PDA

View Full Version : Unrelated Person - How to Link Later - Help!

davidferleger
03 November 2005, 11:46 PM
New here -- Have used the Reunion demo, read the little tutorial there, and looked through the 12 pages of threads/notes.

It appears that the weight of opinion here is to use ONE Reunion family file, and not to make up separate files for people who are not presently known/confirmed to be part of the family. I know that there is option for ADD UNRELATED PERSON.

I am about to start for first time a family tree. There are many names of people who, as I input them, will not have known wives/husbands/kids etc. But, as I go forward, I will find/determine that there are people who are connected to them.

For example, Person A who lives in Town 1 will have some information about her. But no link to anyone else in the Tree/File at the time I enter Person A.
Maybe 20 or 30 people later, I will find someone and figure out that Person B is the spouse or child of Person A. Or I will realize that someone else, already
entered as a separate single person, Person C, actually should be connected in some way to Person A.

- Assuming I use ONE family file (which seems to be recommended by most here),
a. how do I enter these initially-unconnected people?
b. how do I later connect them to someone later seen to be their child or spouse, or uncle or whatever?
c. Would one enter phantom parents, for example? The name of Person A and then, for mom/dad, a fake "PERSON A'S MOM NAME" as a placeholder?

Thank you
David
david@ferleger.com
feel free to email.

David G. Kanter
04 November 2005, 12:55 AM
. . .Assuming I use ONE family file (which seems to be recommended by most here),
a. how do I enter these initially-unconnected people?You'd use that "Edit->Add Unrelated Person->Male/Female/Unknown Sex" function that you have already noted.
b. how do I later connect them to someone later seen to be their child or spouse, or uncle or whatever?You use the green "+" pop-up menu above the name of each person already on a Family Card to link them to a a person already in the Family File as their spouse, father, or mother (i.e., using the Existing Spouse, Existing Father, or Existing Mother options in that pop-up menu). And you use the blue "+" pop-up menu on the right side, near the bottom, of the Family Card to link a person already in the Family file as a child on that Family Card (i.e., using the Existing Male Child, Existing Female Child, and Existing Unknown Sex Child options in that pop-up menu).
c. Would one enter phantom parents, for example? The name of Person A and then, for mom/dad, a fake "PERSON A'S MOM NAME" as a placeholder?I'd use "dummy" parent placeholder when I have no further information on parents, but if I have entered known siblings and/or if a person has multiple relationships

Legolas
13 November 2005, 01:07 PM
c. Would one enter phantom parents, for example? The name of Person A and then, for mom/dad, a fake "PERSON A'S MOM NAME" as a placeholder?

I personnaly do not create phantom parents unless I have some information about them or about a brother or a sister of that person. You can even only create his/her mother or his/her father without creating both.