PDA

View Full Version : exporting Reunion to a relational database

jordandm
09 March 2005, 04:01 PM
For purposes of publication (on paper) it seems that merely printing the Index display is inadequate because, for example, it will only show the preferred spouse. Has anyone exported Reunion's data to a file where all spouses, marriage dates, etc. may be provided for each individual?

pheski
09 March 2005, 08:39 PM
...snip... Has anyone exported Reunion's data to a file where all spouses, marriage dates, etc. may be provided for each individual?

I would love to hear if anyone has ported to Filemaker to allow me to do comparisons, searches, etc in that format?

S. Kennedy
09 March 2005, 09:51 PM
For purposes of publication (on paper) it seems that merely printing the Index display is inadequate because, for example, it will only show the preferred spouse. Has anyone exported Reunion's data to a file where all spouses, marriage dates, etc. may be provided for each individual?

I have only taken a quick look but I believe you can do what you want, however the spouses and dates require some calculations after the records are imported to FM. Use the export text and select the fields you want to import to FM. Only the first spouse can be directly imported but by using a script for all the records showing mutiple spouses I believe it would be possible to add the names of the other spouses to separate fields in each record. All spouses are imported to the "name field" so they are all available in the file and are cross referenced through the "spouse field". I haven't actually developed a script to make this work. It's possible that using a calculation field would be easier.

jselover
09 March 2005, 11:35 PM
I would love to hear if anyone has ported to Filemaker to allow me to do comparisons, searches, etc in that format?
This evening I experimented and was able to successfully export a selected group of individuals to a File Maker file. I'm thinking about a surname project and believe that Filemaker will facilitate the process.
Jim Selover

fjvanbodegom
10 March 2005, 03:52 AM
Might be I do not understand your question correct.
But ... Find AnyThing -> Couples -> Attributes -> #of Spouses NotEqual 0
In the Found list ANY person with a marriage is mentioned.
A person who married twice, is mentioned twice etc.
Make your choices in the next columns (blue arrows), fieldnames, total of columm etc. and make a report with tabs.
You can import this in any database or spreadsheet and play with all the extra possibilities of a database.

Frans van Bodegom

Dick Pierce
10 March 2005, 12:06 PM

TNG or The Next Generation is a PHP based software application that uses MySQL as a relational database. By exporting a gedcom file from Reunion and processing it with code in TNG it will load MySQL with all the data in the gedcom.

This application can be seen at:
http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php

S. Kennedy
12 March 2005, 09:15 PM
Might be I do not understand your question correct.
But ... Find AnyThing -> Couples -> Attributes -> #of Spouses NotEqual 0
In the Found list ANY person with a marriage is mentioned.
A person who married twice, is mentioned twice etc.
Make your choices in the next columns (blue arrows), fieldnames, total of columm etc. and make a report with tabs.
You can import this in any database or spreadsheet and play with all the extra possibilities of a database.

Frans van Bodegom

I followed the above example and the results don't seem to make any sense. In my file I get 293 couples with 2 spouses even thoough there are only 28 individuals in my file with 2 spouses.
As an example, I have one individual that comes up with 2 spouses when the above procedure is followed but in the index he is listed with one spouse. Actually he has never been married but has a child. This couple is listed as unmarried on the family card. Am I missing something here?

S. Kennedy

fjvanbodegom
14 March 2005, 08:21 AM
I followed the above example and the results don't seem to make any sense. In my file I get 293 couples with 2 spouses even thoough there are only 28 individuals in my file with 2 spouses.
As an example, I have one individual that comes up with 2 spouses when the above procedure is followed but in the index he is listed with one spouse. Actually he has never been married but has a child. This couple is listed as unmarried on the family card. Am I missing something here?

S. KennedyYes you are right, that is the wrong way because an individual (even he/she is not married) has a person and a family number.

So try this: Find AnyThing -> Couples ->Husbant's Name is not empty and Wife's Name is not empty.

Frans van Bodegom

Tom Robinson
18 March 2005, 03:41 PM
I regularly export my family file to FileMaker via GEDCOM.

I've written an AppleScript which reads the fields I'm interested in and populates a FileMaker database (which is used as an intermediary to other FileMaker databases).

You're welcome to a copy 'as is, where is'. E-mail me if interested.

Cheers

S. Kennedy
18 March 2005, 05:59 PM

I've written an AppleScript which reads the fields I'm interested in and populates a FileMaker database (which is used as an intermediary to other FileMaker databases).

Cheers

I have considered the AS route but I'm not very good at scripting. I would be interested in a copy of the AS.

I have been working to import my Reunion file directly to Filemaker and have been stymied by finding that the imported text file of individuals contains many errors. I don't have time or space to cover all of these but examples are that the name suffix field is wrong for most records and in most cases the total children doesn't match the sum of male, female and unknown. I have checked many of these errors in the reunion file and in all cases the Reunion file was correct. I also opened the tab delimited text file and found the same errors there so it appears that the Reunion export function is at fault.

What I am wondering is if anyone can confirm these errors with their files. I would appreciate any feedback here. I have repeated the export/import effort 4 times with the same results but maybe I am missing something.

BTW, importing to FMaker helped me to find some spouse errors in my Reunion file by sorting in the Spouse and name fields and looking for duplicates. This also led me to the problem with name suffixs. I had made a calculated field using the last name,first name and suffix to produce a full name field that would match the spouse name field. This caused the incorrect suffixs to really stand out as I could seldom match a spouse name field to an individual full name as calculated.

S. Kennedy

Tom Robinson
23 March 2005, 07:36 PM
I have been working to import my Reunion file directly to Filemaker and have been stymied by finding that the imported text file of individuals contains many errors. I don't have time or space to cover all of these but examples are that the name suffix field is wrong for most records and in most cases the total children doesn't match the sum of male, female and unknown.
I only use the name prefix, not the suffix, in my family database.

So I made up a test file with both a prefix and suffix, and added some children. All the fields and the number of children were correct in the text export.

Are you on the latest version (8.06 for OS X)? You could also try a repair of your family file.

Cheers

fjvanbodegom
24 March 2005, 10:07 AM
... I have checked many of these errors in the reunion file and in all cases the Reunion file was correct. I also opened the tab delimited text file and found the same errors there so it appears that the Reunion export function is at fault.

What I am wondering is if anyone can confirm these errors with their files. I would appreciate any feedback here. I have repeated the export/import effort 4 times with the same results but maybe I am missing something.

I never have had problems with exporting Reunion data to a database, but ... with your question I did some experiments.
And with the amount of children you are right and I can reproduce this.
Export TEXT. Mark one card. Choose export (only marked people) by: ID nr, name, total # of Children, # Male Children, # of Female children # unknown children.
The total amount of children is correct, but NOT the amount of male and or female children. Strange enough, when you change the order of the fields (with the same family) you get complete other results.
This must be a bug in Reunion, but I am not sure if Leister is known with this strange fenomenon. Perhaps can Leister respond ?

Frans van Bodegom
Dutch Reunion User Group

S. Kennedy
25 March 2005, 12:49 AM
I
This must be a bug in Reunion, but I am not sure if Leister is known with this strange fenomenon. Perhaps can Leister respond ?

Frans van Bodegom
Dutch Reunion User Group

Thanks for checking this out. I tried exporting again but with the suffix field moved to near the top of the fields to export list. This time the suffixs all were correct but the fields for the number of children (total, male, female and unknown) were almost all wrong. I am exporting about 1000 individuals. I too hope that Leister might look at this.

Michael
25 March 2005, 11:20 AM
I never have had problems with exporting Reunion data to a database, but ... with your question I did some experiments.

And with the amount of children you are right and I can reproduce this.
Export TEXT. Mark one card. Choose export (only marked people) by: ID nr, name, total # of Children, # Male Children, # of Female children # unknown children.

The total amount of children is correct, but NOT the amount of male and or female children. Strange enough, when you change the order of the fields (with the same family) you get complete other results.
This must be a bug in Reunion, but I am not sure if Leister is known with this strange fenomenon. Perhaps can Leister respond ?Thanks for pointing this out -- we're taking a look at it.

jane in l.a.
28 September 2005, 12:17 AM

You're welcome to a copy 'as is, where is'. E-mail me if interested.Tom (or anyone able to help!),

Have you been able to EXPORT FileMaker records to a gedcom? I am often asked for information in my FileMaker records and have a devil of a time getting it in a useable format for them. The usual 'tab-separated text', etc., just doesn't do it.

Thanks!

Tom Robinson
29 September 2005, 10:27 PM
Have you been able to EXPORT FileMaker records to a gedcom? I am often asked for information in my FileMaker records and have a devil of a time getting it in a useable format for them. The usual 'tab-separated text', etc., just doesn't do it.
The problem is your database will be in a different format from the next person's, so there's not going to be a one-size-fits-all solution.

Off The Top Of My Head you may be able to export people record-by-record by using a calculation field to create a GEDCOM, and you could probably add a variation to export multiple people. As soon as you add sources or relationships it gets a lot more complicated.

What's your reasons for not storing the data in Reunion?

theKiwi
30 September 2005, 08:21 AM
Reunion can import a flat tab separated text file, so it seems that it's not that difficult to have FileMaker Pro export a tab separated text file and then import that into Reunion. You get to choose in Reunion what columns from the text file go into what Person fields in Reunion so that names, dates, places etc wind up in the correct Reunion fields.

The result of this in Reunion is a whole bunch of separated people all as unlinked individuals. You could then link them together in Reunion.

But as Tom points out without knowing the exact setup of your FileMaker database it's impossible to say whether you could actually write a GEDCOM file out of it or not. It certainly wouldn't be easy, and for a one-off thing would be much easier to just import the text file into Reunion and do the linking there rather than figure out how to have FileMaker generate a properly formatted and linked GEDCOM file.

Roger

jane in l.a.
30 September 2005, 11:06 PM
The problem is your database will be in a different format from the next person's, so there's not going to be a one-size-fits-all solution.

Off The Top Of My Head you may be able to export people record-by-record by using a calculation field to create a GEDCOM, and you could probably add a variation to export multiple people. As soon as you add sources or relationships it gets a lot more complicated.

What's your reasons for not storing the data in Reunion?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for answering. I have all my own family in Reunion. The FileMaker records I began inputing about 8-9 years ago in trying to keep track of a particular surname. I now have over 16,500 records and have been getting requests from people to send them 'family groups' out of that database. I was hoping that if I could export those records in a format that Reunion could read, that I could clean it up in Reunion then export a gedcom for them. So far, none of the people have had FileMaker and are not MAC users.

Jane

jane in l.a.
30 September 2005, 11:26 PM
Reunion can import a flat tab separated text file, so it seems that it's not that difficult to have FileMaker Pro export a tab separated text file and then import that into Reunion. You get to choose in Reunion what columns from the text file go into what Person fields in Reunion so that names, dates, places etc wind up in the correct Reunion fields.

The result of this in Reunion is a whole bunch of separated people all as unlinked individuals. You could then link them together in Reunion...Roger!

Thank you for the idea. I exported some FileMaker records to a tab-separated file. When I opened a new Reunion window and went to import these text records, a window popped up that let me define fields then select which field would be assigned to each bit of info. Worked like a charm! Of course, it needs cleaning up and people will have to be linked, it sure beats the cumbersome hand-typing I was doing!

Thanks again everyone for your help.
Jane

S. Kennedy
31 December 2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks for pointing this out -- we're taking a look at it.

Michael,

I am curious if you found a problem with the Reunion export code and if so will this be fixed in the new version? I really would like to be able to export reliably to FM. I noticed that there is a new thread on exporting to FM and I hope users are aware of this thread and the related problems.

S. Kennedy

antoon deryckere
01 January 2006, 07:15 AM

I exported my family file to filemaker. It went fine for all the text but what about the dates?

antoon deryckere
02 January 2006, 11:33 AM
This evening I experimented and was able to successfully export a selected group of individuals to a File Maker file. I'm thinking about a surname project and believe that Filemaker will facilitate the process.
Jim Selover
How did you do to have the dates wright?
I tried as weel and it was fine for text (only)

Michael
04 January 2006, 02:29 PM
I am curious if you found a problem with the Reunion export code and if so will this be fixed in the new version?Yes. This will be fixed in Reunion 9.

Tom Robinson
04 January 2006, 09:36 PM
How did you do to have the dates wright?
I tried as weel and it was fine for text (only)
I don't fully understand what you've written, but to convert a 'dd mmm yyyy' text field in a FileMaker database to a FM date field, use the following calc:

Date(
Position(" JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec";MiddleWords(Imported Field;2;1);1;1)/3;
LeftWords(Imported Field;1);
RightWords(Imported Field;1))