PDA

View Full Version : ragtime solo

antoon deryckere
15 December 2005, 04:06 PM
I intend to publish (on paper) my family history
I few days ago I asked on this forum what might be for me a good lay out programme allowing a more attractive (total) look than the available reports (including lots of pictures,testimonies,,etc
One of the members of "reunion talk" suggested to use "ragtime solo".I am very grateful .This suggestion is wonderful what flexibility is concerned.
But I have a problem.When I create a report in "reunion" I can tell the programme what word processor to use .In my case "reunion" offers two possibilities : "word " or "other".
Using "other" you are guided via a popup to your applications to tell him what to use.
Well it doesn't accept or recognize "ragtime solo".Is that possible?
There are of course ways to circumvent the problem.But did any of you experience that before?
regards
antoon deryckere

joeswann
15 December 2005, 05:11 PM
You may have to save your report as an RTF and import that into RagTime Solo.

Troy
16 December 2005, 09:59 AM
Hi---

Pardon me for jumping in on this thread, but need some help with Ragtime Solo.

I have just started working with Ragtime Solo and it imports the rtf files just fine and seems to retain the "style" of the reports intact.

A question for the Ragtime Solo experts so I can "try" to make a family book; namely, I can make the index and table of contents okay, but cannot figure out how to get them into the main document.

Thanks.

Troy---

S. Kennedy
16 December 2005, 04:07 PM

I have just started working with Ragtime Solo and it imports the rtf files just fine and seems to retain the "style" of the reports intact.

A question for the Ragtime Solo experts so I can "try" to make a family book; namely, I can make the index and table of contents okay, but cannot figure out how to get them into the main document.Troy,

This is really a bit off the Reunion based topics normally desired and any detailed coverage might best be handled off list. I am not a Ragtime expert and only use the program for a few special uses, mostly as a Word substitute since my version of Word is Classic only. Ragtime is really an office suite all in one and the layout functions have a difficult learning curve. It uses master layouts and layouts to format the pages and the pages may contain any number of containers for various sorts of information. Generally, you can create a container anywhere and paste any info you want into the container. It took me days to figure out a simple thing like numbering pages automatically and many things are much more comples. That said, once you learn how, the program is very powerful. I would encourage a good look at their tutor files.

S. Kennedy

Kathleen Larson
16 December 2005, 06:42 PM
Ragtime is really an office suite all in one and the layout functions have a difficult learning curve. It uses master layouts and layouts to format the pages and the pages may contain any number of containers for various sorts of information. Generally, you can create a container anywhere and paste any info you want into the container. It took me days to figure out a simple thing like numbering pages automatically and many things are much more comples. That said, once you learn how, the program is very powerful. I would encourage a good look at their tutor files.

S. Kennedy

Hi Troy and S. Kennedy (and anybody else lurking about),

I've used RagTime Solo for a couple of years now, and I love it... but because my usage is on-again-off-again, I sometimes have to relearn certain commands (and I'm *really* rusty at the moment). :o I agree with S. Kennedy that it can be tricky to learn, but luckily another really good place to get help is through the RagTime user forum (http://www.comgrafix.com/ragtime/index.php)--lots of friendly help there like here at ReunionTalk. :) The archives from the old e-mail list would be good to check too (see "community" at http://www.ragtime-online.com/index.html).

Have fun with RagTime!
Kathy

Janet Mobley
17 December 2005, 10:47 PM
Hi---

A question for the Ragtime Solo experts so I can "try" to make a family book; namely, I can make the index and table of contents okay, but cannot figure out how to get them into the main document.

Thanks.

Troy---

I'd like to try Ragtime but first I want to change my preferred WP program from Appleworks to Word. How do I do that?

Also, I Ragtime a shareware or freeware program?

Janet

Kathleen Larson
17 December 2005, 11:13 PM
Also, I Ragtime a shareware or freeware program?

Janet

Hi Janet,

RagTime Solo is freeware--as long as your use of it is non-commercial.

Kathy

Troy
18 December 2005, 03:10 AM
Hi Troy and S. Kennedy (and anybody else lurking about),

I've used RagTime Solo for a couple of years now, and I love it... but because my usage is on-again-off-again, I sometimes have to relearn certain commands (and I'm *really* rusty at the moment). :o I agree with S. Kennedy that it can be tricky to learn, but luckily another really good place to get help is through the RagTime user forum (http://www.comgrafix.com/ragtime/index.php)--lots of friendly help there like here at ReunionTalk. :) The archives from the old e-mail list would be good to check too (see "community" at http://www.ragtime-online.com/index.html).

Have fun with RagTime!
Kathy

Kathy---

Thanks for the information; I will give the forums a try.

I agree that Ragtime Solo is very powerful and one needs to really take the time to learn it to make use of those features, but I just wish its help/reference part was a little more beginner-user-oriented. I am learning it slowly, pretty much by trial-and-error, mostly error < grin >.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Troy---

Michael
19 December 2005, 12:03 PM
I'd like to try Ragtime but first I want to change my preferred WP program from Appleworks to Word. How do I do that?Hi Janet,

Open your family file and choose Options -> Reports. You can change it under the "Word Processor" option.