PDA

View Full Version : Spouse and in-law families?

Janet Mobley
07 January 2006, 02:01 PM
I'm wondering just how far one should go in entering people into the family file. I just found my husband's records from his first cousin. It lists her family; parents, children, etc. I've been putting them into my Reunion file which has my direct line of ancestors and descendants, my first husband (father of my children) my second husband and his family of ancestors and descendants.

I have the lines of in-laws and step in-laws, etc. Or should you just confine the Family File only to your direct line of ancestors and descendants?

I just got to thinking that if one went far enough afield, we would be related to everyone!

Janet

Janet Mobley
janmobley@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/janmobley/home.html
Researching Larke, Robbins, Hardie, Downie

theKiwi
07 January 2006, 02:47 PM
I add anyone who is related to me, no matter how distant that relationship.

I also sometimes keep information on people related to people related to me (who aren't themselves directly related to me).

I also keep data on people with the same name in the same place as I'm searching in the assumption that one day I might find the link to them as well.

For example my Dewar ancestor, John Dewar was born in Culross Scotland in 1834, and I've included in my database a number of other people, and the headstones I've seen there with the same name, but so far no known relationship to me.

Since Reunion can hold an unlimited number of people in a file, I see no reason to exclude anyone if they fit any of the above criteria.

Cheers

Roger

David G. Kanter
07 January 2006, 04:03 PM
I add anyone who is related to me, no matter how distant that relationship.I would second that approach, but even extend it to the in-law families of our descendants. (Much of what I do on my family genealogy is with the hope that it will be of value to those in generations after mine.)

When I'm doing a Relative Chart or Ancestors Chart [i][i.e., a Pedigree Chart

metfordplatt
10 January 2006, 06:49 AM
I always used to put parents of spouses who married into the family in, but when I discovered my Montgomery Co. PA, PA Dutch ancestors intermarried, I expanded it to siblings and then I started adding first cousins.

When I looked at my father's side (other side of the family) in PA census records from Pittsburgh, finding them on ancestry.com's valuable census data, I learned that 2-3 generations ago (when they immigrated) the people they married later worked together in the Railroad industry and steel mills. I ended up looking up everyone from the 1910, 1920 and 1930 censuses, finding they also lived on the same streets and adding even boarders who used to appear in old pictures. No one knew 20 years ago who they were or if related. So they whole thing became expanded. I've helped a couple of second cousins with their spouse's families, so my 2 cents worth is to include anyone you can get your hands on. Some day someone else will be grateful.

Michel