PDA

View Full Version : Can children follow relinked person?

Muriel A
05 November 2005, 08:01 PM
I had a man I'll call JF under the wrong parents. I followed the manual's instructions and put him on the clipboard, navigated to his correct parents and put him among the children on that card. How do I make his wives and children follow him along? His second wife came with, but his first wife and children stayed put, with a blank half of a card where JF had been. He had a lot of children. Do I have to relink each child individually, or is there an easier way? I relinked him to his first wife, and now she has 2 marriages, one to JF with no information, and one labeled None that has their marriage info and all the kids. Match and Merge doesn't work. I thought I'd ask for help before burying myself any deeper. Thanks!

Dennis J. Cunniff
06 November 2005, 04:04 AM
Both marriages should have "followed" JF: maybe you dragged his marriage button to the clipboard instead of dragging JF himself?

In any case, if you add a "duplicate" JF to the 2nd marriage, and match & merge "JF" to "JF", you'll fix matters. (You could also fix it by dragging the children to the clipboard, switching to the marriage with JF already in it, dragging the children from the clipboard to the marriage with two parents already, and then dragging the marriage with only one parent (and now no children) to the clipboard and emptying it. Though the first approach may be better until you practice dragging things to the clipboard a bit<g>!).

Muriel A
07 November 2005, 05:34 PM
Both marriages should have "followed" JF: maybe you dragged his marriage button to the clipboard instead of dragging JF himself?

I thought I had dragged HIM, and was surprised to find him separated from his family! I had dragged people in and out of the clipboard before, but had not had this problem.

In any case, if you add a "duplicate" JF to the 2nd marriage, and match & merge "JF" to "JF", you'll fix matters.

That's what I ended up doing after thinking about it! Everything's fine now; I just didn't want to drag all 9 children and 2 wives individually!
Anyway, thank you so much for your help!

Muriel

Peter Cook
08 November 2005, 12:43 PM
I relinked him to his first wife, and now she has 2 marriages, one to JF with no information, and one labeled None that has their marriage info and all the kids.

Muriel

While I note that you have sorted everything by 'match and merge' as suggested by Dennis, for future reference if this happens again, the key is to link from the person with the marriage data but blank spouse, to the spouse i.e. in your example from the first wife to JF.
For your original problem, I would have done as follows: "Edit Spouses" - select the link with no info and "Remove link"; then relink in the correct direction.

Peter

Muriel A
06 December 2005, 02:36 PM
Muriel

While I note that you have sorted everything by 'match and merge' as suggested by Dennis, for future reference if this happens again, the key is to link from the person with the marriage data but blank spouse, to the spouse i.e. in your example from the first wife to JF.
For your original problem, I would have done as follows: "Edit Spouses" - select the link with no info and "Remove link"; then relink in the correct direction.

Peter

I have made a note of that for next time. Thanks, Peter!