PDA

View Full Version : Can't add or delete...

Jack Emerson
10 March 2005, 10:19 AM
I've just got back to using reunion 8 after a 6 month spell to find I can't delete or add anything ,can anybody tell me what I've done or not done.

Michael
10 March 2005, 04:22 PM
I've just got back to using reunion 8 after a 6 month spell to find I can't delete or add anything ,can anybody tell me what I've done or not done.If you're using OS X, it is possible that your OS X ownership and permissions settings have become damaged in some way. These damaged settings could prevent you from editing your family file.

In this case, I recommend that you try repairing permissions using the Disk Utility program (...Applications : Utilities : Disk Utility) on your computer. For specific instructions, see this page...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=152064

Then, try to edit your family file again.

If you continue to experience problems, please contact us directly (help@leisterpro.com).

Steve W. Jackson
11 March 2005, 05:31 PM
If you're using OS X, it is possible that your OS X ownership and permissions settings have become damaged in some way. These damaged settings could prevent you from editing your family file.

In this case, I recommend that you try repairing permissions using the Disk Utility program (...Applications : Utilities : Disk Utility) on your computer. For specific instructions, see this page...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=152064

Then, try to edit your family file again.

If you continue to experience problems, please contact us directly (help@leisterpro.com).

The link provided isn't valid, apparently, saying that the referenced document doesn't exist.

It's a common misconception that using the Repair Permissions feature will fix this kind of thing. In actuality, this only corrects permissions at the system level and for applications which use the Apple Installer program. Few use that except Apple itself. But the "correct" permissions are specified in those receipt files in /Library/Receipts, which will never include third party programs using their own installers. Nor will it include individual user file permissions.

= Steve =

Michael
11 March 2005, 06:12 PM
The link provided isn't valid, apparently, saying that the referenced document doesn't exist.Ack! Apple pulled out the rug on me. :o This link has some permissions information as well...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106712

It's a common misconception that using the Repair Permissions feature will fix this kind of thing. In actuality, this only corrects permissions at the system level and for applications which use the Apple Installer program. Few use that except Apple itself. But the "correct" permissions are specified in those receipt files in /Library/Receipts, which will never include third party programs using their own installers. Nor will it include individual user file permissions.That's absolutely true, however, if the family file resides in the Applications folder (we're aware that we're breaking the rules here a bit), then you may see a problem like Jack has described. At the very least, it's a place to start with troubleshooting. :)

iullman
12 March 2005, 05:04 PM
Another option is find the family file and select get info. Under Ownership & Permissions make sure you can "Read & Write." It may ask you for your password if you change the permissions.

Ian