PDA

View Full Version : Web Design Software

Kathleen Larson
09 March 2005, 09:51 PM
In yesterday's ReunionTalk Digest (the last "real" digest), Karl L. asked about creating a web site, possibly using MS FrontPage for Mac. He also asked what other tools are available.

I can't say for FrontPage, because I'm not familiar with it, but I use Freeway by SoftPress, and I'm very happy with it. It's "WYSIWYG" ("what you see is what you get"), and basically, you do a page layout, select the places where you want to put links, and Freeway writes all the html code for you. You can also tweak it with your own code.

http://www.softpress.com/en

It's available in several languages, too. (Although if you're using it in a language other than English, you might want to download the English-version of the user guides for backup if anything in the translation sounds odd.)

The site I made/take care of is for an historical society. It is based, with permission, on one of the tutorial projects that came with my original version (1.0!) of Freeway. There are no "bells and whistles" only because I purposely chose to keep the pages as simple as possible to make it easy for everybody to view. With Freeway, you can add all the bells and whistles you want, though, if you like.

Here's the site I made:
www.rootsweb.com/~inschs

Freeway has a "light" version (Freeway Express) and a "pro" version (Freeway Pro), as well as free trials of each.

Oh... if you do poke around "my" site, please forgive the different page sizes... I'm in the process of revamping the whole thing--widening the pages and increasing the size of the font in the navigation bar on the left. It looks kind of funny right now when you navigate from section to section. Although it's quick and easy to make the changes, I'm a real slowpoke, and just haven't finished it yet.:-o

Bill Wescott
10 March 2005, 01:10 AM
I have had a web page for many years and my originial home page was done the hard way, coding HTML by learning it. Well over the years I tried several different software packages to write HTML, the one that I currently use is DreamWeaver MX 2004.

The thing that I like about DreamWeaver is that I can edit all of the pages that Reunion creates when it makes a Web page, I like adding links to each page and it is very easy to do using this software. I have also used it to "map" a picture for other web sites that I have helped with.

I still feel that to get the most out of any program is to learn HTML basics, it really helps you understand the program much better

In yesterday's ReunionTalk Digest (the last "real" digest), Karl L. asked about creating a web site, possibly using MS FrontPage for Mac. He also asked what other tools are available.

I can't say for FrontPage, because I'm not familiar with it, but I use Freeway by SoftPress, and I'm very happy with it. It's "WYSIWYG" ("what you see is what you get"), and basically, you do a page layout, select the places where you want to put links, and Freeway writes all the html code for you. You can also tweak it with your own code.

http://www.softpress.com/en

It's available in several languages, too. (Although if you're using it in a language other than English, you might want to download the English-version of the user guides for backup if anything in the translation sounds odd.)

The site I made/take care of is for an historical society. It is based, with permission, on one of the tutorial projects that came with my original version (1.0!) of Freeway. There are no "bells and whistles" only because I purposely chose to keep the pages as simple as possible to make it easy for everybody to view. With Freeway, you can add all the bells and whistles you want, though, if you like.

Here's the site I made:
www.rootsweb.com/~inschs

Freeway has a "light" version (Freeway Express) and a "pro" version (Freeway Pro), as well as free trials of each.

Oh... if you do poke around "my" site, please forgive the different page sizes... I'm in the process of revamping the whole thing--widening the pages and increasing the size of the font in the navigation bar on the left. It looks kind of funny right now when you navigate from section to section. Although it's quick and easy to make the changes, I'm a real slowpoke, and just haven't finished it yet.:-o

dcosten
10 March 2005, 11:12 AM
I posted a response, but it didn't make it into the last digest to be sent out.

We had a guide on macgenealogy that was, well, very wordy, and ran something like 5-9 screens long (depending on resolution). I cleaned it up this past weekend, added a bit, and basically seperated everything out so it's easier to read.

This might help some people (it's geared towards beginners), and we welcome any and all critiques to help make it better :

http://www.macgenealogy.org/staticpages/index.php/familywebsite

It isn't just for Reunion, although it mentions Reunion. Depending on how far you want to take a genealogy website, it does include basic information on using the online genealogy applications like PhpGedView and The Next Generation of Genealogy Site Building (which can be run through a hosting provider or on a Mac with OS X installed).

FarmerBob
11 March 2005, 01:52 PM
Various Genealogy Web Sites and HTML Development Programs have been suggested. However, could someone explain if it is possible to integrate Reunion's Web Cards with the Genealogy Web Sites and/or HTML Development Programs?

FarmerBob
grfarmer@ix.netcom.com

dcosten
11 March 2005, 06:37 PM
Various Genealogy Web Sites and HTML Development Programs have been suggested. However, could someone explain if it is possible to integrate Reunion's Web Cards with the Genealogy Web Sites and/or HTML Development Programs?I would think it would have to be a custom solution. HTML is HTML - it's not going to care if something has genealogy data or is the latest information about a movie, so that's a tough one. You could take a portal-type system, and import Reunion's Web Cards into individual pages, but your right back to updating multiple individual files, and it would be time consuming.

You could always setup something like The Next Generation of Genealogy Site Building, or PhpGedView or phpMyFamily, and then just import the GEDCOM from Reunion, and use Reunion to track all of your changes offline, and then update the site once a week just with that GEDCOM file you generate weekly or whatever.

Bill Roberts
29 March 2005, 12:23 PM
...could someone explain if it is possible to integrate Reunion's Web Cards with the Genealogy Web Sites and/or HTML Development Programs?I can comment on the "HTML Development Programs" aspect.

My Web site is http://www.wcroberts.org/ The first item is "My Ancestors", which is the Reunion Web Family Card that I created.

I began developing the Web site several years ago with Claris Home Page (OS 9), a user friendly WSYISYG program. When I switched to OS X I moved up to BBEdit, a less friendly but versatile program with manual coding. I use RBrowserlite for uploading to my Web host.

When I created my Web Family Card, I similarly uploaded the entire folder. I edited my index.html document, which is the first thing a visitor sees when he goes to my site, to include a link to the Reunion table of contents.

From a HTML perspective, everything on index.html is part of an unordered list, <ul>, with separate lines, <li> and </li>. The phrase My Ancestors appears as a link because it is an anchor, <a> and </a>, that refers to the wc_toc.htm document within Report 054 Web Cards. (Spaces are identified as %20.) "My Ancestors" opens in a new browser window because I include target="_blank" in the anchor.

This is what the above HTML code looks like:

<ul><li><a href="Report%20054,%20Web%20Cards/wc_toc.htm" target="_blank">My Ancestors</a> (opens in a new window)</li>

You can see what the HTML code looks like for the entire index.html document in your Web browser. In mine, Camino, the command is View > View Page Source. If you are not familiar with HTML, it can be intimidating to see all that code!

So, in summary, integrating Reunion's Web cards involves (1) uploading the Reunion folder and all its contents, and (2) editing an existing Web document to point to wc_toc.htm.

Webspinner
03 March 2007, 10:04 AM
Hi Bob,

I'm trying to get my Reunion generated web card file (5 generations) up on rootsweb's freepages and succeeded using Fetch (my Claris Homepage under OS8.6 wouldn't connect for some reason); once up, I was told I had to name "the first file" as "index.html" in order for it to be picked up in the rootsweb freepages directory. My question is this: because of this directive by rootsweb, should I rename "wc_toc.htm" as "index.html?" This is the conclusion I've come to but wanted to bounce this off you.

I've no idea why my Claris Homepage v. 3 will not connect to rootsweb's server while Fetch will, but I'm just learning how to use Claris on an old Mac running 8.6 and capable of running 9.1 so wanted to do all my editing and uploading using Claris on that old Mac just for the fun of it. Any ideas how to tweak Claris into connecting to the ftp site at rootsweb? I could be entering the ftp address incorrectly of course.

Thanks for you help!

Bill H.

Gregg
03 March 2007, 10:17 AM
...because of this directive by rootsweb, should I rename "wc_toc.htm" as "index.html?"This might be the right thing to do, but keep in mind that renaming this page after Reunion creates the web project will break all the links back to this page.

The better thing to do is to name this page before the web project is created. To do this, choose Options -> Web -> Files and set the name of the contents page from there.

If everything has been uploaded already and you don't want to do this again, simply make a duplicate copy of the wc_toc.htm page and rename it to index.html.

MSS
24 April 2007, 04:40 AM
Similar topic but slightly different - has anyone found an easy way to integrate or publish Reunion's webcards directly into .Mac, using either Apple's iWeb software or perhaps Karelia's Sandvox software?

I don't have the time to learn how to edit HTML or CSS either so the easiest method is preferred.

Grampa Mike
24 April 2007, 12:42 PM
I've had good luck with RapidWeaver.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/index.php

It is easy to use and inexpensive. On line support very good.

I host on my own mac, but RW can publish to outside sites.

Kim R
24 April 2007, 02:07 PM
Similar topic but slightly different - has anyone found an easy way to integrate or publish Reunion's webcards directly into .Mac, using either Apple's iWeb software or perhaps Karelia's Sandvox software?

I don't have the time to learn how to edit HTML or CSS either so the easiest method is preferred.

I used the post made by treetoad here (the second one) and it worked perfectly!
http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=1533&page=2&highlight=iweb

MSS
24 April 2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks Mike & Kim R for your input. I looked at RapidWeaver last year and will look at treetoad's post as well. Appreciate the input!