PDA

View Full Version : Save Print Preview as File

John Dougherty
15 November 2005, 11:42 AM
I want to save a print preview, say a "Family Group Sheet", as a file for later export (memory stick) and print to a high quality color printer on a non-mac machine on a separate network.

If I use Destination (when creating): Word, RTF, text, etc., I don't get the same aesthetic WYSIWYG results as print preview gives me (esp. everything on 1 page, incl pictures).

How can I save these create artifacts from print preview to a file for later printing?

ttl
15 November 2005, 12:59 PM
This is a question with a happy ending, I think. If you're using OS X, just select Printer as the destination. Then a print dialog window will open and you can choose PDF to save the file as a PDF file.

John Dougherty
15 November 2005, 04:00 PM
This is a question with a happy ending, I think. If you're using OS X, just select Printer as the destination. Then a print dialog window will open and you can choose PDF to save the file as a PDF file.

Tim, you are the man! It worked like a charm. I just didn't go far enough to get to the make it ot the make pdf screen. I love OS X.

Thanks

Bob White
10 December 2005, 08:50 PM
Once more beautiful thing about this. As long as you remember to include the ".pdf" ending in your filename, you can share this with your Windoze brethern.

idfitter
11 December 2005, 05:07 AM
Saving any print preview output as a PDF is one of the most powerful and useful features of OS X, especially when windows users need to shell out 150 quid (~260 USD) for Adobe Acrobat to do the same.

I find it curious that so many OS X users are unaware of this feature. Obviously Apple need to do more to get the message across.

As well as 'Save as PDF', you have seven other options including 'Email PDF' and 'Fax PDF'. The most useful one I find is 'Save PDF to Web Receipts Folder' which quickly saves a web page to a PDF in the same location. Great for capturing a copy of an online shopping receipt.

Urs Geiser
11 December 2005, 02:07 PM
Saving any print preview output as a PDF is one of the most powerful and useful features of OS X, especially when windows users need to shell out 150 quid (~260 USD) for Adobe Acrobat to do the same.
To be fair, it should be pointed out that Adobe Acrobat can do much more than just create a PDF file from another application's print job: It can do a fair amount of manipulation with PDFs, such as combining, splitting, touching up, annotating, creating fill-in forms, access restrictions, etc. As far as I know, there are freeware/shareware solutions for Windows with the limited PDF creation functionality that OS X operating system provides.