticed that before. Find->Relatives and List->Relatives take you to the same window, albeit different tabs of the window.

Mace