PDA

View Full Version : Two Marriages, Many Children

Kim
08 November 2005, 10:04 PM
I have an obit for a man with 2 wives and 11 children. I suspect 3 are step-children from his 2nd wife, since they have a different surname. However, of the remaining children, there is no indication to which marriage they were born. What is the best way to record this information in Reunion? I'm thinking I have 3 options.

1. List the children in a note. The problem here is that they are not indexed, so not easy to find if I come across clarifying info.

2. Guess...not really a good option right now.

3. Create 3 marriages, leaving the spouse 'blank' in the 3rd marriage, and putting all the children on this card. If I do this, and I later find out which child goes with which mother, will I then be able to link the child to that mother? How will I do that?

Thanks for your help!

Dennis J. Cunniff
08 November 2005, 11:14 PM
3. Create 3 marriages, leaving the spouse 'blank' in the 3rd marriage, and putting all the children on this card. If I do this, and I later find out which child goes with which mother, will I then be able to link the child to that mother? How will I do that?

I'd say this is the best alternative (although I usually would give the "blank" card a given name such as "unidentified mother"). Unfortunately in this case (if they are his step-children) you may be misidentifying the father, but you can place a note to that effect on each child card.

You will have no difficulty moving a child from one family to another. The easiest way to do it is to drag the child button to the clipboard, navigate to the marriage you want the child to be in, open the clipboard, and drag the child from the clipboard to the new marriage carrd.

Kim
09 November 2005, 02:28 PM
You will have no difficulty moving a child from one family to another. The easiest way to do it is to drag the child button to the clipboard, navigate to the marriage you want the child to be in, open the clipboard, and drag the child from the clipboard to the new marriage carrd.

Thanks. Moving the child seems pretty straightforward now that you've explained it. Here's hoping I identify the correct mother one of these days and get a chance to use it!

George
09 November 2005, 07:31 PM
Of course, when you have the dates of the two marriages and the birthdates of the children, the solution is straightforward.
George

Dennis J. Cunniff
10 November 2005, 05:41 AM
Of course, when you have the dates of the two marriages and the birthdates of the children, the solution is straightforward.
George

Well....usually. But not always :)

Agnes E. Cloninger
10 November 2005, 07:33 PM
George

Seems to me one would also need to know the death date for wife #1, marriage dates are not necessarily indicative of the beginning of a pregnancy....