PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts in FileMaker Pro 8

S. Craig
10 December 2005, 02:04 AM
Hello Listers,

I have recently bought FMP 8 and I really like the auto-fill option. Now I am looking for other ways to facilitate data input. I have 2 questions:

The first: Is there a way to save a 'sort' to be able to come back to it later. Example: First I sort my marriages in chronological order, then if I need to sort by last name to find a specific one, I can't go back to the first sort by date automatically, I always have to redo the sort. Is there a way to automatically save sorts? I remember in Appleworks' database, there was something on the screen to the left (tools?) and you simply had to click on it to choose which kind of search you wanted and bingo it was done.

The second: Is there a way when I am inputting, say, marriage years in a specific field in already-created records to be able to tab from the marriage year field of record 1 to 2 to 3 to 4...? I find it a nuisance to always have to remove my hand from the keyboard to click with the mouse. I am able to choose the order of my tabs within the same record but can't seem to switch between records, like in Excel. PS: I always use the table view.

Many thanks for any help,

Sherry

theKiwi
10 December 2005, 09:24 AM
Both of these things could be handled by ScriptMaker from the Script menu. Note that I haven't yet sprung for the $2500 I'd need to spend to upgrade from FileMaker Pro 7 Unlimited (which runs on one of my web servers) to FileMaker Pro 8 Advanced Server or whatever they call it, so can't give specifics, but in FileMaker 7 I'd do in general this.

For the first one, manually do the sort that you want, then go to the ScriptMaker, create a new script which has the step "Sort Records", then save it. It will now have the keyboard shortcut Command 1. This script now has remembered the sort criteria used and will invoke them any time you press Command 1.

For the second, use ScriptMaker to create a script which contains the instruction "Go to Record/Request/Page". Choose to go to Next Record from the pop up at the bottom. If this is the second script you've created, its shortcut will be Command-2, and it will transfer you to the same field in the next record.

Note - as I said I don't have FileMaker Pro 8, so this all might be wrong.

Roger

Bob White
10 December 2005, 08:41 PM
Both of these things could be handled by ScriptMaker from the Script menu. Note that I haven't yet sprung for the $2500 I'd need to spend to upgrade from FileMaker Pro 7 Unlimited (which runs on one of my web servers) to FileMaker Pro 8 Advanced Server or whatever they call it, so can't give specifics, but in FileMaker 7 I'd do in general this.

From FMP 7 Advanced to FMP 8 Server 8 Advanced has an upgrade price of $749. From FMP 6 Unlimited, it's the same price. I'm not sure whether you meant 6 or 7 since 7 doesn't have the Unlimited moniker. Either way, $749 should sound much nicer than $2499!

theKiwi
10 December 2005, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure whether you meant 6 or 7 since 7 doesn't have the Unlimited moniker. Either way, $749 should sound much nicer than $2499!

Ooops - yes I have FileMaker Pro 6 Unlimited, But apart from that I also have licenses for 10 client softwares - the minimum number FileMaker would let me buy when I bought all this a few years ago for our genealogy society to get a non-Profit Volume License from them. We don't use all 10, but are using probably 6 of them.

And thinking back now, my estimate of $2500 to upgrade might have been for 6 - 7.

But this page http://www.filemaker.com/purchase/store/pre-order8.html indicates the upgrade from FileMaker 6 Unlimited to FileMaker Server 8 Advanced (which I understand is what is needed to run a web site with no limits on access) is $1500.

In any case it's more than we can afford, and 6 runs fine on my Mac OS X machine for client use and 6 Unlimited runs fine on a Mac OS 9.2 machine (a PowerMac 7500 that has a 300 MHz G3 card in it) in my basement where it's been for more than 6 years now, so we won't be changing any time soon.

Roger

S. Craig
11 December 2005, 07:12 PM
For the first one, manually do the sort that you want, then go to the ScriptMaker, create a new script which has the step "Sort Records", then save it. It will now have the keyboard shortcut Command 1. This script now has remembered the sort criteria used and will invoke them any time you press Command 1.

For the second, use ScriptMaker to create a script which contains the instruction "Go to Record/Request/Page". Choose to go to Next Record from the pop up at the bottom. If this is the second script you've created, its shortcut will be Command-2, and it will transfer you to the same field in the next record.

Roger,

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

Works like a charm! I had never use ScriptMaker, figured it was for programmers and too complicated. Now I am going to go to town making Scripts.

Sherry

Tom Robinson
13 December 2005, 05:59 PM
The first: Is there a way to save a 'sort' to be able to come back to it later. Example: First I sort my marriages in chronological order, then if I need to sort by last name to find a specific one, I can't go back to the first sort by date automatically, I always have to redo the sort. Is there a way to automatically save sorts? I remember in Appleworks' database, there was something on the screen to the left (tools?) and you simply had to click on it to choose which kind of search you wanted and bingo it was done.

The second: Is there a way when I am inputting, say, marriage years in a specific field in already-created records to be able to tab from the marriage year field of record 1 to 2 to 3 to 4...? I find it a nuisance to always have to remove my hand from the keyboard to click with the mouse. I am able to choose the order of my tabs within the same record but can't seem to switch between records, like in Excel. PS: I always use the table view.
While scripts will solve these problems there's a simpler way:

1. If you go into Layout mode, Layout Setup, Views, Table View Properties, you can tell the table view to sort when you click on a column heading. A second click reverses the sort.

2. You can use ctrl up-arrow and ctrl down-arrow to move through the records (that's ctrl, not command/Apple). If you're in the marriage field on the first record and ctrl-down to the next record, the cursor will remain in the marriage field.

theKiwi
13 December 2005, 06:28 PM
While scripts will solve these problems there's a simpler way
Well you learn something new every day - particulary the Control Up/Down arrow thing!!!

Thanks Tom

Roger

S. Craig
15 December 2005, 01:58 AM
While scripts will solve these problems there's a simpler way:

1. If you go into Layout mode, Layout Setup, Table Setup, you can tell the table view to sort when you click on a column heading. A second click reverses the sort.

2. You can use ctrl up-arrow and ctrl down-arrow to move through the records (that's ctrl, not command/Apple). If you're in the marriage field on the first record and ctrl-down to the next record, the cursor will remain in the marriage field.

Hi Tom,

And some people learn two new things a day!

Sherry