PDA

View Full Version : Sibling Naming

travisrick
30 November 2005, 07:26 PM
Can anyone tell me, in the old days how parents would name a child after relatives. Was the oldest child always named after a great grandfather,etc.etc.?

johnpritt
01 December 2005, 02:08 AM
What I have noticed in my 19th century Cumberland (England) family is that there is no fixed pattern, but certain tendencies. Very often, the first male child is named after the paternal grandfather and the first female child after the maternal grandmother. The mother's family name is often given as a first or second forename to (some of) the male children (and occassionally to the females). The parent's names also crop up somewhere too.

My father, for example, is names Harold Reeves PRITT -- Reeves being the family name of his mother. Harold seems to have been a "free" choice.

Some families seem to have more or less respected the tradition (so there are many John Pritt names in my tree). Perhaps the just lacked inspiration! Other familes seemed to have been more "imaginative" with names that do not appear elsewhere in the tree.

In my Belgian (catholic) family, the trend is for the children to be named after their God-parents, with other traditional names thrown in for good measure (patron saints, regional heroes, etc).

I ended up with a name that coincidentally mixes the two traditions: my God-parents were Jeanne and Jacques, which when made into male equivalents became Jean-Jacques. Since I was born in England, my parent ahd the foresight to realise that calling a male chile "Jean" was probably not the best idea, so they anglicised it to John. By a happy coincidence, on my fatehr's side, my grandfather was also John, and my great-grandfather James (i.e. the English equivalent of Jacques).

martha
02 December 2005, 04:26 AM
Can anyone tell me, in the old days how parents would name a child after relatives. Was the oldest child always named after a great grandfather,etc.etc.?

Your question is too broad. It would depend on the ethnic/religious traditions of your family. There are definite traditional naming patterns in Jewish families, for instance, but they wouldn't apply to other groups.

Martha [in Israel]

jannabeth
03 December 2005, 11:56 PM
I think this page http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/Naming.Patterns.html talks about the naming patterns you're referring to. My family didn't seem to follow these patterns, but maybe yours did!

Janna

Janna Carriker Lawrence
San Antonio, TX

graemar
21 January 2006, 07:28 PM

I do not know about other cultures but the traditional Scottish naming convention was as follows -

1st born son - Father's father
2nd born son - Mother's father
3rd born son - Father
4th born son - Father's eldest brother
5th born son - Father's 2nd oldest brother or Mother's oldest brother

1st born daughter - Mother's mother
2nd born daughter - Father's mother
3rd born daughter - Mother
4th born daughter - Mother's eldest sister
5th born daughter - Mother's 2nd oldest sister or Father's eldest sister