PDA

View Full Version : Find Anything List

Venita Roylance
10 March 2005, 02:24 AM
Is there a way to keep a found list open and go back to a family file? I would like to be able to refer to a list of, for example, names without death dates and do some on-line research and then enter the info I find into my file, then go back to the list and do another, etc.

Maybe this is something to add to the 'wish list?'

Yours,

Venita

Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

HuubTM
10 March 2005, 02:51 AM
Is there a way to keep a found list open and go back to a family file? I would like to be able to refer to a list of, for example, names without death dates and do some on-line research and then enter the info I find into my file, then go back to the list and do another, etc.

Maybe this is something to add to the 'wish list?'

Yours,

Venita

Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

There are several ways to do this. In the first place, a found list that has been closed, can always be opened again, as long as you don't have overwritten it by a newer foundlist, by pressing <cmd>R on your keyboard.
In the second place, you can mark everyone in a found list, and the next time search for marked people, to reopen the list.
In the third way, you can put a flag to every marked person, and search for people with that specific flag if you want the same list again. In that case you dont have to keep them marked, and you can use the marings for something else.
And the fourth, and most elegant way, you can see in the Found list window. Below, next to the "mark" button, is a "found lists" button. Here you can save your list, and give it a name.

Venita Roylance
11 March 2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks, Huub. I've actually used all three of those options and they work. But there are times when I want have both windows open at the same time, but of course you have to close the list window before you can work with the file window. I was hoping there was some little trick that I haven't discovered that would allow me to do it.

Yours,

Venita

Kaye Saunders
14 March 2005, 07:09 PM
What about marking the list and then exporting the data from it to a spreadsheet and having it open in a small corner of the desktop - both would be visible and you could work on the data but have your other informaiton on hand?

HuubTM
14 March 2005, 10:42 PM
What about marking the list and then exporting the data from it to a spreadsheet and having it open in a small corner of the desktop - both would be visible and you could work on the data but have your other informaiton on hand?

This is of course another option, which reminds me of yet another, very oldfashioned method. Why not simply print the list, and put the sheet of paper next to your screen ;-))