PDA

View Full Version : Event fields in Views

Bill Keene
08 November 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi folks

I've got a question thats been frustrating me for a while now...

One thing I like to do is track how individuals and families have moved around. To this end I've included (for some individuals) quite a number of Residence Events which give where they are living at certain times in their lives. I'd like to create a View which shows all this Residence information, but have found when creating a View with several Residence fields only the first one ever shows. I also have multiple Census Events for individuals and the same thing happens there too.

Does anyone know if there is a way to show information on the second and subsequent Event fields in a View? The only thing I can think of is to create multiple unique Residence fields (i.e. Residence2, Residence3, etc) but this would be a major undertaking.

Deb
09 November 2005, 11:50 AM
...I'd like to create a View which shows all this Residence information, but have found when creating a View with several Residence fields only the first one ever shows. I also have multiple Census Events for individuals and the same thing happens there too...Does anyone know if there is a way to show information on the second and subsequent Event fields in a View?\Hi Bill,

Have you considered creating separate "Notes" fields, perhaps one called "Residences" and the other "Census Data," in which to store your information? Once the fields have been created, you would be able to move the data in your Residence and Census event fields to the appropriate notes field and display them both on your family card. (This is going on the presumption that there is room on your family card to add the two notes fields. If not, you may want to delete a couple fields from the view prior to adding these.)

If needed, information on how to define new fields, how to move data from one field to another and how to display those fields (or edit) the family card view can be found by searching your manual for "define field." (To access the manual from within your family file, choose Help -> Search the Manual, or click on the Manual button on the toolbar.) Then, in the search results list, simply click on the appropriate link to find the information desired.

(I.e. in my search results list, the first link was "Defining a New Field," the second link was "The Fields in a View," and the fifth link was "Moving a Field.")

Incidentally, since the process of moving data from one field to another will significantly change your family file, I would recommend (as your first step) that you open your family file and choose File -> Save a Copy and save it in your preferred storage location. That way, you have a back-up copy to use if this does not turn out the way you were hoping.

However, I hope it does work for you:-)

Bill Keene
11 November 2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks Deb

Thanks for the information, and this would certainly be an option for me. I think another would be to create a series of Event Fields (Residence1, Residence2, Census1, Census2, etc) and then I can create unique entries for each one and still list these all up in a View.

This is a big project though so I think I'll attack it when I get to one of those 'quiet' times. :)

Many thanks

Bill

jbkeene
11 November 2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks Deb

Thanks for the information, and this would certainly be an option for me. I think another would be to create a series of Event Fields (Residence1, Residence2, Census1, Census2, etc) and then I can create unique entries for each one and still list these all up in a View.

This is a big project though so I think I'll attack it when I get to one of those 'quiet' times. :)

Many thanks

Bill

Bill, This is exactly what I did when I realized that this problem existed. I now have fields called 1790 Census, 1800 Census... 1930 Census and 1851 Census, 1861 Census... 1901 Census for my American and British families respectively. I also have Residence1... Residence10. I set all the censuses up with the same gedcom tags (CENS) so that they can be exported and then read by another program if necessary. Same for the residences. This system works well, particularly for the census data. You can quickly see which censuses you are missing this way. I put just the address in the census event fields and then put transcriptions of the actual enumerators books into notes fields. If you name your event fields census1, census2... you end up having to rename your census events every time you find an earlier census record. Having a different fact field for every possible census is a nuisance but I find it better than the alternative of not having the census records print out in the family group sheets.
Jocelyn
P.S. I must admit it is a big project and I have made good progress in it for people that I have added recently but the people most closely related to me whom I typed into Reunion 7 years ago still have census event fields with a variety of names.

kyuck
12 November 2005, 12:15 AM
Bill, This is exactly what I did when I realized that this problem existed. I now have fields called 1790 Census, 1800 Census... 1930 Census and 1851 Census, 1861 Census... 1901 Census for my American and British families respectively.
One small refinement I am using is to call the event Census 1790, Census 1800, etc. so that all the Census events sort to the same location in the events list.

Bill Keene
12 November 2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys - good tip!

btownshend
30 November 2005, 07:50 PM
I have the same issue with censuses and it seems to me that having separately named fields is a work around... it still would be better to be able to use the same event type multiple times and have them show up in reports.

-Brent

Bill Keene
01 December 2005, 12:52 PM
I have the same issue with censuses and it seems to me that having separately named fields is a work around... it still would be better to be able to use the same event type multiple times and have them show up in reports.

-Brent
I agree. I wonder how possible this would be for the software design gurus at Reunion? I know some simple things can be quite hard to achieve.

MabryBenson
01 December 2005, 07:22 PM
I have defined a Note (not an Event) called Census. There I list all census data - year, location, people in household, etc. I prefer Notes, as Notes have essentially no limit to length, and I can be as wordy as I feel I need to be.

Troy
17 February 2007, 10:27 AM
I have defined a Note (not an Event) called Census. There I list all census data - year, location, people in household, etc. I prefer Notes, as Notes have essentially no limit to length, and I can be as wordy as I feel I need to be.

Mabry---

If you wouldn't mind amplifying on your method, I certainly would appreciate it since I think your method may be the best approach to use on my database. I don't care much for Reunion's Census event with memo field for the census detail method.

My main question is: Do you place all of the census data for that person in your Census Note and source each occurrence with a generic source tag like this?:
1790 U.S. Census---zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (source tag #yy)

1800 U.S. Census---wwwwwwwwww (source tag #ss)

Second Question: Do you also use Reunion's Census event (date & place) too?

Thanks for the help.

Troy---

David Moody
20 February 2007, 01:52 PM
Troy
I use the Free Form for all of my sources. Free Form allows an infinite variation in the information you might wish to record with the convenience of that source being usable for multiple individuals (and thus being able to create a list of individuals for whom that is a common source).

Troy
20 February 2007, 02:16 PM
Troy
I use the Free Form for all of my sources. Free Form allows an infinite variation in the information you might wish to record with the convenience of that source being usable for multiple individuals (and thus being able to create a list of individuals for whom that is a common source).

David---

Thanks for the suggestion; it looks it's a good one.

Troy---

MabryBenson
23 February 2007, 12:02 AM
I just keep adding censuses to the one Note. Below is an example. I don't use at all the Event Census. And I don't bother to source the various censuses, as all is given in what I have recorded.

1910 census: Maine, Penobscot County, Howland, dist 165, ed 165, sh 3b; Mrs Sarah Mooney 74 Wid, 10 ch 5 living, Ireland (Ireland, Ireland), James 43 Canada, John H 34, granddaughter Margaret J Wallace 24, grandson George Mooney 14 Maine.
1900 census: Maine, Penobscot County, Howland, dist 98 ed 98 sh 3a; James Mooney 6/1868 Canada came 1895 alien, mother Sarah 5/1834 wid 10 ch 6 liv Ireland came 1895, John H 2/1875 Canada came 1895, nephew George Mooney b 12/1895 Maine.
Sarah is not in the 1920 census, but her two sons James & John H are with Anna E Booker 42, possibly their sister. Their birth is listed as Prince Edward Island.
1881 census: Prince Edward Island, Prince Lot 3; Edward Moonay 60 Ireland, Sarah 50 PEI, Margaret 23, Sarah 21, James 19, Frances male 17, Annie 11, John 9.

Frank Mitchell
23 February 2007, 02:04 AM
Troy
We all have our own preferences, but I think the purpose of sources is to enable the information to be found again at a later date so that it can be checked by whoever is reading the file. I don't want an "infinite variation" in the information provided and risk confusing the reader.

All my citations are consistent with structured fields designed to give a reader (and me) just sufficient basic information to locate the original source. The Free Form area might contain a transcript of the information from the source or, if there is too much, where the transcript or a copy might be found in my own files. This is also the place for miscellaneous notes to myself about the source, such as who sent it to me. For this reason, I often check the Exclude from Endnotes box in the Free Form area. If I remember to 8^)

Whichever method one prefers the same source can still be used for multiple individuals.

linders
23 February 2007, 02:23 PM
I created a census note field and enter all census in this way:

Annie HAIT Wife M Female W 55 Housekeeping
Charles HAIT Son S Male W 21 Barber
Myron HAIT Son Male W 16
Emma HAIT Dau Female W 14
Souce Information:
Census Place Brookhave, Suffolk, New York
1880 Census

Bob White
23 February 2007, 11:53 PM
For consistency, all census information that I enter will have an appropriate statement in the Notes followed by Federal Census: Year: xxxx; Place: xxxxxxx; Roll: ###; Page: ###; District: ###; Image: ####. The statement would be something like Al Smith resided at xxxxxxx in 1910. I keep the item in my favorite clipboard manager iClip and just paste it in and quickly fill in the blanks.