PDA

View Full Version : Using a DVD as backup

martha
06 November 2005, 03:13 AM
I have a PowerBook G4 - OSX Tiger, which also has a DVD R-W. I was interested in backing up my reunion files, which are too big for a CD, but when I tried to put them onto the DVD, iDVD opened and I was unable to just drop them onto the disc. In fact, I could not figure out how to get them there. Can anyone help with how to transfer files onto a DVD? I have put everything I want to copy into a "burn folder" - but nothing I tried would make it burn!

Any geek-help would be greatly appreciated!

Martha Lev-Zion
Israel

Dennis J. Cunniff
06 November 2005, 04:06 AM
Have you tried right-clicking (or control-clicking, as the case may be) on the burn folder? You should see a contextual menu from which you can choose "Burn disc". It will prompt you to insert a disc.

SVass
07 November 2005, 06:37 PM
I have a PowerBook G4 - OSX Tiger, which also has a DVD R-W. I was interested in backing up my reunion files, which are too big for a CD, but when I tried to put them onto the DVD, iDVD opened and I was unable to just drop them onto the disc. In fact, I could not figure out how to get them there. Can anyone help with how to transfer files onto a DVD? I have put everything I want to copy into a "burn folder" - but nothing I tried would make it burn!
Martha Lev-Zion
Israel
Martha, normally, what I do is insert the blank dvd and then drop the users/my folder onto the dvd. (Actually, I copy said folder first and drop the copy on the dvd instead which works around a bug in Panther.) Then when I throw the dvd in the trash, it asks if I want to eject or burn and I select burn.

Under System Preferences/Hardware/CDs & DVDs, there are choices of what to do when a blank dvd is inserted. Select ask what to do as I assume that you have made another choice. sam

martha
08 November 2005, 02:33 AM
Martha, normally, what I do is insert the blank dvd and then drop the users/my folder onto the dvd. (Actually, I copy said folder first and drop the copy on the dvd instead which works around a bug in Panther.) Then when I throw the dvd in the trash, it asks if I want to eject or burn and I select burn.

Under System Preferences/Hardware/CDs & DVDs, there are choices of what to do when a blank dvd is inserted. Select ask what to do as I assume that you have made another choice. sam

Thank you, Sam!! My error was that iDVD was selected to open when a DVD disc was inserted. By deselecting that, when I double clicked on "burn" from my "burn folder," I was asked to insert a disc and everything went smoothly afterwards, I was surprised to see!

Thank you, too, Dennis, for trying to help!

Martha