PDA

View Full Version : Which group?

fmlyhntr
20 December 2005, 11:05 PM
I've been debating joining a genealogy group like ancestry.com. Do people here have any recommendations?

Christina

John M. Leggett
21 December 2005, 05:57 PM
I've been debating joining a genealogy group like ancestry.com. Do people here have any recommendations?Yes--DON"T get involved with Ancestry.com.

Try your local library as they may provide access to several genealogy sites--and for free.

In my experience, Ancestry promises a lot but all they deliver is bills.

They are currently involved in settling a class action lawsuit for deceiving subscribers by failure to properly inform us of the real cost of subscriptions.

John M. Leggett

MabryBenson
21 December 2005, 06:06 PM
If you have a branch of the LDS Family History Library close, go there. they have Ancestry available to use at no cost to you.

I have access to Heritage Quest at home with my membership to the New England & New York genealogy societies - I would rather see them get the money. HQ does not have 1930 and 1850 indexed, though all years are available to brouse. Ancestry has more every-name indexes and a soundex search, useful at times.

I have gotten a few valuable items from Ancestry non-census data bases, but not many. It is frustrating & annoying when they claim lots of hits, but it turns out most of them are not even in the locality you specified.

rnkiii
21 December 2005, 06:27 PM
I have had just the opposite results of the two previous posters.
Ancestry.com has been a GREAT resource for me and my wife in our searches.
AND they have not once contacted me about payment outside of the annual time frame of our subscriptions. We have been members for 2 years now and I'm certain we will continue for some time to come.

Granted, learning to properly use and read the searches was 'interesting' at first, but has now become easier, quicker, and more accurate. And they keep adding more databases of information all the time.

I have used the LDS libraries/Family History Center and Genealogy.com but have found Ancestry.com to be easier and offer more information.

Just my $.02...

Best of luck in your searches.

Bob K. rnkiii

bpanozzo
21 December 2005, 07:03 PM
I've been debating joining a genealogy group like ancestry.com. Do people here have any recommendations?I have been with Ancestry for several years now. Frankly, I think it's a superb site. It is pricey, but I believe it offers tremendous value for the money. They have just started offering two plans for monthly payment that might make it a little easier. That's what I'm going to be switching to. I did have a small tiff with them after the first year when my checking account got socked without notification. I argued that it wouldn't kill them to send me an email before deducting the yearly subscription, since they seem able to email me every day for other things. Haven't had any complaints since then.

edohmann
21 December 2005, 07:11 PM
I've been debating joining a genealogy group like ancestry.com. Do people here have any recommendations?I have the US Records and Census subscriptions at ancestry.com and, although I think they're a bit pricey, I'm fairly satisfied with them. Their census indexing and records transcripts have a lot of errors, but it's a good starting point and it sure is convenient to be able to peruse things from home. The US Records collection is especially useful if you need access to Texas records - it's not as useful for other states. I also like their on-line WWI Draft Registration Cards & WWII Enlistment Records.

K McLaughlin
21 December 2005, 08:46 PM
I was just asked to renew my account with ancestry.com. They indicated that they were trying to "simplify" their pricing. The gimmick they are promoting now is more access to several data bases that I have found virtually useless in exchange for a hefty increase in fees. Since 99% of the time, I was searching census records, I said "no" to the hefty increase. Wil I miss their census data base? Yes, it contains search engines for all, or at least most. of the census years. While they may have the best search engine, I get access to the census records on Heritage Quest census and indexesfor some years through membership in a couple of genealogical societies, e.g., New York Genealogical and Biographic Society and New England Genealogical and Historical Society and get their excellent journals as well. Membership in both of these organizations is cheaper than Ancestry's subscription which includes the census data. The HQ indexes do not cover all of the years, but they do not cost half my arm either; and they are easy to scan on the screen. And their search engine for the years that searches are availabe are more flexible than Ancestry's are. While Ancestry's images have greatly improved lately, Heritage Quest has better download capacity for census page images.
Kathleen

jbkeene
22 December 2005, 08:29 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Godfrey Library so far. For $35 for a whole year you get access to Heritage Quest online including their census records and historical newspapers. I must admit that I use my Ancestry.com subscription more than I use Godfrey but there is about a factor of 10 difference in price also. Incidentally, I have no complaints about Ancestry.com. It is pricey but the convenience of having all those records available at home is enormous. However, it is available for free at the LDS FHCs, so if you have one near you, go there to access it.
Best wishes,
Jocelyn Keene

martha
23 December 2005, 03:18 AM
I've been debating joining a genealogy group like ancestry.com. Do people here have any recommendations?
Christina, I have heard a lot of complaints about Ancestry, although every time they open one of their databases for a trial sample, I use them. I am subscribed for $35 a year to the Godfrey Library in Connecticut,
http://www.godfrey.org/
even though I live in Israel. It is a fabulous buy - you can use Heritage's censuses, their digital pictures, I am told, are better and clearer than Ancestry's; Heritage Quest's Digital Books & PERSI; you can use the historical newspapers of Chicago, New York, Washington, DC and Los Angeles and later newspapers from nearly every state; and there is a lot more. Much of what they have is just a link to someone else's free database, but you might not have known it existed without having been linked to it. For me, the censuses and the historical newspapers are worth the price and then some!

Martha

jane in l.a.
23 December 2005, 08:42 PM
I've been debating joining a genealogy group like ancestry.com. Do people here have any recommendations?I use Heritage Quest for free -- all you need is a library card from most local libraries. I then go online to the library's website, login with my library card number, and I can access any of the library's services from home.

Check with libraries in your area to see which ones subscribe to Heritage Quest -- a lot of them subscribe to Ancestry, also, although you usually have to access that in the library.

Gildell
25 December 2005, 10:42 PM
I've been debating joining a genealogy group like ancestry.com. Do people here have any recommendations?For what it is worth, I have been a very satisfied Ancestry.com user for over 5 years now. Yes, I suppose that they might be considered "pricey" but I have been very happy with the access that I have gotten to information that I have needed.

If you are researching immigrant family lines for individuals who arrived in the US at the turn of the century, then the Ellis Island site is also invaluable.

Michael

Carolyn Patterson
30 December 2005, 10:09 AM
I am subscribed for $35 a year to the Godfrey Library in Connecticut,
http://www.godfrey.org/ ...Martha

I have just learned that the Godfrey Library will no longer make Heritage Quest available as part of its subscription service. Their direct access to Heritage Quest has been the main reason for my subscription. I hate the thought of having to haul my paperwork to a library where you have to wait for a computer with restricted time usage. This is a major step backwards and a great loss for someone like me who prefers to do computer research at home.

Carolyn Patterson
Linwood, NJ

dfilpus
30 December 2005, 10:43 AM
I have just learned that the Godfrey Library will no longer make Heritage Quest available as part of its subscription service. Their direct access to Heritage Quest has been the main reason for my subscription. I hate the thought of having to haul my paperwork to a library where you have to wait for a computer with restricted time usage. This is a major step backwards and a great loss for someone like me who prefers to do computer research at home.

Carolyn Patterson
Linwood, NJ

Check with your local library to see if you can access Heritage Quest online. I access it through the Chapel Hill Library web site by logging in with my library card number.

Olivia Culver
30 December 2005, 06:38 PM

Carolyn Patterson
Linwood, NJ

I too had subscribed to the Godfrey Library primarily for access to Heritage Quest. Current members will be able to access HQ until their membership is due for renewal. However, access to Heritage Quest is now being offered to members of NEHGS (New England Historic Genealogical Society). See their website: http://www.newenglandancestors.org/

Nancy Noel
30 December 2005, 06:39 PM
I have just learned that the Godfrey Library will no longer make Heritage Quest available as part of its subscription service. Their direct access to Heritage Quest has been the main reason for my subscription. I hate the thought of having to haul my paperwork to a library where you have to wait for a computer with restricted time usage. This is a major step backwards and a great loss for someone like me who prefers to do computer research at home.Carolyn;
Our local public library allows us to access Heritage Quest online from our home computers, simply by typing in the barcode number on the back of our library cards. You may have the same ability throught your local library, if your library cards have bar codes. It's definitely worth a phone call to your library.
Nancy

SHewlett
30 December 2005, 11:56 PM

Several genealogical societies offer Heritage Quest access as a membership benefit. Three that come to mind are: Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania www.genpa.org; New England Historic Genealogical Society www.newenglandancestors.org; and New York Genealogical and Biographical Society www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org.

Sandra M. Hewlett, CG
Wayne, PA

Carolyn Patterson
31 December 2005, 10:15 AM
Several genealogical societies offer Heritage Quest access as a membership benefit. Three that come to mind are: Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania www.genpa.org; New England Historic Genealogical Society www.newenglandancestors.org; and New York Genealogical and Biographical Society www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org.
Sandra,
Thank you so much for this information. Since our local libraries don

Janice Roden
31 December 2005, 03:06 PM

Carolyn Patterson
Linwood, NJ

Dallas, Texas Library system has assess to this data base. I don't know how much it would cost you but you might want to check it out.

Regards,

Janice in Dallas

lauraf13
31 December 2005, 10:30 PM
Dallas, Texas Library system has assess to this data base. I don't know how much it would cost you but you might want to check it out.Janice,

I wasn't aware that the Dallas library had access. I have never been able to find it on their website. Could you provide more information on how to access it from the DPL website?

Thanks,
Laura in Dallas

MabryBenson
03 January 2006, 06:37 PM
The California Genealogical Society also offers Heritage Quest with membership which is only $35 for an individual.
See their page at <http://www.calgensoc.org>

S. Kennedy
13 January 2006, 07:40 PM
The California Genealogical Society also offers Heritage Quest with membership which is only $35 for an individual.
See their page at <http://www.calgensoc.org>

I'm sure many others have received a letter from the Godfrey Library that contains the following:

"As you may know, Godfrey Memorial Library (G.M.L.) is unable to provide
access to the Heritage Quest material. This decision was made by Heritage
Quest, not Godfrey Memorial Library. They would not extend the contract at
any price. "

To me, this raises a serious concern that Heritage Quest may be doing the same with other libraries that offer on line membership for a fee.

Godfrey is providing a list of public libraries that offer the HQ service to members. Here in WV the only library on the list is in Cabell County, which doesn't help me at all.
I would like to know just what Heritage Quest is up to since it would be useless to pay for another on line service if they are going to continue this action. Did Godfrey do something to upset Heritage Quest or is this just Heritage Quest taking another direction with the use of their service in an effort to further Ancestry membership?