PDA

View Full Version : Research Database Software

Ed Dorroh
28 December 2005, 05:55 PM
Anyone familiar with Bygones or Cloos (is this the correct spelling?) or other "research database" programs? I feel the need for some way to organize my research - as you know, some of it needs to be done by family name, some by location, etc. and I need a way to see where I have already searched and what those results were, etc.
I have downloaded Bygones, but it looks like a pretty steep learning curve. I would appreciate user comments on it and/or other similar programs.
Thanks,
Ed Dorroh

Bob White
28 December 2005, 07:39 PM
Also, how about GenSmarts (www.gensmarts.com )? As far as I can tell, they only have Windoze currently but note on the site that they are willing to look into doing Mac or Linux. Several magazine reviews found it to be very impressive. As it works with Virtual PC, I was wondering if any Reunion users here had played with GenSmarts.

kyuck
29 December 2005, 10:48 PM
Has anyone tried Now-Up-To-Date available at http://www.nowsoftware.com/
as a Research Database Software?

AE Palmer
30 December 2005, 06:44 PM
Has anyone tried Now-Up-To-Date available at http://www.nowsoftware.com/
as a Research Database Software?

Now-up-to-Date software has been around for a long time. It is an excellent tool for keeping track of both personal data (businesses too) and calendar related events. That said, it does not do word processing well - data can be linked and stored however.

I've been using ND & Contact for more than 7 years. I am a happy camper at this point. NOTE: I do NOT have any connection with Now Software, inc.

In three words: go for it!

Troy
04 January 2006, 04:37 PM
Anyone familiar with Bygones or Cloos (is this the correct spelling?) or other "research database" programs? I feel the need for some way to organize my research - as you know, some of it needs to be done by family name, some by location, etc. and I need a way to see where I have already searched and what those results were, etc.
I have downloaded Bygones, but it looks like a pretty steep learning curve. I would appreciate user comments on it and/or other similar programs.
Thanks,
Ed Dorroh

Ed---

I also need to get my research efforts organized in some way and thanks to your thread am also looking at the various options and thought I would put in my 2-cents worth < grin >.

Agree that Bygones looks very powerful, but would definitely take some time to learn it, especially me. Clooz also seems very capable and will also take some learning-time. There is one called Custodian, but I did not look at it closely since it is a little pricey for me (~$100 US....it is British I believe). The GenSmarts looks promising, but not really what I had in mind.

Too bad I'm not really database-smart-enough to design my own, but have to rely on others for that < grin >.

If you find some other software package in your search, please let us all know.

Thanks.

Troy---

Frank Mitchell
05 January 2006, 04:02 AM
Ed---
There is one called Custodian, but I did not look at it closely since it is a little pricey for me (~$100 US....it is British I believe).

Yes, Custodian is British, but there is no version for the Mac

Troy
05 January 2006, 06:13 PM
Now-up-to-Date software has been around for a long time. It is an excellent tool for keeping track of both personal data (businesses too) and calendar related events. That said, it does not do word processing well - data can be linked and stored however.

I've been using ND & Contact for more than 7 years. I am a happy camper at this point. NOTE: I do NOT have any connection with Now Software, inc.

In three words: go for it!

Arnold---

I am taking a look at ND & Contact (trial version) and was wondering if you would share how you use it/them with your Reunion data to help organize your research efforts (e.g., do you make To-Do entries with extensive notes in them?).

Thanks.

Troy---

Troy
06 January 2006, 04:57 PM
Yes, Custodian is British, but there is no version for the Mac

Frank---

Do you have and use the Custodian software? If yes, your thoughts would be appreciated.

I did a closer look at Custodian II software and it looks very capable and user-friendly, although oriented for British records which is understandable. It might be worth the expense, even though you would have to run it in Virtual PC mode < grin >.

Troy---

AE Palmer
06 January 2006, 07:36 PM
Arnold---

I am taking a look at ND & Contact (trial version) and was wondering if you would share how you use it/them with your Reunion data to help organize your research efforts (e.g., do you make To-Do entries with extensive notes in them?).

Thanks.
Troy---

Since NTD has both dated and undated to-do event options, it is easy to create short notes to remind you about unfinished tasks. I usually use the dated version. Both allow for notes. The length of the note(s) depends on one's needs. My memory is still sharp enough that my notes tend to be short and somewhat cryptic although I have had occasions to make extensive comments. Some people include near verbatim transcriptions of phone calls

Troy
06 January 2006, 08:12 PM
Arnold---

Thanks for taking the time to reply and answer my question.

It sounds like a very good system.

I have not had much time to really learn the software's features and am not sure whether or not the "search / find" function is able to find word(s) within the event's notes. Since my memory is not what it used to be and I would probably forget where I entered or made reference to something-or-other, I would really need that type of search / find capability.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Troy---

Frank Mitchell
07 January 2006, 05:16 AM
Frank---

Do you have and use the Custodian software? If yes, your thoughts would be appreciated.

I did a closer look at Custodian II software and it looks very capable and user-friendly, although oriented for British records which is understandable. It might be worth the expense, even though you would have to run it in Virtual PC mode < grin >.

Troy---
Troy,
I don't think I can help you much. I bought Custodian v2 about 3-4 years ago to try it out with Virtual PC (v4 back then, I think).

The civil registration (vital records) section wouldn't display properly and I gave up but I don't know whether the fault was with Custodian or VPC. I also had other problems with VPC v5 on my G4 last year, so went back to using VPC v3 on an old Mac 610 (still with OS 7) - I only use it to read the LDS data CDs.

I decided to try using Reunion itself to collect my 'unused' records. I keep them in a Reunion file called "Misc Records" which now has about 200 separate families in it, some with several generations. If one of them turns out to connect to one of my main lines later I should be able to simply export the whole family (with sources) and import them straight into my main file.

Time will tell if this is a good idea or not.

Troy
07 January 2006, 09:16 AM
Frank---

Thanks for the response and information.

Since the Custodian site doesn't seem to offer a downloadable trial version, your information is what I needed to know before making a decision.

Your idea of using a separate Reunion database is an excellent one.

Thanks for the help.

Take care.

Troy---

David G. Kanter
07 January 2006, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=Frank Mitchell]

Frank Mitchell
08 January 2006, 03:25 AM
For some thoughts on keeping yet-to-be-connected/proven individuals and mini-trees within your primary Family File, see the thread [url=http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=589]

Thanks David. I did consider doing this originally and it would work just as well.

My main family file contains about 13,000 people and about 9500 families (not remarkable but big enough) and I was reluctant to have another 200 castaway families and sources cluttering it up.

I'm a 'keep it simple' person 8^)

Frank