PDA

View Full Version : Reading FTM CD's on a Mac?

Richard Platt
21 December 2005, 12:49 PM
This may be a bit off topic, but there is a problem that has been bothering me for some time.

There are lots of excellent CD's for sale from NEHGS and the Genealogical Publishing Co., to name a couple of sources, that are playable only on Family Tree Maker or a program called Family Archive Viewer for Windows. Is there a way to play them on the Macintosh or on Reunion (i.e. has someone developed software so that we can read them)?

Richard Platt

Steve W. Jackson
21 December 2005, 07:37 PM
...There are lots of excellent CD's for sale from NEHGS and the Genealogical Publishing Co., to name a couple of sources, that are playable only on Family Tree Maker or a program called Family Archive Viewer for Windows. Is there a way to play them on the Macintosh or on Reunion (i.e. has someone developed software so that we can read them)?The last time I looked into those CDs, their content wasn't really all it was cracked up to be. Most of what's on them is bulk-collected information that's being repackaged and sold for profit. YMMV.

There was previously a viewer program for Macs that could read those CDs, but that's long since gone the way of the dinosaurs. A couple years or more ago I remember seeing messages to people asking about them that essentially told Mac users to simply get Virtual PC or other software to run the Windows viewer program. My advice to you would be to find someone you know whose opinion you can trust to tell you if their contents are really worth that kind of trouble and expense.

= Steve =

WilliamTaber
21 December 2005, 08:57 PM
...There are lots of excellent CD's for sale from NEHGS and the Genealogical Publishing Co., to name a couple of sources, that are playable only on Family Tree Maker or a program called Family Archive Viewer for Windows. Is there a way to play them on the Macintosh or on Reunion (i.e. has someone developed software so that we can read them)?I agree with Steve's general assessment of the CDs. My subscriptions on Ancestry.com are a much better investment for me. There is no longer a Family Archive Viewer available for the Mac. I tried to install the old 68k version of the viewer on my PowerMac, but was not successful.

Al mitchell
21 December 2005, 10:48 PM
...There are lots of excellent CD's for sale from NEHGS and the Genealogical Publishing Co., to name a couple of sources, that are playable only on Family Tree Maker or a program called Family Archive Viewer for Windows. Is there a way to play them on the Macintosh or on Reunion (i.e. has someone developed software so that we can read them)?I have an old FTM for Mac, but you would have to run that program under 9.X or Classic. I could read the CDs that came with FTM for Windows in the Mac version, but as Steve mentioned, the value of the CDs you want to read are questionable. If I were you, I would spend my time and money on the online sources.

Pete Cook
23 December 2005, 10:56 PM
The CD versions of published books are worth having, because they are fully searchable. Some examples:

"Genealogy of the Family of George Weekes of Dorchester, Mass.," published in 1885. (It contains all of my Weeks/Weekes ancestors back to the 1600s.)

"Directory of Deceased American Physicians 1804-1929," published by AMA. (Contains my grandfather.)

"Ohio Soldiers in World War I Military Records." (Contains my father.)

"Mareen Duvall of Middle Plantation." (Contains all of my cousin's ancestors.)

To read these, I use Family Tree Maker 6.0 running on the Windows XP version of Virtual PC 6.0, on my Mac G4 with Mac OS 10.4.3 (Tiger). This software combination works very well, and these CD's are the only reason I ever run Windows on my Mac!

(Oops. Two of the above CD's do not require FTM for viewing. The Weekes CD is a PDF doc, and the Duvall CD is an RTF doc.)

Richard Platt
24 December 2005, 03:32 PM
Steve, William and Al,

Granted, the CD's sold by FTM are not worth it, but you apparently did not read carefully what I posted. What I was referring to was, in particular, a CD sold by Genealogical Publishing Company which has Jacobus' Families of Old Fairfield, also Stiles' Families of Ancient Windsor, Abbott's Families of Early Milford, etc. - nine books in all on Connecticut genealogy that are important references.

I went to the Bridgeport Public Library, which has a fine genealogy collection, only to find that their copy of the Fairfield Jacobus has disappeared! For $40, it is well worth my while to have this CD, as I have many Conn. families in my lineage. Much cheaper than buying the books, and I can use a search as well.

NEHGS also has some very good CD's which must be read on FTM.

Merry Christmas!
Dick Platt

SHewlett
02 February 2006, 12:36 PM
Granted, the CD's sold by FTM are not worth it, but you apparently did not read carefully what I posted. What I was referring to was, in particular, a CD sold by Genealogical Publishing Company which has Jacobus' Families of Old Fairfield, also Stiles' Families of Ancient Windsor, Abbott's Families of Early Milford, etc. - nine books in all on Connecticut genealogy that are important references...Dick--

Please forgive me if you have already received your answer, but am just now catching up with December news.

To answer your question, yes, the Connecticut Genealogy CD as sold by Genealogical Publishing will work on your Mac provided you have the Mac version of Family Tree Maker that contains the archive CD viewer. Many of the FTM CDs are very worthwhile; to name a few: the National Genealogical Society Quarterly, the Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine, and Pennsylvania Wills 1682-1834.

The CDs produced by NEHGS are in "Folio" format that will run on a Mac without adding any software, and do not require FTM archive CD viewer.

Sandi Hewlett

S. Kennedy
02 February 2006, 02:28 PM
Dick--

Please forgive me if you have already received your answer, but am just now catching up with December news.

To answer your question, yes, the Connecticut Genealogy CD as sold by Genealogical Publishing will work on your Mac provided you have the Mac version of Family Tree Maker that contains the archive CD viewer. Many of the FTM CDs are very worthwhile; to name a few: the National Genealogical Society Quarterly, the Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine, and Pennsylvania Wills 1682-1834.

The CDs produced by NEHGS are in "Folio" format that will run on a Mac without adding any software, and do not require FTM archive CD viewer.

Sandi Hewlett

My memory is a bit foggy and I am not sure of the connection today between FTM and Genealogical Pub. However. I do remember that some time after FTM dropped Mac support all of their literature for any new CDs they published said that they could only be read by the Windows version of FTM and not the Mac version. Maybe they were only trying to sell new versions of FTM Windows but this aggravation was one of the main reasons for my dropping FTM. I think some care is prudent before purchasing genealogical CDs even if you have FTM Mac.