PDA

View Full Version : combining old genealogy text in "reunion"

antoon deryckere
07 November 2005, 12:00 PM
hello
I am a starter with "reunion" and need your help for not doing wrong from the beginning in an attempt to publish
I have written my family genealogy 30 yours ago.This info (sometimes outdated) is in my Mac in more than 40 files(.doc)
Now I use " reunion"and introduced succesfully all the available data.
Well I would like to (re)publish it but attractively (photographs etc) and updated with the aid of reunion.
questions:
1/How do I combine with a maximum of flexibility my files into "reunion" and make them ready for printing
2/how should the whole be saved for a future supplementary copy

better ask before those who know.Thanks for yr advice

Deb
18 November 2005, 04:35 PM
...I have written my family genealogy 30 yours ago.This info (sometimes outdated) is in my Mac in more than 40 files(.doc) Now I use " reunion"and introduced succesfully all the available data. Well I would like to (re)publish it but attractively (photographs etc) and updated with the aid of reunion...1/How do I combine with a maximum of flexibility my files into "reunion" and make them ready for printing Hi Antoon,

I would recommend experimenting with all the different reports that can be created by Reunion. (Incidentally, many of our users have published their genealogy using the more narrative reports, such as the Register and/or Ahnentafel reports.) However, you may prefer to use the Family History Report. In any case, select the report(s) that most fit your needs.

Information about each of the reports can be found in your manual. To access it from within your family file, choose Help -> Search the Manual (or click on the Manual button on the toolbar) and search for "what report." You'll notice the search results will list each of the reports and explain what it is, if it includes decendants or ancestors, etc.

Also, going on the presumption that you have pictures linked to people in your family file and all the data from your old report has been entered, be sure to adjust the report's settings and layout so all pertinent data and a preferred picture for each person can be included in your report(s).

Information on how to include preferred pictures and how to adjust the report's layout settings can be found in your manual by searching for "preferred picture" and "report layout," respectively.

Then, once the reports have been created and are open in your word processor, you may edit them as you see fit. (I.e. add additional pictures or other graphic files, move data around, etc.)

2/how should the whole be saved for a future supplementary copyIt's probably a good idea to save the final copy of your report in a couple different file formats (such as RTF or PDF, for editing or viewing later) and on different types of media (such as on a CD-R or a second hard drive). In addition, it never hurts to save the back-ups in a couple different locations (such as keeping one at home and giving one to a member of the family). Also, be sure to remember "hard copy" back-ups of the finished report and regular back-ups of your Reunion family file;-)

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Perhaps other users can offer some tips based on their experiences:-)

antoon deryckere
13 December 2005, 05:48 AM
hi
1/
many thanks for your answers and suggestions
But why as you suggest save in different formats. As I usually work with ".doc files" from "word" (to be honest the only thing I more or less know) what are the advantages of working with RTF,PDF formats?(as you say : for editing and viewing later)?
Am I handicapped only with ".doc files"?What can you do more (or better)with the other formats?

2/ I have another question concerning photographs in reports
I have photographs linked (via multimedia) to persons.It works perfectly
But I have also photographs linked to the family.I don't know how to get them in my report

thanks
antoon

Deb
13 December 2005, 06:01 PM
...why as you suggest save in different formats. As I usually work with ".doc files" from "word" (to be honest the only thing I more or less know) what are the advantages of working with RTF,PDF formats?(as you say : for editing and viewing later)?...Am I handicapped only with ".doc files"?What can you do more (or better)with the other formats?Hi Antoon,

Diversity can be a good thing. I didn't mean to suggest that saving your work as a ".doc" file was a handicap. It's not, as long as you are able to open and edit the file later on.

My only reason for suggesting saving a file in a couple different file formats has to do with sharing and/or preserving the life of a file on down the road. Perhaps, a relative will want to open your file with a program that does not recognize ".doc" files. I suspect most current word processors or text editors will open a ".doc" file now and still maintain the file formatting. But, we don't know what the future holds. Therefore, when it comes to preserving your genealogy information, it never hurts to play it safe:-)

I have another question concerning photographs in reports
I have photographs linked (via multimedia) to persons.It works perfectly
But I have also photographs linked to the family.I don't know how to get them in my reportI'm sorry, a picture linked in the "Family" tab of the Multimedia window cannot be selected (as a Preferred Picture) to appear in reports. However, as an alternative, you may want to re-link those pictures to one or more of the "individuals" appearing in the picture.

Another option would be to manually insert the family picture(s) of your choice after opening the report in your word processor. Perhaps this would be a workable solution for you:-)

Steve W. Jackson
13 December 2005, 07:29 PM
... I suspect most current word processors or text editors will open a ".doc" file now and still maintain the file formatting...Actually, I'm not aware of a single word processor except Word itself that can ensure it will maintain any and all formatting found in a ".doc" file. Many can open one, but most will lose some portion of the formatting.

= Steve =

S. Kennedy
13 December 2005, 09:51 PM
Actually, I'm not aware of a single word processor except Word itself that can ensure it will maintain any and all formatting found in a ".doc" file. Many can open one, but most will lose some portion of the formatting.Steve is quite right about this. I receive a number of very long and complex Word docs from PC users and it is difficult to get anything but Word for Mac to open them properly. I have heard that there are some problems even with Mac to PC Word if the document is very complex. My Word program is Ver 5 and so I have resorted to using Ragtime Solo. It is the best substitute I have found for opening these PC files. It's not perfect but does a very good job and free is hard to beat. It is basically a page layout program and would work well for publishing a book if the book is not commercial.

If you are distributing digital versions of your book, one significant advantage of PDF is that most home computers don't have the means to modify your text. A word processor file may be changed easily, either accidently or on purpose sometimes and I would prefer that others not change my work.

S. Kennedy