PDA

View Full Version : Reunion for Palm (505 if possible)

Jay Kay
23 November 2005, 08:25 PM
Is there a version of Reunion which would work on an old Palm m505? I have recently acquired one of these, and would like to carry around my family history basic data when going to record offices - but not carry the computer!

I was told it was possible to do a gedcom into a palm version of such a program, but would prefer to use Reunion as I know the program better.

Jay

dcosten
26 November 2005, 11:29 PM
Is there a version of Reunion which would work on an old Palm m505? I have recently acquired one of these, and would like to carry around my family history basic data when going to record offices - but not carry the computer!

I was told it was possible to do a gedcom into a palm version of such a program, but would prefer to use Reunion as I know the program better.
There is not a version of Reunion available for Palm or PocketPC.

You can check http://www.mobilegenealogy.com/ for information on genealogy software for PDAs, but since you are on a Mac, I'll go ahead and give you the quick rundown:

Only "My Roots" and GedWise have full Mac support. As a matter of fact, GedWise for Mac OS X was released at the beginning of this week (this is the first release)

Now of course, if you have access to a PC or are running some kind of Windows emulator, then your options open up, but "My Roots" and Gedwise are both well supported (Gedwise even has a Linux installer).

The Mac installer for GedWise is on this page: http://www.batteryparksoftware.com/download.htm (the front page shows only GedWise 6.1 for Windows at this point).

Bob White
17 December 2005, 12:25 AM

You can check http://www.mobilegenealogy.com/ for information on genealogy software for PDAs, but since you are on a Mac, I'll go ahead and give you the quick rundown:

Only "My Roots" and GedWise have full Mac support. As a matter of fact, GedWise for Mac OS X was released at the beginning of this week (this is the first release)

Now of course, if you have access to a PC or are running some kind of Windows emulator, then your options open up, but "My Roots" and Gedwise are both well supported (Gedwise even has a Linux installer).

The Mac installer for GedWise is on this page: http://www.batteryparksoftware.com/download.htm (the front page shows only GedWise 6.1 for Windows at this point).

After reading this last week, I downloaded the installer. I found that it wouldn't properly install for those of us who use Missing Synch instead of the "stock" Palm synch stuff. During the past week, I have been going back and forth with the programmer, testing three versions, and success has been achieved.

If you are using Missing Synch, download the latest version (as of 12/15/05). After installing Gedwise, check the version with the About command to make sure you have version 6.3.2.0021. Process your GEDCOM file with Gedwise. You will get two error messages which you can just say OK to the first and No to the second. A new .pdb file will appear wherever you chose to save it to. Open Missing Synch's Install window and manually drag the .pdb file into the Install list. Do a hot synch.

This workaround is necessary because Gedwise currently is unable to connect with Palm's user name file. Once the programmer figures this out, the workaround will probably go away.

I have been using MyRoots for several years and now have both applications on my Palm. I am quite impressed with the speed of Gedwise.

David Foster
17 December 2005, 01:06 PM
Like you, Bob, I am quite impressed with GedWise. I have been using it for about 3 weeks now and find that the program is very well written, the user interface is logical, organized and easy to use & navigate. The technical support, as you would probably agree, is very dedicated and responsive to users. I believe this application (suite) will earn the same level of loyalty that most users have for Reunion.

Research trips to the library or local FHC are more productive now, as I can carry my data with me

Bob White
20 December 2005, 02:45 PM
Now that I've had time to play with it, I am even more impressed. The only thing about the design that could be done better is the Notes. I finally realized that when one switches to the Events view that one of the items listed is Notes. Then tapping that went to an intermediate screen that had a Note button to be tapped, then I finally saw my notes for that person! Oh, well, like I always say --- ain't any such thing as a perfect product!

Roger Engle
20 December 2005, 08:32 PM

I am always interested in new (to me) software so I went to GedWise, downloaded, installed, saved my Reunion file to ged and synced to my Palm 515. Everything was smooth BUT the 30 day free trial the GedWise gives you includes constant harassment. Every other mouse click brought up a window telling me that I had not registered yet. What a surprise. I had only had the software a half hour. This is the worst piece of nag-ware that I have ever run into. I could not stand to be in this environment so I dumped GedWise ASAP. I did not check to see if it had sync or if you could write to the Palm DB or .....

I have used a PAF version for the Palm for several years. It works fine, is free but has two big drawbacks.

One, it is read only. You cannot make notes to the Palm DB, so syncing is out of the question. It is like have your genealogy book in your pocket when you are at an obit card file in a strange library. Nice, but you need paper to make notes.

Two, the sneaker method of updating the genealogy file is time consuming. I need to save Reunion as a ged. Save to disk. Carry the disk into the back closet where I keep an old pc chained in the corner. Fire up that primitive WinWorld. Open PAF in Windows. Import the ged from my disk to a new file. Export the file to PAF for Palm OS. Save that to disk. Run back into the light to the Mac. Copy the .pdb file from disk to the Palm import folder... So you need PAF, PAF for Palm and a PC. The first two were free online and I picked up an old pc from a friend who wanted to toss it in the trash.

PAF for Win is at www.familysearch.com and I found PAF for Palm at an Arizona Users Group. I have lost the address but you could Google it.

However, I would happily pony up $20 or so to get a Reunion on the Palm that used my Reunion file whether it was read only or not.

Roger Engle

Bob White
22 December 2005, 01:37 AM
Roger: Gedwise is also one way. It is a viewer. One cannot add data. However, that works fine for me. Even though it is two-way, I have never used MyRoots to input data either. When I expect to do research, my laptop gets slung over my shoulder. But I like have the data on my Palm for those many occasions when Aunt Susie wonders when Great Uncle Joe and his dear Esther got married.